Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Successful Street Applications

Hybrid View

karate tackle

we need a kung fu tackle...
    Karate teacher nabs suspected serial burglar
    posted by: Dan Boniface written by: Kyle Clark 15 hrs ago

LITTLETON – Martial arts instructor Kevin Kowalczik admits there is no such thing as a "karate tackle," the move he pulled Tuesday night while chasing down a man in the alley behind his studio.

Kowalczik, part-owner of ProRank Karate in the Piece St. Village, chased and tackled a man he says had just burglarized the nearby Front Range Christian Elementary School in Littleton.

Kowalczik held 21-year-old Kyle Torres until police arrived. Torres is being held on suspicion of burglary, assault, criminal mischief, theft and possession of burglary tools. Littleton Police suspect Torres is responsible for at least five burglaries. Deputies searched his home Wednesday afternoon.

Several tenants along the strip plaza tell 9NEWS they have been on alert after a half-dozen burglaries over the last month. Kingdom Kids Academy replaced stolen computers only to have the replacements snatched during a second break-in.

"By the time an alarm goes off and the police can get here, he's gone," said the academy's Penny Gautier. "That's happened six or seven times."

Kowalczik said he was locking up the studio around 11 p.m. Tuesday when he saw someone in the alley behind the school.

The third-degree black belt "armed" himself with a rubber gun he uses for self-defense training and confronted Torres.

"I figured at nighttime maybe it would look real," Kowalczik said.

The karate teacher said Torres initially froze and dropped to his knees as ordered, then noticed the "weapon" was anything but a weapon.

"He noticed the red tip and he got up to run, which was the wrong choice," Kowalczik said.

Crystal Simangan, Kowalczik's fiancée, followed him into the alley, calling 911 on her cell phone, and witnessed the chase that ensued.

"It felt like a scene from an action movie," Simangan said.

"It was kind of like a diving, Superman tackle move," Kowalczik said. "There's not really a karate tackle, but I think there might be now."

As Kowalczik, a third-degree black belt, made his "karate tackle," Simangan stuck to snapping cell phone photos.

"I'm a white belt," she said with a shrug. "I was basically Kevin's wingman."

Police arrived within minutes to make the arrest.

Ty Weaver, a 12-year-old student at the karate studio, said Torres met his match in Kowalczik.

"He didn't stand a chance," Weaver said.

Kowalczik, who has been studying martial arts since childhood, says he has never had to use those skills against someone in real-life before.

"We always talk about it's for self-defense only," Kowalczik said. "We don't go around throwing punches and kicks."

"I'm just really excited that I actually had the opportunity to use it in the real world and it actually works," he said.

Simangan drew a slightly different lesson.

"Don't mess with the ninjas," she said with a smile.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

This one is a marginal inclusion

It came over the newsfeeds and I felt it should be archived here somewhere, but it didn't deserve it's own thread.

7 Article Marketing Lessons I Learned from Being a Martial Arts Champion
    By: Eric Gruber

How does my martial arts training directly relate to my success as an article marketing expert?

When I was seven, I was a scared, scrawny cry baby. Kids in the neighborhood stole my hat and I ran home crying! My younger brother, who was only four at the time, knocked on the bully's' door to get my hat back.

My parents enrolled me into Chirico's School of Karate, where I learned steps that took me from NOTHING to a SELF-ASSURED 4th DEGREE BLACK BELT.

I also learned secrets on how to become a champion in the martial arts. I discovered that these same secrets helped me become a champion in all areas of my life.

So do you want to know what these life-changing, business-evolving secrets are?

7 Black Belt Secrets for Article Marketing Success

Secret #1: Watch who you hang around with

One of our black belts drives all the way from Pennsylvania to New Jersey to practice. That's a 3-hour round trip.

Why?

The furious energy at Chirico's School of Karate is undeniable as soon as you walk in the door. You're surrounded by a true grandmaster with more than 40 years of martial arts training and black belts who are determined to succeed.

Who are YOU hanging around? Where are your articles being associated? Are you just blasting articles out there? Or are you carefully selecting websites and ezines which your targeted audiences and prospects read? Remember, who you associate with will determine the level of success you can reach.

Secret #2: Consistency is the key for long-term success

When I don't train consistently because of traveling or personal issues, I lose karate tournaments. If you want to achieve your business goals online, you have to consistently write and submit articles. You have to be in front of your audience on a regular basis. Otherwise you will lose sales to your competitors.

Secret #3: Ups and downs are part of the process

During my martial arts training, I learned that there is NO possible way that you can win every tournament. Yes, I can't even tell you how many trophies, medals and plaques I have won throughout my more than 20 years of martial arts training. But, I also lost count of how many tournaments I lost in the very first round.

