Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lau Gar anyone?

Lau Gar anyone?

How do people ! only just joined this website just poking around to see if there are any Lau Gar practioners here. Also wanted to find out the general feeling towards Lau Gar. Peace!!!

Which Lau Gar you talking about? I like the Lau Gar I've seen from China. Looks very strong and energetic. Haven't seen the other Lau Gar (which is popular in Brittan, I think).

Thanks for the reply. The Lau Gar i refer to is the style being taught in britain but to be honest i thought it was the same. Do you know where i can find footage of the chinese Lau Gar sounds good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EuCH1AKV6s

Guandong Lau Gar

Five Animals set.

I'm a UK lau gar guy... where abouts/with whom do you train?

I am doing my training in north wales. are you any where close? Maybe we should have a fight ! lol peace!

Another Lau Gar vid (about .55 in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgLITXrsjN0

Is there any good footage of the UK Lau Gar? I've never seen it before

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rad View Post
    There are plenty of examples on youtube (not Lau Gar Kuen) , but; (in my own opinion) there are non that really do the style justice.
    i can paste a few links to different uk Lau Gar sites so you can indulge in the art, these sites can draw you a more informed picture than i.

http://www.veiramartialarts.co.uk/
    Here is one with a little background story and a little footage, but there are lots of sites, too many to choose.
    Last edited by brainwars; 02-07-2008 at 03:53 PM. Reason: wrong info

Cool, thanks :-)

BTW, anyone know the name of that Lau Gar teacher in China or have a general history of their system?

Just read that the main Lau Gar teacher in mainland China is Xiao Yong Ding (Siu Wing Ding) from somewhere in Guangdong province.

And one thing about the UK website

To this day it is impossible to find a teacher in China who teaches only Lau Gar. The sets of Lau Gar were incorporated long ago into the Hung Gar syllabus and it is here one has to look, to find a Chinese Master of Lau Gar.
    The Lau Gar in Hung Gar is not related to the Lau Gar system. Acording to the Hung Gar people, it's a form from Mok Gar that was introduced by a student of Lam Sai Wing who happened to be named Lau (and the Lau Ga staff form was from a southern mantis guy also named Lau, according to wikipedia). And there's also the current Lau family Hung Gar family which is pretty famous. ? for Hung Gar guys: Are they related to Lam Sai Wing's student, or are they yet another Lau family that's become involved in Hung Gar's development? It's easy to see how people can get confused about Lau Gar, lol.

The wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lau_Gar

From a discussion I read on another forum there was some question/confusion as to whether the UK Lau Gar actually came from the famous Chinese Lau Gar, or something else.

Cheers for the link! there are some interesting points in there, the best being that Master Jeremy Yau IS the head of Lau Gar Kuen as i thought it was a completely different style to the Lau Gar i am learning. I feel like a bit of a tit now but cheers for not pointing that out. If you know of any other sources that can give me correct info,it would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Rad View Post
    In general the answer is "no".There is really bad UK Lau Gar on the web.

And I do Lau Gar (but not BKFA) , just started MMA too though Are you training? If so who under? I'm presuming it will be Brian Nelson if you are north wales?