Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tea

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Tap View Post
    I'm a big green tea fan...I have to say, my all-time favorite is genmaicha (Japanese green tea with toasted rice and barley), which is especially good after a rough workout. Jasmine green is also very nice, and available practically everywhere. I'm also becoming quite fond of golden monkey (an oolong, I believe) since my brother sent me some looseleaf. Two others I'm just starting to get into are puerh (double-oxidized black tea...rather tanniny, but a very good complex flavor and supposed to be quite good for you) and matcha (Japanese powdered green tea, the same stuff used as the flavoring agent in good green tea ice cream).

Of course, I do not do as the heathens do and adulterate my tea with milk or sugar.
    we make gen mai cha and it usually gets some looks as the graphic bears a swastika.

I like it a lot, on occasion I'll use an organic honey from Jamaica as a sweetener.

check out these sick cups:

http://www.korean-arts.com/tea_ware/..._strainers.htm

I got a couple sets, each for a different tea.

I'm a big green tea fan...I have to say, my all-time favorite is genmaicha (Japanese green tea with toasted rice and barley), which is especially good after a rough workout. Jasmine green is also very nice, and available practically everywhere. I'm also becoming quite fond of golden monkey (an oolong, I believe) since my brother sent me some looseleaf. Two others I'm just starting to get into are puerh (double-oxidized black tea...rather tanniny, but a very good complex flavor and supposed to be quite good for you) and matcha (Japanese powdered green tea, the same stuff used as the flavoring agent in good green tea ice cream).

Of course, I do not do as the heathens do and adulterate my tea with milk or sugar.
    I'll second Matcha. I use to do Bai Hao Yinzhen (silver needle) and Bai Mu Dan but my schdule was getting tight and the prep time for the tea took too long so I switched to Matcha which takes not even half the time plus you get the added benefit of ingesting the whole leaf and not just the water it's steeped in. When I do have time I hit up the cheaper Gong Mei....

In my opinion Ippodo and Hibiki-ahn have the best Matcha

I also take my tea naked sorta speak. I read from Dr Weil that if you add milk or surgar it counteracts the benefits you get from Matcha/ Green/ White tea, something about chemical reactions or something like that.
    Last edited by Ronin22; 01-14-2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: added more

I know very little of varietals and all that, but I *love* trying new types of teas, especially in the winter, and my wife just bought me a new traditional cast-iron set that Ive been using unrelentlessly the last couple weeks.

I keep on hand a bag of loose-leaf Lu Cha Green Tea, a bag of loose leaf Pu Erh, and a bag of Wu Long Cha Oolong tea. I also occasionally enjoy grabbing a few grams of good Bo He (Field Mint) and making some tea with that. Its come quite handy during periods when my wife feels sick and feverish--releases the heat almost instantly...

A friend and student purchased a bag of Green Tea Chai for me while he was in hawaii. While I enjoy the spiciness of Chai, I find it is much more balanced with the addition of milk...

I agree sugar is no good, but I do enjoy some good wildflower honey in certain teas.
    Last edited by PlumDragon; 01-14-2009 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumDragon View Post
    A friend and student purchased a bag of Green Tea Chai for me while he was in hawaii. While I enjoy the spiciness of Chai, I find it is much more balanced with the addition of milk...

I agree sugar is no good, but I do enjoy some good wildflower honey in certain teas.
    Oops, I stand corrected. Yeah, chai does need milk. That's the only one it goes in, though, and actually some house-recipe chais I've had do very well even without it.

Green tea fans would not face the tension of fatness ever....
    So keep loving green tea and stay away from fatness...
    Thanks

not to necro, but since this is the "Tea" thread. Has anyone ever tried this tea?

Mushroom Tea

My latest tea stock

I just got reminded to drink more tea.

I'm now drinking some Golden Monkey Black Tea from Teavana.

Golden Monkey Black Tea
    Price reflects 2oz (25-30 cups)
    $18.50
    Product Rating 4.3 stars (31 Ratings)

Description
    The finest China black from the Fujian province. This smooth tea with complex chocolaty undertones is extremely low in tannins, yet rich in flavor. This tea was chosen by the White House to serve at the State Dinner on January 19, 2011 during a visit by the president of China.
    I don't taste chocolate. It has almost an orange pekoe aroma. It's okay. Honestly, I'm not much of a black tea drinker. And I don't want the tea that the White House serves to the President of China. I want the tea that the President of China serves to the White House.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

New ezine article

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

expensive cup of tea...

7.6 mil yuan = $1,241,771.60 USD

Qing dynasty tea brick sold for 7.6 million yuan

A Qing dynasty tea brick was sold for a record price of 7.6 million yuan at an auction Hubei province.

The auction winner is the owner of a trading company in Shenzhen. He said the tea brick was worth more than he had paid for and estimates it could have gone for at least eight million yuan.

The tea brick was produced during China's last dynastic period, the Qing (1644-1912), at the Hubei Provincial Zhaoliqiao Tea Factory.

A tea brick is composed of whole or finely ground layers of black tea, green tea, or post-fermented tea leaves that are pressed into a rock solid brick and undergo a period of controlled fermentation.

The rising popularity in green fermented tea bricks has changed the quality of the teas sold.

Dong Junpo, general manager at the Zhaoliqiao Tea Factory, states that poor-quality tea bricks are sold for 40 percent less, a move aimed at capturing a bigger market share.

According to the chairman of a tea procurement company, the majority of consumers do not know to distinguish the different grades of tea, making them victims of the new cheap marketing plan.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

just opened

A can of Chin Hsuan Oolong Tea from Ten Ren. Some one gave it to Gigi and she passed it along to me as I'm more the tea drinker in the office here. I'm not big on oolongs but this one is okay. It's perky for the winter.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

just opened

Pu Bao-Chung from Taiwan Choice Best Tea.

A nice hearty green - delicate, aromatic, almost buttery.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A Teahouse in Hangzhou

A photo essay from the NT Times.

Does anyone here drink Wuyi Yan Cha varieties? Like da hong pao etc.....

If you want to try an amazing tea, look for Qi Lan - although I have no idea about the availability of it outside China

www.jingtea.com does some really good teas in the UK

I just ordered the sample collection (4 different kinds) from the Red Blossom Tea Company.

http://www.redblossomtea.com/tea/pu-erh.html