Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Fight Quest

Quote Originally Posted by 冠木侍 View Post
    I could have sworn that there was supposed to be a CAPOEIRA episode that was slated to air in the near future. Now, there seems to be no sign of it anywhere.

So weary am I that it may not have been there in the first place. Althoug I'm sure I saw it posted.
    Why would they do a Capoeira episode? You don't actually fight.....you just artfully miss. And even the Capoeira lucha things I've seen online are a bit of a joke.

Don't get me wrong. I love capoeira and I've been doing it for something like 1.5 years, but it's not exactly a "martial art". It's a great workout, it works balance, speed, and coordination, but it's not "fighting". It's really kind of like dancing, which is why I'd never study it by itself.

There are a lot of great capoeira cats that have reeeealllly bad ideas about what fighting involves.

Lightbulb The "lost" episode

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    Why would they do a Capoeira episode? You don't actually fight.....you just artfully miss. And even the Capoeira lucha things I've seen online are a bit of a joke.

Don't get me wrong. I love capoeira and I've been doing it for something like 1.5 years, but it's not exactly a "martial art". It's a great workout, it works balance, speed, and coordination, but it's not "fighting". It's really kind of like dancing, which is why I'd never study it by itself.

There are a lot of great capoeira cats that have reeeealllly bad ideas about what fighting involves.
    I appreciate your input. The subject of capoeira's effectiveness is debatable to say the least but that is not my main intention right now. You have experience with this martial art and your opinions about it no doubt stem from your experiences. I've heard people who echo the same sentiments as you. But there are other "capoeiristas" out there who also have a different opinion about that art. I've also been told that those kicks have a mark when they "play" and that it is considered a fighting art. Who's right and who's wrong seems to be a moot point.

Even though I don't have any real experience with it myself, I'd personally like to see it showcased as a martial fan and practicioner. It is described as a dance, martial art, leisure, sport and/or a way of living. It has other aspects that look interesting and would make for good tv.

--As another aside, there are fans of the show who would like to see Doug and Jimmy take on capoeira. Some feel as you do and some feel that five days would not be enough to accurately depict it. Doug and Jimmy would definitely get a good workout.--
    I believe is an interesting thing that people who study the same "martial art" have different perspectives about it.

Now for the crux..

**The REASON I brought it up was because I THOUGHT I had seen it in the line-up in the episode guide. I was sure of it and then it suddenly just disappeared. Maybe it was some kind of illusion on my monitor. Thanks for telling us about some of its aspects though. It is nice to hear from someone who actually practices and I respect that you were trying to describe it from an unbiased POV.**
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Brazil/Brasil

Yeah, I seem to be a week too late.

This episode was one of the ones I was anticipating because as a result of my experience, I can appreciate it. Grappling and submissions...really interesting stuff.

Doug and Jimmy, this week take on the ground fighting art that took the UFC by storm back in the 90's.

Doug got choked a couple of times and it looked as if he was going to die! Of course, the intensity of the training had to be there otherwise the show would be pointless. He couldn't tape cuz his partner had both his hands immobilized. There should have been better supervision throughout.

Both final matches were pretty good. You could tell that they did not want to give Doug or Jimmy any breaks. Great effort by all.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Israel

This episode highlights Krav Maga. From what it looks like, it is mostly a mixed martial art. Nothing really distinctive that differentiates it from other arts. Just borrows a lot of effective techniques.

Doug and Jimmy training in a country where military is the way of life. I'm sure that was freakin' insane. Walking through the streets with full gear and a rifle...crowd control and riot training.

Even the sparring sessions were cool to watch. The experts pulled no punches, and one dude kept kicking Doug in the back of the head while he tried to execute a foot lock. Seems he was falling into his prior training and not opening up to the new fighting style. ALSO, his trainer....that woman was CRAZY.

I can still hear her words echo even a week later...."YOU ARE DEAD DOUG!" I wonder though...I would have really like to see what she was capable of, in terms of combat. She is a no BS soldier. I wouldn't mind getting beaten up by her.

Jimmy is way different from his first impression and his attitude is very much improved since the first show. His trainer was a hulk of dude. Putting him up against the riot crowd and walking through a typical daily scenario in full army gear. Then having to fight. Nice stuff.

Just one person's opinion.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

I just met Doug

He was really easy going - a nice guy, very friendly. Man, what an awesome martial journey he's on. We talked about my master, Shi Decheng, about some of the intense stuff he's experienced and about some of the future projects (they're off to India next month to train in Kalari Payattu)

Best of all, he loves Feiyues.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

This series is actually one I will get on DVD after it is done, I find it far better than the other one.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

DOUG and FEIYUE

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    He was really easy going - a nice guy, very friendly. Man, what an awesome martial journey he's on. We talked about my master, Shi Decheng, about some of the intense stuff he's experienced and about some of the future projects (they're off to India next month to train in Kalari Payattu)

Best of all, he loves Feiyues.
    Yeah, Gene. I remember Doug making a special mention in the China episode. It's cool that he trained with your Master. Unfortunately, a lot of it ended up on the cutting room floor. His first impression was that he was a nice dude (I'm sure I mentioned it in my China post).

Is there any way you can fill in the gaps.

I know that he posts on the Discovery forums (Jimmy seems to be a more frequent poster though).

PS...I like my Feiyues as well. One secret to a long life of shoes...ROTATION ROTATION ROTATION.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Usa

The final episode of the season and what an episode it was!

After going all around the world, they come back home to the states for the homegrown (of course inspired by the martial arts of each respective country) style of KaJuKenBo. Ka(Karate)Ju(Judo/Jujutsu)Ken(Kenpo)Bo(Boxing...Eastern and Western).

Again, I must make mention that Jimmy has definitely improved his attitude and is coming off as a good guy. Doug has always maintained his good nature and open-mindedness since the first episode.

It seems a lot of footage was cut for the episode and all we saw was the rough stuff. Plus, I read (according to those who were part of that episode) that the producers didn't want anything like forms or formal training. They wanted to get right down the the nitty-gritty street applications. Well, it was born in the streets.

A quick history; During the late 1940's early 50's, the Palama settlement in Hawaii was not a safe place to be. A man called Adriano Emperado (now prefixed with Sijo) along with four others ((Peter Young Yil Choo, Frank Ordonez, Joe Holck and Clarence Chang)) formed the Black Belt Society. The idea was to come up with the ideal street defense needed to survive back then.

Back to the show.
    As always, Doug and Jimmy were separated.
    Doug went with Harper while Jimmy trained with GGM Gaylord. Harper looks like a biker dude but he seemed really chill. No doubting his abilities. Gaylord was very friendly and helpful and seemed to be more of the father type figure.

Some cool stuff...the "Fight Club" type situation that Doug participated in was cool.
    I def caught at least a few girls in that circle of people.

It was nice to see the "Bull Ring" being utilized. (From my personal experience, it is fun! A great way to pit yourself against multiple attackers or preparing your mind for a surprise attack.)

Jimmy got some beat downs...first by one of the Bono's when his head hit that pillar and then by a behemoth of a man who sank an elbow near his spine. In the beginning of his training, it was funny to see Jimmy get randomly attacked while Gaylord was showing him basic principles.

Escrima sticks...ouch!!

The end bouts were cool. They didn't show Jimmy's multiple attacker test but the fight at the end was a good match. It was informed to us that he was originally supposed to fight the tall guy (the one who sank his elbow) but that never happened. It would have been a good match up.

Doug's fight was nice. The Bull Ring surrounded him and they just kept coming at him. Of course the fighting looked toned down a bit cuz they could eye gouge or ripe groins. But there was a ball kick that sent him flying.

And then his one-on-one bout...that kick was sweet! His opponent was def a good fighter but didn't have his guard up. Doug saw an opening, let it fly and...instant KO.

It's nice to see that after beating each other up, they still had the respect for each other...which is part of their Ohana culture.

The Krav Maga episode had a bit more intensive training.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Season two

I must have been half unconscious. They are already two episodes into the second season. Did anyone catch either of them by any chance?
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Fight Quest

So I did a forum search and found a "wing chun on fight quest" thread. But that show has so much more than just wing chun.

I just started watching the first season on netflix streaming, and I really dig this show.

No drama, just good old fashion blood, sweat, pain, victory, and defeat.

So far my favorite episodes are the Kyokushin and the Kali. Nice and brutal.

From what ive noticed, they split the guys up between two masters of what ever style they are there to train. Usually, one is traditional, and one is more military and or street oriented forms of training. they always end with what ever sport or test that black belts or senior students of said style usually would deal with.

Ive watched about 8 or so episodes, and so far the guys have nothing but respect for the styles they have trained in. The thing i dig most about the show really is the approach these two guys have in their 'fight quest' honorable and respectful.

the savate episode was hillarious, the outfits they have to wear to fight in are sooo funny...unless your french i guess...

Anyone else watch this show?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

hey thanks for the reference.

SPOILERS:

Last night before heading to bed I watched the Brazil: Jiu Jitsu episode

Those lucky guys got to train at the gracie academy in brazil.

the mma (jimmy) guy was already a purple belt in bjj, so he got thrown into the mix more so than the other guy (doug).

to showcase the technique of jiujitsu they had doug roll with a female champion. she tied him up with ease.

Of course, in Brazil, both guys lost their final fights. Jimmy had a purple belt match, but his right arm was hyperextended pretty bad, because his opponent didnt notice his tap.

Doug did pretty good for having only 5 days of bjj training, going up against a green belt i think.

You could tell how stoked jimmy was, being a bjj purple belt, to be able to not only train at the gracie academy in Brazil, but to also get the good fortune to meet 3 of the gracie family, and to recieve personal pointers from them. I forget what gracies however.

pretty good episode.

so far its been probably my favorite MA tv show. as its not only educational, but its real. they actually fight in what ever format they are training in and try their best to adhere to the rules. some they win some they lose, but its a pretty good, realistic, insight to the mariad martial arts of the world.

i believe its a Discovery Channel show. beats FOX.....lol
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

another reason i am glad i do not have the television hooked up for buffoon shows such as this.

ya i dont have tv but i rent it. i havnt had tv channels in many years. if i did though, id probably like to have the discovery channel. or pbs. i miss pbs....so much educational programming.

i actually had the same outlook on it, until a buddy of mine made me watch an episode. then i realized it was far different from your standard programming. the guys leave their egos at the door, and conduct themselves very respectfully. they go in very open minded and train hard.

but its actually pretty good show. i cant stand the reality tv drama shows, this ones nothing like that.

SPOILER:

Philipines: Kali

the kali episode with the sacraficing of the chicken was awesome. they poured the blood all over doug and had him do the traditional indoctrination to the kali tribe. they told him hes one of very few outsiders ever to recieve the rite.

the kali guys are TRUE warriors. seriously. not ****ting you at all.

They got the sh!t beat out of them in this episode. at the end their final fights were against Philipine Marines. Some hard ass dudes. 3 rounds. 1st round is a knife fight, fiberglass knifes lined in felt and rubbed in red lipstick. 2nd round, stick fight. only a face guard and gloves, fulll contact. 3rd round, empty hand.

doug said the training he recieved reminded him of his military training, except WAY more intense. and its training that the guys he was with, do every day. They actually toned it down for him. LOL

Kali episode is freaking awesome, makes me really want to learn Kali.

--------

its not like some drama induced tv show, its actually an educational show.

anyone truly interested in the cultures that these arts come from can get a nice look inside the culture with the BEST teachers from said styles and regions.

its not a reg tv show. its filmed for DISCOVERY CHANNEL

anywho

-------

SPOILERS

watched the Mexico: Boxing

doug went to 12000 feet to train at an old aztec temple. it looked really really cool. there was one point where the locals were performing some sort of old relgious ceremony, in traditional garb. they had to stop training for a bit to let the people do their thing, as they were doing some training in the same area.

since in the mountains with no modern training aperatus's (sp) they used things like big rocks for weight training and some other good stuff. for a time doug was worried about getting altitude sickness.

there was a point where they were all standing in a circle and the trainer busted out some drink, he said its a drink that was used by the aztecs during their time to help heal you and infuse you with the warrior spirit. he definately got a more old school treatment.

where as jimmy was in Mexico City. he got to live with olympic boxers during his training time, and was able to train with the best boxers mexico city has to offer.

needless to say, both guys got WORKED in training, as they were just so outclassed. but in the end it helped doug alot. as he won his final fight. to the dismay of the mexican spectators, lol. so many boos. pretty funny.

jimmy had a tough time keeping his boxing guard up. as in MMA your guard is lower than the trad boxers guard, his muscle mass was just too much for him to adjust to in such a short amount of time.

they both did well, but doug won mainly because he was able to get a standing 8 with a nice solid upercut.

im actually quite jealous of these guys to be able to travel the world, visit all these countries, and train from the best coaches/teachers at the pinpoint of where the particular arts are trained. they really get to meet some of the greatest teachers and learn from them, in the entire world. that in and of itself is pretty unique.
    Last edited by Lucas; 07-16-2009 at 09:45 AM.

Yeah liked this show and the human weapon. I liked human weapon a bit more, because the guys were more likable and more of a character. Doug is cool, but the other guy kinda got on my nerves. I wonder if they ever plan to do a second season for either show.