Thread: China MMA

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Is that a once a week routine, or more often?
    Every Saturday morning 9-11 AM... we have about 15 people or so that participate some of them are High School and College wrestlers, amateur MMA practitioners, and people from other arts that come to cross train with us.

Our regular classes are hand's on and once the initial concept it taught it is put to the test on resistant opponents... my focus is that everything that I teach is applicable in a real life/street scenario. We do a lot 2/3/4/5 vs ones. We also have days were they come in for sparring training in regular clothes, not sweats more jeans, slacks, etc I want them to experience what it is like to fight with their regular everyday work clothes.
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

Quote Originally Posted by pateticorecords View Post
    Every Saturday morning 9-11 AM... we have about 15 people or so that participate some of them are High School and College wrestlers, amateur MMA practitioners, and people from other arts that come to cross train with us.

Our regular classes are hand's on and once the initial concept it taught it is put to the test on resistant opponents... my focus is that everything that I teach is applicable in a real life/street scenario. We do a lot 2/3/4/5 vs ones. We also have days were they come in for sparring training in regular clothes, not sweats more jeans, slacks, etc I want them to experience what it is like to fight with their regular everyday work clothes.
    Is your KF and MMA classes combined, or are they separate? If their separate do you get many of the KF folks showing up for sparring?

It's awesome if your getting wrestlers and guys from other schools to come down...I really think mixing it up like that goes a long way to sharpening everyone's skills. When it's all guys from the same school I think you get a lot of similar tendencies and it can be easy to pick up on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    Is your KF and MMA classes combined, or are they separate? If their separate do you get many of the KF folks showing up for sparring?

It's awesome if your getting wrestlers and guys from other schools to come down...I really think mixing it up like that goes a long way to sharpening everyone's skills. When it's all guys from the same school I think you get a lot of similar tendencies and it can be easy to pick up on.
    The MMA perspective is always combined into our regular curriculum even if the students don't spar, we spar after class several times a month for those who can make it on Saturdays. For every principle taught I show/demonstrate as many possible reactions, what if's, and how would it work against boxing/grappling/mma. Then I also teach how to counter if that same principle move is done to you. I also show them how the same principle can be applied while stand up fighting, from a clinch, and on the ground.

I have been working on building a strong community of local like minded martial artists that get together to cross train in each other's methods. I have also humbled by some of the Masters of other arts taught here that now study under me as well.

Oh, I have been challenged as well and took on the challenges to prove a point.

My main objective to show people that the "flowery stuff" (one of the wrestling coaches once said that to me when I first met him and he changed his mind when we grappled...lol) does work.
    Last edited by pateticorecords; 02-13-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Tom
    Integrated Kung Fu Academy
    Kung Fu - Kickboxing - MMA -Self Defense
    Media, PA -Delaware County

I really like the idea of incorporating the MMA perspective into the traditional classes. To my way of thinking, MMA is just application and it should be taught with the traditional stuff.

Meanwhile, in ROC

Taiwan gets Ruff.
    Taiwan’s Huang set for China mixed martial arts debut
    By James Goyder / Contributing reporter

Taiwanese welterweight Jeff Huang is set to feature in China’s biggest mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion this month. The 34-year-old will be taking on Wang Aning at Ruff 9, which is set to take place at the MGM Grand in Hainan on May 18.

Huang will not have youth on his side when he goes up against the Chinese fighter, but he has just returned from an extensive training camp in Brazil and the US, and believes that experience might just give him the edge in this encounter.

“I have been training with some top-ranking, world-class fighters. Their level is way higher than mine, so I really learned a lot from getting beaten up in sparring with them. It made me mentally tough because I had to force myself to stand in front of them and try to survive,” he said.

Ruff was founded in 2007 and only fighters who are either native to China or who live in the region and possess a valid work permit are allowed to compete. Huang is to debut for Ruff on May 18 and will be fighting for the first time in almost a year.

In the intervening months, he has been training after quitting his job as an investment consultant in Taipei to dedicate himself to pursuing his dream of becoming a professional MMA fighter.

He was training at the American Kickboxing Academy in California at the start of the month, but flew back home to put in some final preparations for Ruff 9. After months of training, this will be a major test for Huang, whose opponent is fighting out of the most successful MMA camp in China, and he admits to feeling some pre-fight nerves.

“I am always nervous, but that’s a positive thing because it makes me cautious, and that makes me think more and train harder. I respect everyone who has the guts to step into the ring or cage, so I will always be nervous and get the best preparation for any fight,” he said.

For more information on Ruff 9, visit www.ruffchina.com.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I really like the idea of incorporating the MMA perspective into the traditional classes. To my way of thinking, MMA is just application and it should be taught with the traditional stuff.
    exactly how we run our class. our flyer states at the top. "Traditional Kung Fu with a modern perspective." We do grappling at least once a week, we do clinch work (plum, knees, throws, sweeps, etc. We spar with equipment on for maximum potential and understanding power striking. We have a wide base of people with differing background from grappling to judo, to wrestling, to kung fu. We keep some of the traditional parts intact and teach varying kung fu techniques. I just like to think we threw out the crap honestly.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.