Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shuai Jiao vs Judo Rules Question

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    Touche!

or Touch-e

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    hey, none of that here...get a room!
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Ho Chun View Post
    You can get good quality Shuai Chiao uniforms through David Lin's website, it's:

http://www.combatshuaichiao.com/

I hope this helps.
    I have one of his jackets and they are great for training but I don't recommend it for tournements. It's much thinner material than what most everyone else will be wearing and they will have a huge advantage in getting a good grip before you do.

Quote Originally Posted by shuaichiao View Post
    I have one of his jackets and they are great for training but I don't recommend it for tournements. It's much thinner material than what most everyone else will be wearing and they will have a huge advantage in getting a good grip before you do.
    do you think that the black jackets would be allowed?

all my folks that are coming to do san shou have those black ones already, it'd be sweet monetarilly if they could use them and compete SC as well.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

mas judt,

Apologies. I read what I wrote, puzzled a moment over your response, then realized what my post must have looked like. I emphasized the word training to distinguish that I do not compete at high levels. I didn't want anybody to think I was claiming a particular level of skill and experience in judo that I can't back up, and do not have it was not meant to suggest that "I have experience and clearly you do not, so what do you mean gripping isn't a major judo thing, etc."

I know nothing of SC, other than what I have read here, so my comment that you made an interesting observation was exactly that; gripping seems to be a tremendous focus of high level judo, which, perhaps, stands in contrast to those learning to throw...a different emphasis perhaps? Dunno.
    Last edited by Merryprankster; 02-16-2008 at 12:06 PM.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    do you think that the black jackets would be allowed?

all my folks that are coming to do san shou have those black ones already, it'd be sweet monetarilly if they could use them and compete SC as well.
    I've never known there to be any rule on the color of the jacket but I'm not hosting the tournement either.

Quote Originally Posted by shuaichiao View Post
    I've never known there to be any rule on the color of the jacket but I'm not hosting the tournement either.
    i'll ask Sifu Gino, thanks.

MP - not a biggie. I was just clarifying that I don't know everything about Judo and can only speak to my experiences.

The problem with many of these kinds of discussions is they often fail in clearly defining differences. I remember a thread that sought to make the point that certain wrestling moves or weightlifting moves did the *same* thing as certain moves in Chen Taiji. And while, on a superficial level the poster was correct - you will syill never develop Chen specific skills with those other pursuits.

I don't see that so much here, as both are stand up grappling arts so they have a lot more in common than they don't. But there are plus/minus differences between the two both generally and specifically, but it does not devalue either. It just depends on the goal you are seeking to achieve.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Great Lakes Kung Fu Championships

OSO and everyone that may have questions:

It does not matter what style of SC jacket you wear at our tournament. It does not matter what color they are. You can cut the sleeves off a Judo jacket if you want. (An expensive cut at $200).

SC jackets have shorter tighter sleeves so there is less ability to grip from the sleeve. They are tighter around the body as well. This to make it a bit harder for fighters grab and grip the jackets.

Anyone that has Sc rules questions, please let me know.

Ginosifu

ok, sweet. thanks.

No modified Karate Gi's

OSO,

Just finished a converstion with John Ervin. He stated he will allow any style Shuai Chiao jacket. They must be a thick heavy weight material jacket. He will not allow modified karate Gi's. I think the Combat Shuai Chiao guys modify their karate gi's and thats why they are a bit cheaper.

So if it looks like something other than a SC or Judo jacket, then it will not be allowed.

Ginosifu

ok, so the Combat SC tops are out because they are thin but a modified single weave judo jacket will be ok?

just trying to get the details straight so we come prepared. thanks.

Oso

I think they will be ok, but you should call John and make sure. I am not familiar with the Judo jackets.

216 587-3478

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    I think the Combat Shuai Chiao guys modify their karate gi's and thats why they are a bit cheaper.
    Actually it's because they're made from parachute fabric, which makes 'em dam near indestructable. I dunno why they're cheaper.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

i'd a said it was ripstop fabric like the old jungle weight bdu's but yea, light weight and strong.