Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing chun sparring clip

Wing chun sparring clip

Hi all, i came across this clip It could be old news so apologies if it is.
    I think its Aaron Baum of CSL/alan orr. Apparently he went down to the boiler room/Carlson Gracie london and asked to spar.
    I would personally first like to give props to mr Baum/Alan orr for their promotion of wing chun as a valid fighting style and their apparent willingness to get out and 'mix it up' Comments appreciated but please keep critical comments constructive

LINK
    Last edited by forever young; 02-10-2008 at 04:51 AM. Reason: duh forgot link

I think you're right. I think that was one of Alan Orr's guys. Note...it wasn't his Wing Chun that was his weakness. It was his ground-fighting. This just shows that's its hard to keep from being taken down by someone who knows what they're doing! I think this also shows that its hard to do "classical" Wing Chun against someone that doesn't give you a good bridge to "stick" to and "follow." When someone is essentially boxing, you are in a situation where you have to "box" back a lot of the time. Alan talks about WCK as being "chinese boxing" and this clip reflects that. The person that posted on the clip with the comment "this isn't Wing Chun, just bad kickboxing" doesn't know what they are talking about. Just my 2 cents!

hi guys

yes that is me being taken down at will by leo...ill get him one day..Lol...what you said KPM is true...also you have to bare in mind the level of leos ability to fight, i have skills and have competed and done relatively well but leo is a monster specimen and grappler who has won world titles...there arent many like him around thank god lol...this was also 3 years ago and i had barely started any proper ground fighting training, hence why i went to see leo to improve, and help me he did with a big cookie monster smile on his face...he is a true ronin and warrior..

this is the first time i met him...funny story attached to it as well...a friend who had started to train with him asked if i would like to train with leo, a multiple world jiu jitsiu champion who has grown up with noguera, anderson silva etc...so next`thing im stood outside carlson grace at 6am to train meet and train with him...we walk down into the boiler room which is a proper old school gym...small, smashed to bits etc...leo is asleep in a sleeping bag on the floor...he wakes up,climbs out says hello and asks if i have any gloves...i say yes...and 30 seconds later im sparring with a world champion with mma gloves on...quality...lol

it wasnt full bore just a friendly test of what we could do...it showed me 2 things...firstly there was no ego, no pride no bull****, he didnt know me or what i could do, yet he just wanted to spar straight off...and we immediately forged a respect and friendship...never met a man with so much skill and so much humility...hed drive you nuts being so brazilian in character but always fun to be around...secondly it helped me forge a spirit to fight at any time, anywhere...stop thinking about it, just do it...gloves on and go...

looking at the clip i think you could say i needed to learn how to sprawl..lol..but it showed my weaknesses which is the name of the game..filling the holes...

best

aaron

Quote Originally Posted by aaron baum View Post
    but it showed my weaknesses which is the name of the game..filling the holes...
    This point about "filling the holes" is CRUCIAL, and it shows a fighter's perspective. It takes GOOD QUALITY opponents to really show you your weaknesses (since they can step on the slightest mistake, and you can often get away with crap when playing with crap opponents). And you can't see the weaknesses in your game if you are not PLAYING the game.

Not bad in the longer range standup, Aaron...but you didn't cover your lines/gates/distance adequately and each time you were taken down it was because he simply shot in underneath a punch you were throwing.

So the punches were not covering enough of the crucial space and in time to make him block or engage - he simply could slip underneath.

Won't get into what happened once on the ground and how I might have done it differently - since I just want to talk wing chun and standup right now.

But good to see the sparring. Keep on doin' it!
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 02-10-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    Not bad in the longer range standup, Alan...but you didn't cover your lines/gates/distance adequately and each time you were taken down it was because he simply shot in underneath a punch you were throwing.

So the punches were not covering enough of the crucial space and in time to make him block or engage - he simply could slip underneath.

Won't get into what happened once on the ground and how I might have done it differently - since I just want to talk wing chun and standup right now.

That was Aaron, not Alan.

Your "technical advice" is nonsense. Go try your "ideas" out against a top quality fighter like Leo (how close are you to Renzo and Serra's schools?), and you'll see that you will get taken down at will too. It's timing, pure and simple. You develop it by training (sparring) with really good people (who are really good because they have great timing). It's not something technical, it's not something you can get from anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron baum View Post
    hi guys

yes that is me being taken down at will by leo...ill get him one day..Lol...what you said KPM is true...also you have to bare in mind the level of leos ability to fight, i have skills and have competed and done relatively well but leo is a monster specimen and grappler who has won world titles...there arent many like him around thank god lol...this was also 3 years ago and i had barely started any proper ground fighting training, hence why i went to see leo to improve, and help me he did with a big cookie monster smile on his face...he is a true ronin and warrior..

