Thread: The Shaolin Monastery: History, Religion, and the Chinese Martial Arts by Meir Shahar

Hybrid View

Hi Richard,

Quote Originally Posted by richard sloan View Post
    But wouldn't you agree, and what I think Shahar was pointing out, was that Shaolin monks came to see the practice of fighting techniques as vehicles for their ch'an practice-
    I don't disagree that Chan and Buddhist nomenclature, and concepts permeated martial art practice at Shaolin, what I do question is the premise that Shaolin martial practice at Shaolin during the Ming and Qing period was created not for fighting, but designed, as Shahar says, for "healing/ therapeutic" and religious self-cultivation.

Today most people don't understand the context of martial arts, in 19th and early 20th century China, and its seriousness. Poverty, uprisings, and remoteness of Henan province made it one of the most dangerous areas in China up to the modern period. Robber bands have a long history in Henan, even in the modern era its been bandit ridden. As an example during the mid 1800's, the Taiping rebels devastated the the government army in Henan and attacked and raided villages and monasteries alike. Basically poverty has plagued the region and it has had continuous heavy fighting from ancient times.

Quote Originally Posted by richard sloan View Post
    I think you also mean to say, health and not 'healing'. I did not get the sense from Shahar's work . . .
    Actually Dr. Shahar uses both words – "healing" as well as "therapeutic" (read as pertaining to the treating or curing of disease; curative) in the conclusion of his book.

cheers,
    r.
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 06-08-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Hmm, what is very interesting about Many of Shaolin's nei gong sets, such as Six Harmony Gong, Chan Yuan Gong, Luohan 13 Gong , Rou Gong, and others is that they can also be used as self defense sets very easily (in fact I spend three days teaching this in a seminar I gave in Spain recently).
    And, not only can you apply these Shaolin nei gong sets as empty hand self defense sets, but you can also do them with a staff (taught that too), and with double swords or double knives (showed how that works too at my seminar).

So, the health and the martial aspects are one in these most important nei gong sets, without these nei gong sets there would not be any Chen TJQ, XY, and Ba Gua today.