Not every article you write and submit online will be a success. You will have ups and downs with your article marketing efforts, but you have to keep writing consistently. It's the only way you will win in the long term.

Secret #4: Hard work is part of the game

It took me ten years of blood, sweat and tears to get promoted to the rank of black belt. I learned that there are NO obstacles that I couldn't beat if I consistently persevere.

How many of us secretly wish our success would be handed to us on a silver platter? Get real. There is work involved. The solution is to make the hard work FUN by doing what you love to do (sharing your expertise) and delegating what you don't (the mind boggling, manual article submission.)

Secret #5: Model others who are already successful

My instructor is a 10th degree black belt grandmaster. Yet, he doesn't try to reinvent his own martial arts training programs from scratch. He adapts training techniques, forms and strategies that were created from the ancient masters who have proven their immense success.

When writing your articles, model article templates that work for others and then adapt it to your own writing style.

Secret #6: Don't put all your eggs in one basket

When we practice self-defense, we train for a variety of attacks from the front, sides and back. We do grappling and ground techniques. And, we even practice fighting against multiple attackers. So we're ready for all situations.

Just like we want multiple fighting strategies, you want multiple streams of income that will help you fight the recession. You can easily turn your articles into products like special reports and eBooks.

Secret #7: Find a mentor or coach for faster results

I would not have been a state champion for two years in a row, if my instructor didn't walk me through every step of the way. I know many entrepreneurs who have wasted thousands of dollars on marketing programs that got them nowhere. Don't make that mistake. Invest in someone to show you the way - the right way - the first time. (Not sure where to start? Join my Write Your Way to Profits Insiders Circle)

Follow these secrets, and you will reach article marketing success. You will be found online. And, you will get more prospects, publicity and profits

About the Author:

Article Marketing Expert Eric Gruber uses the power of articles to create online opportunities for entrepreneurs who want more publicity, prospects and profits. Now, Eric is sharing the exact roadmap, broken into 5 easy-to-follow steps that thousands have used to launch and build their businesses online with articles. And, he's giving this knowledge for FREE, with his new e-Book at: http://www.BroadcastYourArticles.com/freebook
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ptsd

PTSD is the other shoe dropping from our wars. I've always thought martial arts has tremendous therapeutic effects and am impressed to see a school offering free classes for vets.

Finding peace in ancient art
    Kung fu helps turn around life of violence for struggling Army veteran
    By Dana M. Nichols
    Record Staff Writer
    October 01, 2008 6:00 AM

VALLEY SPRINGS - David Foster got hooked on combat.

"At the time, it is a sense of euphoria," said Foster, who served in the Army during Operation Desert Storm (the 1990-91 Persian Gulf War) as well as in operations against drug dealers and slave traders. "Afterward, you crash."

Civilian life was a big crash for Foster. So he hunted for ways to regain the euphoric clarity of combat. For a long time, he lived in Stockton, picking fights with other rough characters ranging from gang bangers and drug dealers to people beating their dogs. "I probably got in two or three fights a week for 10 years," Foster said.

The Sheng Chi Foundation is offering free martial arts classes for veterans at Sheng Chi Kung Fu, 139 Main St., Valley Springs. Information: (209) 772-1760 or www.shengchifoundation.org.

The Veterans Affairs Department finally caught up to Foster and forced him into a treatment program for post-traumatic stress disorder. That allowed him to kick the fighting habit and resume something closer to a normal life. But it didn't give him the spiritual healing he has found since through another path, an ancient art of which the VA doctors didn't approve: kung fu.

"The VA didn't want me in martial arts, because it is related to violence," said Foster, 38, of Campo Seco in Calaveras County.

Shou Shu kung fu is a very traditional form of the Chinese martial art. Foster began studying it at Sheng Chi Kung Fu in Valley Springs.

Although kung fu trains a person in fighting methods, Foster said he found it an effective and safe way to capture the vivid, in-the-moment consciousness of combat without hurting anyone.

"That is one thing the martial arts will help a military veteran do is revisit the here and now," Foster said.

Now other veterans will have the same opportunity, as the Sheng Chi Foundation affiliated with the Valley Springs martial arts studio began in August to offer free classes to veterans. Sheng Chi co-owner Phil Weaver said he has had a number of students over the years who reported that studying the art helped their recovery from post-traumatic stress disorder.

"You have to concentrate so much on what you are doing in here that you can't have any other thoughts in your head," Weaver said.