this is the first time i met him...funny story attached to it as well...a friend who had started to train with him asked if i would like to train with leo, a multiple world jiu jitsiu champion who has grown up with noguera, anderson silva etc...so next`thing im stood outside carlson grace at 6am to train meet and train with him...we walk down into the boiler room which is a proper old school gym...small, smashed to bits etc...leo is asleep in a sleeping bag on the floor...he wakes up,climbs out says hello and asks if i have any gloves...i say yes...and 30 seconds later im sparring with a world champion with mma gloves on...quality...lol

it wasnt full bore just a friendly test of what we could do...it showed me 2 things...firstly there was no ego, no pride no bull****, he didnt know me or what i could do, yet he just wanted to spar straight off...and we immediately forged a respect and friendship...never met a man with so much skill and so much humility...hed drive you nuts being so brazilian in character but always fun to be around...secondly it helped me forge a spirit to fight at any time, anywhere...stop thinking about it, just do it...gloves on and go...

looking at the clip i think you could say i needed to learn how to sprawl..lol..but it showed my weaknesses which is the name of the game..filling the holes...

best

aaron
    Thanks for your comments Aaron and mad respect to you sir, i know those carlson guys are tough cookies

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    I think you're right. I think that was one of Alan Orr's guys. Note...it wasn't his Wing Chun that was his weakness. It was his ground-fighting. This just shows that's its hard to keep from being taken down by someone who knows what they're doing! I think this also shows that its hard to do "classical" Wing Chun against someone that doesn't give you a good bridge to "stick" to and "follow." When someone is essentially boxing, you are in a situation where you have to "box" back a lot of the time. Alan talks about WCK as being "chinese boxing" and this clip reflects that. The person that posted on the clip with the comment "this isn't Wing Chun, just bad kickboxing" doesn't know what they are talking about. Just my 2 cents!
    also i would agree with these comments, infact did you read my mind!!!!!!

I think if that is 3 years ago with minimal ground and standup grappling training you did quite well. How can a person with no grappling expect to beat a world class grappler in a 1 on 1 fight? The first few UFC's showed us that grappling trumps striking..you need a good grappling base to be able to use stiking in an NHB environment.

Talking about gates, lines and theory is crap when analysing this type of situation..it couldn't have gone any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    Not bad in the longer range standup, Alan...but you didn't cover your lines/gates/distance adequately and each time you were taken down it was because he simply shot in underneath a punch you were throwing.

But how exactly do you do that?

Hi Guys

Yes, this was 3 years ago when my student Aaron first hooked up with Leo for a spar. Since then Leo has been teaching my guys and me BJJ. Shame we don't have the clips of Aaron and Me going through the wall one night! lol that was funny.

This clip show Aaron's now famous 'Tree tunk defence' ie stand and then fall. LOL!

Aaron is well known for his hitting power, most of the guys at the gym can't trade with him. He is the most humble fighter I am proud to train him. Leo loves training my guys as they just get on with it, no egos.

Leo is a tough as nails fighter and a good friend. Every session is hard core.

Victor please go to Renzo and Serra's school and see if your ideas work out. Its the only way to really know. The timing of these top guys is another level.

I have trained with Renzo about 8 years ago, he is a nice as can be and a very high level. If you can stop someone of that level I would like to hear about it.

Regards

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Orr View Post
    Victor please go to Renzo and Serra's school and see if your ideas work out. Its the only way to really know. The timing of these top guys is another level.

I have trained with Renzo about 8 years ago, he is a nice as can be and a very high level. If you can stop someone of that level I would like to hear about it.

Regards

Alan
    thats cool you guys train bjj. I personally believe grappling and WC are complementary arts. Thats cool you trained with Renzo, you can't really anymore. I visited the school, didn't get to meet him. All the same, I have allot of respect for him and his family (although I personal believe they are not as relevant anymore).

It looked like a fun sparring match. If you do make some clips, please let me know. as always its good watching you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    thats cool you guys train bjj. I personally believe grappling and WC are complementary arts. Thats cool you trained with Renzo, you can't really anymore. I visited the school, didn't get to meet him. All the same, I have allot of respect for him and his family (although I personal believe they are not as relevant anymore).

It looked like a fun sparring match. If you do make some clips, please let me know. as always its good watching you guys.

Why do you think that? Serra is UFC champ. Renzo team is very strong. Roger G goes and trains with them and is a champion.

Who do you train with and what systems?

Thanks, we will putting up a lot of new sparring clips soon.

Regards

Alan

The last thing I'm going to do, Alan, is walk into Serra or Renzo's school and ask to spar with someone so that I can show them how I can make it real difficult to get a clean shot at my legs or lower body because I'm too busy pounding them as they try to come in on lines that block the path they're trying to take - or make it so difficult that when they do shoot I have a clean sprawl or a
    w h i z z e r awaiting them that puts me on top and them on the bottom.

That's a formula for some nasty 5hit to go down while in somebody else's school...LOL. No thank you.

But I'll show you and your guys when we get together. I actually see some very strong similarities between what Aaron was doing from long range and what I do from that range - but my standup game changes into a very different look once I force the issue (or the opponent forces it) to a closer stand up range. That's where the biggest differences lie. Which I'll be more-than-happy to share with you and your guys when we meet up.

And I still plan on some vids here on this forum covering similar scenarios with guys trained in other systems who might be visiting my school at some point during the remainder of this winter.

That was some smooooooooooooooth SH 1 T