Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Successful Street Applications

Hybrid View

LOL @ side ROUND kick !!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Occasionally the owner of Red Tiger Martial Arts in New Westminster has his instructors sneak-attack students during classes.
    brilliant.

what a way to find a tumor

timely - we needed to ttt this thread with something fresh
    Martial arts master turns energy to helping others fight cancer
    By KEVIN CALLAHAN • Courier-Post Staff • June 3, 2008

PINE HILL — Master Dominick A. Giacobbe is the holder of an 8th Dan Black belt in the 2,000-year-old art of Tang Soo Do, Korean karate.

So, it is safe to say, not many fights scare him.

Except when his wife, Christina, first came down with cancer more than 30 years ago.

"We were scared, back in '74. In those days, if you had cancer, you died," Giacobbe said last week behind the desk of his karate school office, which is adorned with pictures of Giacobbe with famous people.

Christina is doing fine and Master Giacobbe is still fighting cancer by raising money with an annual karate tournament in Atlantic City.

Like the master martial artist he is, Giacobbe turned the pain, hurt and fear of cancer into a weapon to fight the disease.

When their first child was two weeks late, Christina had a cesarean section. A tumor was found on the pelvic bone. The tumor was malignant.

Giacobbe called the American Cancer Society. It was a life-saving call, not only for Christina but for the many cancer patients Giacobbe has helped over the years with his fundraising tournaments.

"I called the American Cancer Society and they said you can conquer it with your mind, by eating right and exercising," he said. "I said, that is what I teach in my martial arts class."

Giacobbe, 57, teaches three classes a day still at his popular Pine Hill facility. He has taught more than 10,000 students, including many professional athletes.

So, Giacobbe and his wife took the ACS advice and trained and ate well together and they embraced the positive attitude needed to survive.

"We said we would conquer this disease," he said.

When they did, Giacobbe made another call to the ACS. This time, he asked them what he could do to help them. He had felt so fortunate for their help and time, for their care and compassion.

"They never asked me for a penny, they were always so positive, I said I had to give something back," Giacobbe said. "They didn't call for donations, but they called because they were concerned for my wife. That is what inspired me."

Giacobbe, a graduate of Washington Township High School, turned his inspiration into perspiration. He went to work to raise money.

Giacobbe, who lives in Voorhees, first hosted a martial arts show in 1982 at Resorts International in Atlantic City. Then in 1985, he started doing a karate tournament and gave all the proceeds to the ACS.

To date, he has donated $585,000 to the ACS.

Giacobbe's goal is to raise $1 million.

"Some years I gave big chunks and some years small amounts. Maybe this year, I don't know, it might not be a big chunk because of the economy," he said.

Giacobbe, who was named Man of the Year in 2000 by Black Belt magazine, is attacking the goal with the same positive attitude he and his wife attacked cancer. And, Giacobbe is using the same positive attitude toward beating cancer he saw Sugar Ray Leonard use for his epic fight with Marvin Hagler.

"He was so positive," Giacobbe said about Sugar Ray, who asked him to help train him. "The odds were so much against him, but he was so positive that he made it happen."

In addition to Leonard, Giacobbe trained Evander Holyfield and Pernell Whitaker for several of their championship fights. A fighter is a fitting symbol for battling cancer.

Giacobbe, who has appeared on many TV shows, also trained Eagles players, including greats Reggie White and Mike Quick, when Buddy Ryan was the team's head coach.

Giacobbe, who recently returned from teaching karate in Ireland, Wales and Italy, also trains the regular guy. He teaches every class at his academy.

And, he passes onto his students the same message on the karate mat and in the street. He feels attacking cancer with a positive attitude is the way to beat the disease. He and his wife have already proved it works.

"Cancer can be conquered with the mind," he said. "That is better than any medicine you can take."

Giacobbe is passing his positive attitude and passionate fight against cancer onto the general public. He just wrote a book called "The Secrets For a Powerful Life (published by AuthorHouse).

"The book has a lot of philosophy. The greatest part of training for martial arts is all the philosophy," he said. "It is the martial arts philosophy that makes you a better person in life. It is the philosophy you take from martial arts, about the ability to defend yourself."

