Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you sell outdoor classes?

Unhappy How do you sell outdoor classes?

Hi All,
    I teach outside in a wooded area at my mom's house.
    It is a nice training environment, but when I try to tell prospective new students I can't figure out how to make it sound good.

Because people expect your school to be in a strip mall or something like that, so when I tell where it is I have to explain that it is on a small lonely street.

So thismethod is not working well for me.

I was hoping some fast talkers here might have some advice on how to spin the backyard kung fu school.

This is my class ad:

http://www.plumflowermantisboxing.co...the%20tree.htm

Kevin

you train even in the rain and whatnot?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

For $80/month, I would expect a good facility with mats, heavy bags, pads, and gear.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Yeah, $80/month is a bit much without training facilities. Most people aren't going to know Shi Zheng Zhong and praying mantis kungfu from Joe Schmoe's 9th degree fake @ss Karote blackbelt master teaching in the local strip mall. All they're going to know is his place is a lot more professional looking than some guy teaching in the woods Might be hard to pull off other than the occasional nature loving hippy type or someone who knows enough to actually seek you out from the Shi Zheng Zhong connection. I'd say lower your prices.
    Last edited by B-Rad; 12-13-2007 at 12:54 PM.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    they're right, Shibo.

Find a nice gym and work a good deal. I'm in the process of negotiating with a gym now. So far we've agreed on a 70/30 split and are working on class times now. I'll probably be closing down the retail spot and moving by Jan 1.

It's a nice spot, the same gym I was in 6 years ago but under new owners, recentyly remodeled with a 4000 s.f. group training floor.

Plus, he's actually eager to get some sort of fighting program going so I'm going to hopefully broaden the san shou program...and with more money in my pocket, I'll hopefully get up to Coach Ross's the next time.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Your best bet is to go to the local school system and see if you can use one of their gyms. When I was young, we had a good Shorin-Ryu instructor teaching kids and adults after hours in the elementary school gym. He was able to use it for cheap (or free--not sure) anyway, that's how he built up his student base, then he rented his own facility.

IMHO- I don't think a fitness/weightlifting gym will touch you unless you're doing BJJ, Judo, or MMA. San Da has a decent shot 'cuz of the popularity of Thai Boxing- but most weightlifting/contemporary gym facilities don't like traditional styles.

-

It might just be my skewed form of perception, but I think he wants to keep his class outdoors.

Maybe I mis understand. His website says;

"Classes taught the traditional way in front of nature under the trees!"

This may be part of his tradition as passed down from his teacher.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

geeze , i wish i was in your area, outdoor class is perfect for me, did someone say fresh air
    Set your mind.
    Refuse to be weak,
    Refuse to be sick,
    Refuse to die.
    Think that you are strong and you are

What does $80 entail as far as training?

How much time do you train the students? Days a week/hours.

What type of equipment do you employ? Bags/pads/weights/weapons

What happens during the winter months and rainy times?

I personally think you have something to offer people, but are just looking for the right way to market yourself.

Having a website is a great start. Get some cards made up, so when you are out there you have a connection to give people that will lead them to your site.

Videos are great. they let people actually see what they can expect to deal with in training.

Maybe get a small portion of each aspect of your training onto your site via video. Let action do a large portion of the talking for you.

You may need to adjust your tuition, depending. However that is entirely up to you.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

He's in Tampa, I don't think winter training is a problem.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

I used to Charge $4.00 per class for out door lessons.

Now I don't even charge for lessons at all. Too many people have given me too much of the BEST Kung Fu for free, I just don't feel right charging if I don't have a rent to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    He's in Tampa, I don't think winter training is a problem.
    Good point. How about rain?

Well- a good way to attract students is with a live demo. Find a venue- ribbon cutting, festival, mall health fair, doesn't matter- just somewhere where there's a large potential audience, and do a demo. Do the big stuff- the flashy- wow I wish I could do that stuff- keep it short- keep it explosive- make them want more... then pass out flyers on how they can learn.

Also- try to get the local newspaper interested in you. Contact them- let them know your history and get them to do an article on you. It's a great way to get free publicity.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    IMHO- I don't think a fitness/weightlifting gym will touch you unless you're doing BJJ, Judo, or MMA. San Da has a decent shot 'cuz of the popularity of Thai Boxing- but most weightlifting/contemporary gym facilities don't like traditional styles.

-
    i think this is basically correct. when I started talking with the owner where I'm hopefully moving to, he kept saying 'boxing' so I started saying 'chinese kickboxing' and sent him some links and will be dropping a dvd of our fights in cleveland last spring.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"