Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Man Sau

Asking Hand?

This is a signature posture, nothing else imho.

Wong Fei Hung had a symbolic asking hand posture where he splayed his arms wide one front one back, one high one low and both in a tansau (or outlayed palms). I even think Bruce Lee had his own asking hand.

There is no contact involved initially. It's a pre-set fighting posture that is already in place before anything else happens. Once contact is made, technical terms are in use depending on the situation and arm positioning, which means the question has been answered.

Mun Sau is only asking the question. It isn't the concluding answer by any means...

All that math made my eyes go blurry Ali!! What did this have to do with the thread??
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I'm sorry

To bad you didn’t read it through, then you have seen… That’s ok, cause it’s typical for most to read two chapters of a story from a book, and then come out with there own ending…

Ali Rahim.

Everything!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Asking Hand?

All that math made my eyes go blurry Ali!! What did this have to do with the thread??

Its just a diagram of the science behind minimizing distance and maximzing followthrough, especially since the Man-Sao is supported by the structure of that defensive(small) triangle. When you try to punch with a Man-Sao it follows through to the large triangle...at that point its not Man anymore beause there is no support of structure other than a follwthrough on a strike...whatever strike it may be.

In the Woo Fai Ching System, 'asking' with a strike( IF you even want to call it that) is called Keun Sue Keun(Fist parries Fist) not Man-Sao.
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。
    I hear, I forget; I see, I remember; I do, I understand.

Math doesn’t lie, unless one has the problem wrong…

Ali Rahim.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali. R View Post
    “Mon Sao” is not just holding your arm up and posing, when one has problems understanding it or using it, their wing chun attacks will be less then resolve…

This is the very basic way on how to use the “Mon Sao”, most didn’t like it here in the U.S. but this article is doing well in many different Countries in Europe, it’s actually hosted in many different website there…

http://detroitwingchun.com/steinerdigrams.htm

Take care,

Ali Rahim.
    Honestly I must be really stupid becouse I'm always lost when you start talking about that steiner stuff. Should have gone to college...

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    Honestly I must be really stupid becouse I'm always lost when you start talking about that steiner stuff. Should have gone to college...

That’s ok, just look at the pretty picture…

Ali Rahim.

Lighten up. Dude!

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post

Dont be so hard on yourself. You will get it. Besides, this is the Woo Fai Ching System. If what your line does works for you...keep doing it.
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。

Hmmm...

Math doesn’t lie, unless one has the problem wrong...
    I must've missed something, but I only spotted one reference to 'mon sao' relating to dia.13a, red dot 2. Then you go on to 'name' a few examples.

Although I agree that there can be strategies played using asking hand for a set-up, and that there is an ultimate 'power structure' to your asking hand if placed in a certain way, this to me still goes outside the explanation required for something far simpler imo.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I love you WC guys !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Math doesn’t lie, unless one has the problem wrong…

Ali Rahim.
    Mathematics is used to lie, ask any statistician.
    Take care out there and keep

me
    www.tjwingchun.co.uk
    sifu
    www.kwokwingchun.com
    sigung
    www.ipchun.org
    my family
    www.ipfamilywingchun.com

questions are how we grow, answers how we develop

Things that make you go.....

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    I must've missed something, but I only spotted one reference to 'mon sao' relating to dia.13a, red dot 2. Then you go on to 'name' a few examples.

Although I agree that there can be strategies played using asking hand for a set-up, and that there is an ultimate 'power structure' to your asking hand if placed in a certain way, this to me still goes outside the explanation required for something far simpler imo.

Sound structure supports ALL of Wing Chun. The defensive structure supports, Man, Tan, Bong, Fook, Pak... any of the defensive movements. But since this thread is about Man-Sao and what it actually is, the diagram is here to define what we do in the Woo Fai Ching System. And since we do not define Man-Sao as a strike, the diagram shows how it is supported with a defensive structure, as with any of the asking, bridging or defensive movements.
    Context helps with the explainations.
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by tjwingchun View Post

Then by admission or choice their equation is wrong.

Ali Rahim.

Stay focused.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwingchun View Post

But this is another subject for another thread for another forum.
    我听见,我忘记;我看见,我记住;我做,我了解。

Quote Originally Posted by Graychuan View Post
    But since this thread is about Man-Sao and what it actually is, the diagram is here to define what we do in the Woo Fai Ching System.
    Exactly my point! What mun sau actually IS is nothing to do with the Woo Fai Ching System. That's how YOU view it.

I read two characters and used past Martial Artists to highlight what an 'asking hand' is, what it may or can look like, not what it's purpose or mathematical equation is.

Silly me for being simple minded
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

My view of Man Sau.

On its way out it is extended initially as a covering strike, while "asking" for contact with your opponents arms, if it gets no contact then it manitains its purpose and lands as a strike, if a contact is made with a blocking arm it changes to a controlling technique and the other hand is initiated as a Man Sau, with the same intent to strike while being flexible to cover defensively your oppponents other arm.
    Take care out there and keep

me
    www.tjwingchun.co.uk
    sifu
    www.kwokwingchun.com
    sigung
    www.ipchun.org
    my family
    www.ipfamilywingchun.com

questions are how we grow, answers how we develop