Giacobbe tells stories in the book to relate to readers.

"I call them secrets because the stories aren't written down," he said. "Masters handed them down to other masters."

Reach Kevin Callahan at (856) 317-7821 or kcallahan@courierpostonline.com.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Dog Fu

How many of you train to defend against non-human opponents?
    Mankato man uses martial arts to rescue woman being attacked by dogs
    By Dan Nienaber and Brian Ojanpa
    Mankato Free Press
    Updated: 08/21/2009 07:28:57 AM CDT

Mankato police continue to investigate a dog-attack incident in which a woman was bitten before the dogs were fended off by a man using martial arts tactics.

Police said the incident happened about 6: 30 a. m. Tuesday in the Lincoln Park neighborhood when a woman outside her home was attacked by two Rotweilers.

Nearby resident Jesse Piotrowski, 28, said he was awakened by cries for help and went outside to see the woman lying on the ground.

He said that after he punched the dogs, one pulled back and the other attacked again.

After getting the woman back into her house, the dogs' owner came upon the scene and quieted them.

Piotrowski received bites on his leg during the fracas.

"The bite was nothing. The worst part was my toes. I basically jumped right out of bed, so the only thing I had on was my shorts."

He said pivoting on his feet martial arts-style while delivering the punches took a toll on his bare feet.

"That hurts worse than the bites. Funny side of the day," he said.

The name of the woman, who also broke her wrist during the incident, was not released, nor was the name of the dogs' owner pending possible criminal charges.

The owner reportedly told police he was putting the dogs in his yard when they got away from him.

Police said the dogs will be kept in isolation 10 days to determine whether they have rabies.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    How many of you train to defend against non-human opponents?
    to be honest... i do - it develops inter-dependently with fighting human(oid) opponents, the only difference is actually training it. years ago i lived in florida and there was a neighborhood stray pitbull, "mocha", i spent alot of time getting it all wound up and then deflecting it's attacks - imagine pushing hands with a dog, much like jou tsung hwa was reknowned for pushing hands with his farm goat... which reminds me how much i miss my goat.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    which reminds me how much i miss my goat.
    and you make fun of WV. lol...comments like this i wonder.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    lol...comments like this i wonder.
    what's to wonder about?? i bought a goat for the family as a christmas present one year, it was a nuetered male(i didn't know this), my girlfriend pointed it out, we returned the goat and she picked out a different one, only this one happened to be unknowingly pregnant - she gave birth to a male a few months later that we named "wang", who lived for about 9 months and got to a weight of about 120... he was dangerous to anyone not paying attention, especially the children... unfortunately he died of some crazy male goat problem where the uretha gets a knot in it or twisted and they cannot urinate, so they slowly poison themselves. i found this out after racing wang to the vet after he got sick... i was balling my eyes out when they said there really isn't anything to do, so they put him to sleep and i brought him home and fed him to the turkey vultures. before he died, we took the mom and shot her and ate her... i butchered her up on a butcher block thrown across the hood of my old '81 jetta.
    Last edited by uki; 02-13-2010 at 05:02 AM.

Successful home invasion defense

"a more gentle part of his fist" indeed. What is up with this guy getting in so many self defense situations?

Student picks wrong home for break-in
    By Lise Fisher
    Staff writer
    Published: Monday, March 15, 2010 at 6:01 a.m.
    Last Modified: Sunday, March 14, 2010 at 11:37 p.m.

A man trying to break into a southwest Gainesville home early Sunday made the mistake of picking the home of a martial arts trainer with a black belt.

When police arrived at 17 S.W. 24th St., they found Christopher Brunson, a 22-year-old University of Florida student in criminology from Gainesville, on the ground with Mark-Jason "M-J" White, 26, standing guard. White, also a UF masters student who has a second-degree black belt and teaches a form of martial arts called Cuong Nhu, caught Brunson entering the downstairs part of the home he shares with his two sisters.

"In essence, he gift wrapped this case for us. He did a great job," Lt. Keith Kameg said about White.

