Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lau Gar anyone?

The Lau family from the hung gar side comes from Lam Sai Wing ...

Yes, I think he is referring to Lau Gar in the UK, which,from various peices of research appears to bear little similarity to the Lau Family Hung Gar or the Lau Gar Hung Gar form.

I may be entirely wrong though

there are some threads over here and on Martial Arts Planet about Lau Gar and its history but I'm tired of discussing/arguing about its dodgy origins these days.

PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

Quote Originally Posted by Su Lin View Post
    there are some threads over here and on Martial Arts Planet about Lau Gar and its history but I'm tired of discussing/arguing about its dodgy origins these days.
    You have a good point. I have been trying to learn more about the style but there are so many contradicting storys about i never know if the info i am getting is right. apart from that which comes from the sifu ofcourse. And as it seems that the chinese Lau Gar is a different style again, its up to us uk Lau Gar people to learn the history so we can put the world straight and i need to learn alot

I know the feeling! Where you based if you don't mind me asking? To be honest,I got so fed up with all the arguing and bickering about lineage I just put my head down and concentrated on trianing. However,my classes are virtually non existent at the moment,so I'm back to being a keyboard warrior

I am going to classes in wrexham and also oswestry held by Brian Nelson, but i would love to do more.
    Are you still able to train without going to classes? I find it hard without someone pushing me.

Quote Originally Posted by brainwars View Post
    You have a good point. I have been trying to learn more about the style but there are so many contradicting storys about i never know if the info i am getting is right. apart from that which comes from the sifu ofcourse. And as it seems that the chinese Lau Gar is a different style again, its up to us uk Lau Gar people to learn the history so we can put the world straight and i need to learn alot
    Short History Lesson:
    Jeremy Yau started teaching in the 70's, before that Lau Gar was unknown in the UK (or pretty much anywhere for that matter).
    The BKFA state:
    "Lau Gar Kuen is derived from a form of boxing practiced at Kuei Ling Temple situated in Kong Sai (Guangxi) Province in west China. It was learned from a monk on retreat from that temple by Master Lau Sam Ngan, "Three Eyed Lau", a tiger hunter, whom we honour as founder of our style."

The idea that "3-eyed lau" is the founder of Lau Gar seems to be supported elsewhere, though there are other people who could fit the bill.

From a Combat magazine article about the history of Lau Gar:
    "There are differing accounts of who might be the founder of this system. One source claims the style, was founded by Liu QingShan. However, the most commonly accepted version is that it was founded by Liu Sheng of the Qing Emperor QianLon period (CE 1736). Liu was also known as Liu SanYan (Three Eyes) because of an eye-like scar between his two eyes."

So I think we can assume that, to our best knowledge, 3-eyed Lau is the likely founder.

The BKFA also state:
    "The British Kung Fu Association was set up in 1973 and Master Jeremy Yau, being the keeper of the Lau Gar style, was invited to be the Chief Instructor"

This is, however, only claimed by the BKFA. I have not seen one shred of evidence to support this. Though that said, how does one prove your lineage?

Jeremy Yau has stated in an interview:
    "First, let me say that there are no DIFFERENT kinds of Lau Gar. What has happened is that, later, people have claimed that they are Lau Gar because it was one of the lesser known of the Shaolin styles. The practice of Lau Gar was restricted. It was only taught to a limited amount of people. Now, Lau Gar originated in Shaolin, obviously, but our specific founder was a man named Lau Sam Man, "Three-Eyed" Lau, from the Kongsi Province. My grandfather actually went into China to learn it"

Again, this is only claimed by Jeremy Yau. Do all the searching you like, and it keeps coming back the Jeremy Yau's claim.

It seems quite clear that there is an authentically recognised Lau Gar school in China, that claims the same lineage (ie it one of the 5 family southern styles) as the UK Lau Gar, but looks totally different; see the video's already posted.

So in short, what we have is:
    1) a style that appeared in the 60's/70's with no other evidence apart from Jeremy Yau's word that it is the southern family style Lau Style.
    2) another style in china claiming the same thing, with a newspaper article supporting the idea that Xiao Yong Ding is the holder of the style.

I think it's clear to see they are different styles. What is pretty much impossible to say is if one goes back to 3-eyed lau, and the other doesn't. And if so, which is which!

wow you have definately done your homework but i'm still in the same position man where can i get a definitive answer ( if there is any).Looks like you ,me and a hole bunch of other practitioners are going round in circles trying to get answers. Also there seems to be no footage on youtube (other than bad), whats going on?.

The BKFA are (apparently) in the process of producing some definitive/up-to-date syllabus DVD's - so until then, there isn't going to be any stuff on youtube. Which makes commerical sense I guess.

You might like to see Jeremy Yau in action though, here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0VuuBcLjzQ

As for a definitive answer, I seriously doubt you are going to get one unless you go to China.
    It seems to me that the idea that UK Lau Gar is THE southern family is flimsy at best, however:

One problem is, I think, how much evidence you need to support a claim to a lineage. AFAICS Jeremy Yau seems to say as much (and as little) as most people who teach in the UK. One thing I keep meaning to do is look at other schools and see what paperwork/evidence they have to support whatever lineage claim they have, and compare that to what Jeremy Yau has.

Lau Gar Hong Kong

I know from Jeremy Yau's cousin that here is still one person teaching Lau Gar as taught by Jeremy Yau's grandfather in Hong Kong. He is very low key, and I dont know much more than that. But it is still in Hong Kong.
    Kune Belay Sau

Now that would be extremely interesting to know more about!

I know a few people in HK, so we could check it out.

Be amazing to know more about him. The annoying thing with all of this is that it's never concrete stuff, it's always someone who knows someone who said something...
    This goes both ways; for rumours that Jeremy Yau made it all it, and for his lineage being the true one. All very annoying!

Quote Originally Posted by Wong Ying Home View Post
    Lau Gar Hong Kong

I know from Jeremy Yau's cousin that here is still one person teaching Lau Gar as taught by Jeremy Yau's grandfather in Hong Kong. He is very low key, and I dont know much more than that. But it is still in Hong Kong.
    Are you talking about the Lau Gar branch in Foshan? if so, coach Xia is a student of master Yaus'! I read this on the official BKFA website. There is a few paragraphs on this under 'chinese connection' on the BKFA site.
    i don't know any more than what i have read on that site. What do you reckon?
    Last edited by brainwars; 03-26-2008 at 03:41 PM. Reason: grammer

No definately not Foshan, the guys I spoke about are in Hong Kong, and are students direct from SiFu Jeremy Yau's grandfather
    Kune Belay Sau

Quote Originally Posted by brainwars View Post
    Are you talking about the Lau Gar branch in Foshan? if so, coach Xia is a student of master Yaus'! I read this on the official BKFA website. There is a few paragraphs on this under 'chinese connection' on the BKFA site.
    i don't know any more than what i have read on that site. What do you reckon?
    It's not really a Lau Gar school there though is it? It's a wushu school that the BKFA see once a year, and teach some LG to.
    Makes you wonder why no-one from the BKFA goes to find the mainland Lau Gar guy (Xiao Yong Ding) whilst they are over there... That said, i'm guessing GoungDong is a pretty huge place.