Weaver said he and his wife, Liz Weaver, who co-owns the business and also teaches kung fu, wanted to do something to help veterans, including those returning to civilian life from the current wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Experts on post-traumatic stress disorder said studying an art such as kung fu may be helpful to PTSD patients, but they also offered some cautions.

"I think that can be helpful, but you always have to be careful of whether a student is tolerant of an exposure to things that are going to mimic combat," said David Lechuga, a Southern California neuropsychologist who runs his own clinic in Lake Forest and teaches at University of California, Los Angeles, and Pepperdine University.

Lechuga knows the issue well; he is a fifth-degree black belt in Shotokan karate, and his students include veterans who witnessed heavy combat.

"There is an underlying theme of violence in everything we do," Lechuga said. "It is controlled, but it is violence nonetheless."

Phil Weaver said maintaining a safe, trusting environment is key to effective learning, and at times he has paused classes when students with PTSD began suffering a negative reaction.

"It is very emotionally challenging to learn the art. It does push people out of the box," he said.

Scott Jensen, assistant professor of psychology at University of the Pacific in Stockton, said it makes sense that studying a highly disciplined martial art would offer benefits to people with stress disorders but said he is not aware of any particular research indicating martial arts are better or worse than other highly disciplined activities.

Research shows that a method called exposure therapy is an effective way to treat PTSD, Jensen said. Exposure therapy patients are encouraged to re-experience traumatic events, which can be anything from war violence to a car accident to a molestation, in a safe environment, thus gradually reducing the impact of the trauma.

Experts agreed that individuals suffering PTSD should seek treatment first from clinicians skilled in helping people with the disorder. But those interviewed for this story also said martial arts training is a positive opportunity for veterans.

"It sounds like a great program and a great service," Jensen said.

Gary Howells is a professor of psychology at Pacific and a Navy veteran who served two tours in Vietnam.

He said arrangements such as the free kung fu classes offer the hope of communitywide healing as veterans are welcomed back to civilian life.

"If nothing else, it is another means of removing the isolation and saying that we appreciate you. And I think that is an important, positive message," Howells said. "We are doing it better with (the Persian Gulf War and the Iraq war) than we did with Vietnam veterans."

Foster, meanwhile, is still studying kung fu, although he is doing it privately with an instructor who lives in Mokelumne Hill.

He still suffers many of the classic PTSD symptoms, including nightmares and hypertension, and he pretty much avoids crowds by staying at home and gardening. But he says his human relationships have improved.

"Things are better. I fell better about myself."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

don't mess with shuai jiao team managers...

...especially if your 83.
    Woman uses martial art to subdue car burglar
    The Yomiuri Shimbun

KYOTO--An 83-year-old man was arrested Monday on suspicion of attempted theft after he was found ransacking a car in Kita Ward, Kyoto, and caught by a woman who used her Chinese martial art skills to subdue him, police said.

According to the police, Keiko Kurisaki, 45, found the man ransacking a car in a parking lot at about 1:40 p.m. and called the police. As the man tried to flee, Kurisaki apprehended him using a shuai jiao technique in which an opponent's arm is twisted and one of his legs brushed aside to knock him off balance. Kita Police Station officers arrested the man when they arrived at the scene.

According to the police station and others, Kurisaki was the general manager of the Japanese men's team that recently participated in an international competition of Chinese martial arts in Taiwan. The team won first prize in one of the techniques.
    (Oct. 22, 2008)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...especially if your 83.
    LOL, a JAPANESE SJ person to boot !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Karateka takes on three robbers, each less than half his age.

I'm disappointed to see UPI lists this as "odd news". This is excellent news.

Karate senior scares off would-be crooks
    Published: Nov. 12, 2008 at 12:22 PM

NEW YORK, Nov. 12 (UPI) -- A 57-year-old New York man with a history of karate lessons says he used his martial arts skills to scare off three young would-be thieves.

Grandfather-of-six Diogenes Angeles said after being confronted by the three young men on his way to a pharmacy, he punched one of his would-be robbers and all three quickly fled the scene, the New York Daily News said Wednesday.

"They see that I am kind of old and figured they can just come and rob me," the retired sign painter said.

"Once they saw I could defend myself, they ran away," Angeles added. "I hope they learn from this and don't attack other people."

Angeles credited karate lessons he began taking at the age of 14 for thwarting Tuesday's potential robbery.

Police later arrested three suspects in relation to the incident, the Daily News said.

Those men have been identified as Eugene Sanchez, 19, Rakeem Johnson, 23, and Jason Lopez, 25.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Huang View Post
    I had always thought that capoeira was "hiding" reality combat grappling moves in its aerial dance moves, but I'm not a capoerista.

In any case, the bully thing in high school applies just as much to CMA circles as well. Anybody who's perceived as "different" or "uncool" is going to face lots of social opposition from the "in crowd". Bullies don't change their stripes as they get older.

By the way, I'm sure people remember that incident where that guy robbed the US track and field team and then got chased down by Olympic caliber athletes. I remember thinking "Those track athletes were very fortunate that the guy robbing them didn't have a GUN".
    I'm reciting this from memory, so forgive my lack of details. But this was a fairly big local story in 2009.

Last year, there was a series of home invasions in the San Diego area in which a Caucasian man was targeting lone Asian women and raping them. He was probably targeting them as they shopped, and would attack them as they were entering their houses/apartments. Finally, he targeted the wrong woman. As he attacked her in her open garage, she fought him off and he ran. The woman (who was not Asian), a marathon runner, then proceeded to chase him for several blocks. At one point she caught up to him and he turned and punched her in the face, but she got up and continued chasing and yelling. Eventually the man was subdued (by either passers-by or a cop, I don't remember) and arrested. His DNA linked him to the earlier series of rapes. The man (if I remember, 39 years old) was married and the respected owner of a popular coffee shop in San Diego's Little Italy district. While in jail awaiting a court date, he committed suicide by hanging himself in his cell.

I know this wasn't martial arts, but thought it a fitting story. This woman sure has the fighting spirit.

Kung fu cyclist!

The old 'I know kung fu' warning worked!

Kung fu cyclist catches crook in Hatfield
    4:54pm Monday 22nd February 2010

A HATFIELD boy of 14 helped catch a shoplifter yesterday by cycling after him and threatening to use his martial arts skills.

After seeing a security guard chasing two thieves out of Asda in the town centre at 1.50pm, the youngster chased one on his biycle, caught up with him and warned him he practised kung fu.

The 19-year-old crook dropped his loot, but was soon arrested by police arriving at the scene, and accepted an official caution for theft.

Inspector Ian Grout said: "Whilst we would not encourage members of the public to intervene in any situation for their own safety, the actions of this community spirited young man should be highlighted.

“If he had not intervened we may not have arrested this man."

The boy was rewarded with a £10 Asda voucher.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Talking my kinda lady.

now this is newsworthy...

A female Italian karate champion said passersby in Rome just watched as a man grabbed her around the neck and she punched him until he dropped.

It could have been much worse, Lara Liotta, 29, four-time winner of the Italian women's karate championship, told The Daily Telegraph of London. What would have happened if this person, instead of attacking me, a karate champion who knows how to defend herself well, had attacked a young girl?
    http://www.postchronicle.com/news/st...12171453.shtml

Talking

I generally would require a photo first. There is one available at the telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...ts-mugger.html

you don't want a situation in which you have austin power saying "that's a man, baby"
    dazed and confused

thanks for the upgrade.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    **** gypsies
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    **** gypsies
    they are something else... i lived in romania for several months... bistrita, craiova, cluj-napoca, brasov... gypsies everywhere. as long as you respect them, they are no problem.

Shamelessly bumping the racist thread out of first position on the page. This is a successful application of net-fu.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I occasionally get news feed articles about these. I'm going to start collating them here. It's sort of the opposite of the Busted Teachers thread.
    maybe a bit of a local hero but not very smart... shes lucky the guy didnt stop running, turn around and stick a flathead screwdriver thru her little neck... shes lucky, thats all... he was probably just some junkie, but he could have had weapons and/or skills of some sort... lucky for her he either didnt have these skills or simply chose to just go thru the motions rather than tearing her apart...

i have serious issue with martial arts that give people a false sense of security that, more often than not, gets people hurt...

in my youth i fought so many people who had done MA's their whole lives... and, more times than not, their false sense of security was my main advantage... their faith in the moves their teachers told them were so deadly are the same technigues that allowed me to exploit their position and move in for the finish... while they try and engage in some f@agged out game of chess, im moving in with double underhooks and slamming you ass on your head...

its ok to do MA's and focus on the art aspect more than the martial aspect, theres nothing wrong with that at all... i love it... i love classical animal forms and the like... always have, always will... but how many times have we all seen a teacher teach a move and then talk about how great it is rather than being honest and saying the simple truth... on an ametuer level, size and aggression will overcome technique more times than not... you have to put alot of time into these techniques to make them applicable...

we've already talked this to death, but i dont feel that many traditional MA's train in a realistic manner... its not the techniques thats at fault when we are talking fundamentals, its the training methods... i do believe that alot of over complicated forms, created by men who never fought anybody worthy, are garbage... but the fundamentals and the basics are pretty sound, in most MA's...