Brunson later told police he had been out drinking, had too much and thought White's residence was his home, which officers reported is located almost four miles away.

White said he heard something in the downstairs part of the home where his sisters live at about 7 a.m. Sunday.

He rushed downstairs, wearing shorts, no shoes or a shirt, and carrying a short stick and a sheathed knife and found a man starting to climb through a broken window.

"I told him to get down," White said. At first the man seemed to be following orders but then, White said, the man started getting up. "I quickly moved behind him and struck (him) once in the middle of the back and he basically flattened out," White said, describing how he used a more gentle part of his fist to hit the man on the back just below his shoulder blades.

"At that point, he was more pliable," and followed commands, White said.

Police reported Brunson, arrested for burglary of an occupied dwelling, had been banging at the front door of the home and then picked up a chair and threw it into a window. Brunson later told police he did remember throwing the chair but nothing else afterward.

Police said there was no indication Brunson had any injuries.

White said his sisters weren't home at the time and they didn't know Brunson.

This isn't the first time White, who has lived in Gainesville since 2002, has had to ward off an intruder or attackers locally.

He surprised a woman who broke into his home when he was living behind Norman Hall. He also twice fended off muggers when he worked as a pizza delivery man.

Currently in a master's program in children's literature, White also runs a dojo on campus and helps out at the Unified Training Center in Gainesville. He's been training in different forms of martial arts, focusing on Cuong Nhu, since 1998.

White said he wasn't sure why Brunson tried to get into the home. "People make mistakes. He was saying some weird stuff about it being cold," he said.

"That's why I didn't go any harder on him. I didn't use a more painful hit. I tell my students all the time, if there is a situation where you have to use self-defense, you have to monitor what you're doing."

Nonetheless, White said he was prepared for a tougher adversary. The knife he had, called a karambit, has a brass knuckle edge on the front and a curved dagger.

The stick is called a tambo and is a basic weapon a martial arts student would start out with, he said. But it only takes one shot with the stick to cause injury.

"It's nothing to joke about," he said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Open up a can of kung fu!

Robber picks wrong victim who opens up can of kung fu

One robber picked the wrong place to hit early Thursday morning. His victim, a self-defense instructor, fought him and forced him to run away.

The victim called Seattle police at 3:32 a.m. to say a suspect walked into his business in the 400 block of Dexter Avenue North and tried to take the cash register.

Our victim/self-defense instructor went all Bruce Lee on him and tried to grab him.

The robber escaped, but dropped the cash register and left behind his cell phone and bicycle. (Well, at least he was an environmentally sound robber.)

A police search with dogs failed to find him. But an officer spotted the robber at Fourth Avenue West and West McGraw Street before 5 a.m. The victim identified the suspect, who is in jail.

Posted by Scott Sunde at March 18, 2010 10:26 a.m.
    went all Bruce Lee on him...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Score one for tai chi!

I had a similar thing happen once in our kung fu class. Some fool tried to grab the tip jar from our neighboring pizzeria. The tip jar was one of those water cooler jugs and it was like a third full, so it weighed a ton. The perp came running down the back alley where we all trained. Of course, we all knew that pizzeria well as we spent many hours after class there, so when the store manager yelled 'stop that guy' we did. As luck would have it, we were working on staff sparring at the time, so there was about a dozen of us with eyebrow height rattan staffs. We were all warmed up and ready to bang. The perp gave up immediately. It makes me chuckle, just thinking back on it...

Tai chi class helps nab kidnap suspect in Asheville
    Montford woman held at knifepoint
    By Clarke Morrison • April 29, 2010

ASHEVILLE — Sharon Fahrer was looking out her kitchen window when the attacker surprised her from behind, put her in a chokehold, held a switchblade to her face and demanded her purse.

He might have made a clean escape, had it not been for the tai chi class practicing in nearby Montford Park.

The attack happened just after Fahrer, 60, and housemate Kaylen Marks had walked into their Montford Avenue home around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday. The suspect barged through the door behind them and demanded her purse, Fahrer said Wednesday.

“I was scared, but I remained calm,” she said.

Fahrer, coordinator of the Montford Music and Arts Festival, said she screamed as the man maneuvered her through the dining room to her purse in the foyer.

He asked her were her car keys where, and she said she didn't know, even though they were hanging around her neck.

That's when he fled out the door with her purse and toward the park, where Trey Crispin was getting ready to start his weekly tai chi class.

He spotted the man running and then heard Marks yell out that a man had stolen Fahrer's purse.

So Crispin and two of his students chased the man, while another student called 911.

The suspect ran behind a house.

“We fanned out,” he said. “Everybody kept their distance. We just kind of held position until he started making another move.”

Meanwhile, a police cruiser siren could be heard approaching the area.

“I said, ‘If you run, I'm going to chase you,'” Crispin said.

Officers soon apprehended the suspect, identified as Jeremy Chad Hall, 34, of Asheville.

Crispin said Fahrer's purse was found stashed behind a garage.

“There wasn't even a question about chasing the man,” he said. “It was nice that we could help out.”

Police charged Hall with first-degree kidnapping, breaking and entering and larceny, misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon and resisting arrest, according to arrest warrants. He was jailed under $50,000 bond.

Hall spent nearly eight years in prison before his release last year, according to N.C. Department of Correction records.

His felony convictions date back to 1993, and include being a habitual felon, breaking and entering and larceny, embezzlement and breaking and entering motor vehicles.

Fahrer called what happened “a tremendous triumph of neighborhood and police cooperation.”

She also said she should have locked her door when she went into the house.

“That's the sort of lesson from this,” she said. “My message to other people is to make sure to lock your door.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Martial arts trumps hammer in fight

SAN DIEGO — A San Diego State University student used his martial arts skills Monday night to disarm and take down a neighbor armed with a hammer, police said Wednesday.

Campus police arrived at Alberts College Apartments on 55th Street, near Canyon Crest Drive, about 10 p.m. and found James Bono Altamirano, 54, disarmed and on the ground, police agency spokesman Josh Mays said. Altamirano suffered minor injuries and was not in need of paramedics.

No one else was injured.

Mays said Altamirano was upset about a parking spot and knocked on his neighbors’ door, threatening them with a hammer. In self-defense, the 23-year-old resident knocked him down and took the man’s hammer.

Altamirano was arrested on suspicion of making threats with a deadly weapon.
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...-hammer-fight/
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

score another for kung fu

Masked robbers chased down the street by Kung Fu shop owner
    BASEBALL-BAT wielding thugs picked the wrong shop to raid when they burst into Darius Adineh's convenience store on Thursday night.
    By Sarah Ann Harris/Published 11th January 2014

BRAVE: Darius Adineh in his convenience store [MEN]

The reckless robbers hadn't bargained on running into the Kung Fu black belt and Special Forces veteran, who was working alone in the shop.

Darius, who has run Premier Convenience Store in Little Hulton, Salford, for the last three years, didn't take kindly to the masked raiders' demands to hand over cash from the till.

He told the yobs: "If you want the money you'll have to come and get it".

He then picked up a piece of wood and chased the thugs out of the shop and along Manchester Road East.

A customer dialled 999 and police raced to the scene but the offenders were able to escape on foot.
    THUGS: The robbers threaten Darius with a baseball bat [MEN]
    , I DON'T THINK SO: Darius tackles one of the thugs [MEN]

“I wasn't going to give up my hard-earned takings to some idiots”
    Darius Adineh

Darius, 44, moved to Britain back in 1994 after serving in the Special Forces of the Iranian Army during the Iran-Iraq war in the 1980s.

During his time in the military he became a black belt in Kung Fu, which he still trains in up to four times a week.

Darius said: "I saw lots of gruesome things during the war.

"I know how to defend myself and it's like second nature. I wasn't scared.

"They weren't expecting someone like me to be there.

"When they saw my reaction they were just shocked."

He added: "Me and my wife work 16 hours a day. I wasn't going to give up my hard-earned takings to some idiots.

"I don't feel brave, I was just protecting what's mine."

ESCAPED: Police are looking for the two yobs [MEN]

Police are investigating the raid at 10:10pm.

The first offender was around 5ft7, slim, and was wearing a light coloured hoody with the hood up.

He was also wearing light coloured tracksuit bottoms and had his face covered, possibly with a scarf. He spoke with a local accent.

The second man was around 6ft, was wearing a red hoody, and also spoke with a local accent.

Anyone who knows who they are, or who has any information, should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
    Not the way to threaten some one with a bat...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I personally advocate environmental fighting when it comes to street mixups.
    Use the wall, use the lamp post, use the fire hydrant, use the concrete. Use obstacles etc.
    FWIW, there is no 100% method of self defense or self protection. All you can do is improve the odds of success by knowing more, being better armed, having protection or, simply not going to places where you know Sh!t goes down.

Make your move then keep moving and know there is a probability you could lose, even if you start it or are the attacker.
    Think ahead, plan ahead. Your home turf should be your advantage at all times.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Score one for all of us

The Taiwanese visitors to Ronda were among hundreds of tourists who flock to see the town's historic architecture. File photo: zoetnet/Flickr
    Martial arts tourists tackle Spanish mugger
    Published: 24 Apr 2014 12:31 GMT+02:00
    Updated: 24 Apr 2014 12:31 GMT+02:00

Two Taiwanese tourists used their martial arts skills this week to take down and detain a mugger who tried to steal a woman's mobile phone in the southern Spanish town of Ronda.

Local newspaper Sur reported that the duo leapt to the aid of a middle-aged woman when a 35-year-old man pushed her in the back and tried to steal her phone.

She had been taking a photograph of the 18th century Puente Nuevo (new bridge), the town's main attraction, and found herself struggling with her assailant.

Her shouts alerted the Taiwanese men, one of whom grabbed the mugger and immediately immobilized him using a martial arts submission hold.

His compatriot helped restrain the would-be thief until the local police arrived a few minutes later.

The mugger, who is reported to be a resident of the picturesque Andalucian town, located in the province of Malaga, was charged with the crime of robbery with violence.

The incident was said to have caused a great deal of commotion in the area which is visited by hundreds of tourists every day.
    Wish they has said what style - Taiwan has all sorts of styles.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

not your typical application...

I imagine a baby dolphin is heavy and slippery, and that Pendred's MMA grappling skills were of great aid to this rescue.
    Cathal Pendred, Mixed Martial Arts Fighter, Saves Baby Dolphin
    Tuesday, 29 Apr 2014 06:50 AM
    By Michael Mullins

Cathal Pendred, an Irish mixed martial arts ultimate fighter, saved a beached baby dolphin Sunday morning while walking along the coastline in County Clare, Ireland.

Pendred was walking with his girlfriend when he came upon a group of people staring into the water as another man had apparently been attempting unsuccessfully to push the baby dolphin past the current and back into the sea.

Pendred walked out to the other man and after failing at his own attempt to push the dolphin back into the ocean, wound up carrying the dolphin past the waves and rocky coastline until it was in deep enough water for it to swim back into the sea.

"I continued trying to push the dolphin out past the waves but he continued to get washed back in," Pendred told Fox Sports. "He was bleeding and had a lot of cuts so I think it was due to these injuries that he wasn't strong enough to swim past the break."

"At one point the current dragged him into a very rocky, shallow area of the beach and the dolphin became stuck. I couldn't push him as his underside was scratching off the rocks and cutting him. So that's when I picked up the dolphin and brought him to a deeper, less rocky area," Pendred continued.

"I stayed around for a while to make sure he wasn't brought back in," Pendred added. "And when I realized he wasn't going to getting washed back, I headed for the hotel because I was wet and freezing."

The 6'2", 170 pound Pendred, who has a fighting record of 13 wins, two losses and one draw, told Fix Sports that he was visiting County Clare's picturesque coastline to attend a wedding.

As tiring as the ordeal was, the Irish fighter said he left the beach feeling great having been able to save the baby dolphin's life.

"It wasn't my typical walk on the beach, but I felt great about it afterwards," Pendred added.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips