Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fight Quest

I did watch the "kung fu" episode, expecting it would be different from HW. Well, it was; the bald guy in FQ is even more obnoxious. It seemed strange to me that he'd admit to getting so mad because his opponent landed a decent kick to his head and some clean punches, he got pi$$ed off and just lost control and rhino-charged him. I thought one of the keys to being a great fighter was not to get P.O.'d during a match. He was also P.O.'d and complaining during most of his training.

True, a lot of the things they had the guys do had nothing to do with Sanda. But it's his job to take on the challenge of doing something different for the show. If all he wants to do is show himself off in his own comfort zone, why does he even do a show about different cultures/martial arts??

I really wanted to like this show, but the bald guy just ruined it for me. I'd rather see a show that focused on the arts themselves, instead of trying to make "reality-TV celebrities" out of two more guys. Nowadays half of the planet is a "celebrity" or reality TV star anyway. Here today, forgotten tomorrow.

China

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I did watch the "kung fu" episode, expecting it would be different from HW. Well, it was; the bald guy in FQ is even more obnoxious. It seemed strange to me that he'd admit to getting so mad because his opponent landed a decent kick to his head and some clean punches, he got pi$$ed off and just lost control and rhino-charged him. I thought one of the keys to being a great fighter was not to get P.O.'d during a match. He was also P.O.'d and complaining during most of his training.

True, a lot of the things they had the guys do had nothing to do with Sanda. But it's his job to take on the challenge of doing something different for the show. If all he wants to do is show himself off in his own comfort zone, why does he even do a show about different cultures/martial arts??

I really wanted to like this show, but the bald guy just ruined it for me. I'd rather see a show that focused on the arts themselves, instead of trying to make "reality-TV celebrities" out of two more guys. Nowadays half of the planet is a "celebrity" or reality TV star anyway. Here today, forgotten tomorrow.
    I understand where you are coming from. Jimmy Smith is shown to be obnoxious, impatient...acting angry and losing his temper (basically everything a martial artist tries not to exhibit).

His training partner, Anderson and even Chambers and Duff from Human Weapon had not exhibited behavior that could be comparable (that being a good thing). They make jokes, get frustrated but THEY always seemed to have a good attitude about what they were learning.

Calling the hosts (competitors) "tv-celebrities" may be a misnomer. I think that they are far from it. This show will make their names known to a wider audience but that will probably be the extent. They already seem to have reputations in their respective styles and I doubt they did this show for their own self-publicity. It just seems that they wanted a challenge and to learn some new things.

Fight Quest seems to go a step beyond Human Weapon in that the training is more intensive. It just lacks the educational portions that I liked about HW. I liked both shows because each brought something to the table and helped me to learn more. Plus, the entertainment value was present in both as well.

**I hope Smith's attitude changes in the later episodes.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

"Jiu mo gwai gwaai faai dei zau" (妖魔鬼怪快哋走) -- The venerable Uncle Chan

"A fool with a sword is more dangerous than any weapon..."

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Japan

This time, Anthony and Smith are trying there hand at Kyokushin. Was anyone able to catch this?

I noticed a change in Smith's attitude. He was more patient and amiable than in the first two episodes. It must have been the style of training...seems he takes to hard styles. Simple punching and kicking is what seems to be his cup of tea. That is my observation based on what I have seen so far.

Nice breaking segments. I was surprised that Smith was able to break that bat. It looked as if was not prepared to do so but he came through.

They seem to be putting Anthony and Smith through the gauntlet. No favoritism or niceties here. The training sessions are very serious. Each Black Belt holds nothing back. That's what I like to see!

The test...what better way to test what you've learned then to go head to head with the top fighters. From a spectator's POV, it didn't look as if the hits were doing much damage. The punches to the chest looked like taps...HOWEVER having experience in MA, we know that was not the case. Save for the rule about not hitting in the head or face, it was almost like an organized street fight. Plus, fighting consecutive opponents with little rest in between is no easy endeavor.

Dangerous kicks...probably just as nasty as Muay Thai kicks. Makes me want to go out and kick the heavy bag for a while.

So then, the format of the show seems to be established at this point. I was hoping for some educational pointers but I don't mind watching these two go through rigorous training. The best take aways I guess is that I might be able to incorporate some of the conditioning from this (and the previous) episode(s) for my own training.

Waking up early and just training for the good part of the day. Well, too many modern conveniences and the fact that we need time for our personal lives would impede such a notion.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

“If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.”--John Quincy Adams

"If you have an unconquerable calmness, you can overcome the enemy without force" -Bushi Matsumura

Kyokushin body shots suck !

They tend to just "arm" the strikes to the body and only occasionally will you see true power.
    I couldn't tell you how many matches I won with my "boxing" body shots...

The shots still hurt, they just dont; do as much damage as they could, but they do set-up the high kicks well, as you can see.

So then, the format of the show seems to be established at this point. I was hoping for some educational pointers but I don't mind watching these two go through rigorous training.
    No offense, but that is the best education of a given MA that there is.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Japan

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Kyokushin body shots suck !

They tend to just "arm" the strikes to the body and only occasionally will you see true power.
    I couldn't tell you how many matches I won with my "boxing" body shots...

The shots still hurt, they just dont; do as much damage as they could, but they do set-up the high kicks well, as you can see.

No offense, but that is the best education of a given MA that there is.
    If there was no offense intended, then there is none taken.

I was used to the format of Human Weapon and was looking for some take-aways that I could implement. I guess if I were there doing the training, that would be considered the best education for Kyokushin. However, from a viewer's POV, it was just rigorous training and then straight up fighting (which is always entertaining).

True, they didn't go for many "power" shots but they sure didn't lack any power in their punches. Boxer shots (as Anthony utilized them) were more effective to get more strikes in. From what I gather, it seems the tendency for this style is to use stiff straight punches and to absorb the attacks. I didn't see the fighters really try to block the body shots.

Yes, I see what you mean about the set-ups for kicks.

It's good that you have experience. You're insights are appreciated.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Quote Originally Posted by 冠木侍 View Post
    If there was no offense intended, then there is none taken.

I was used to the format of Human Weapon and was looking for some take-aways that I could implement. I guess if I were there doing the training, that would be considered the best education for Kyokushin. However, from a viewer's POV, it was just rigorous training and then straight up fighting (which is always entertaining).

True, they didn't go for many "power" shots but they sure didn't lack any power in their punches. Boxer shots (as Anthony utilized them) were more effective to get more strikes in. From what I gather, it seems the tendency for this style is to use stiff straight punches and to absorb the attacks. I didn't see the fighters really try to block the body shots.

Yes, I see what you mean about the set-ups for kicks.

It's good that you have experience. You're insights are appreciated.
    I think the name is quite appropriate, it is a "fight quest", they are simple going around looking to fight and in the end, that is the only true judge of a MA, anythign else is an "add on".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Smile What's in a name...?

I think the name is quite appropriate, it is a "fight quest", they are simple going around looking to fight and in the end, that is the only true judge of a MA, anythign else is an "add on".

Yes, the name does imply something. They are looking to fight. But in order to do that, they need to learn each respective style (in the time alloted to them). So then, their quest is documented for us to see. It is definitely exciting to watch their journey and the impending Fight that closes out each episode .

It was not my intention to judge any of the martial arts displayed in these episodes. That would be another topic. The presentation and format of the show is what I am commenting on. This would apply to the Quest portion in this case.

Being that it airs on the Discovery Channel implies (IMO) that it will contain (at the very least some) educational content. ie: For the styles that I am unfamiliar with, I would appreciate a bit more explanation of some of the techniques. That's all (of course no sarcasm intended).

I definitely understand where you are coming from and still believe it to be a good show. Very combat oriented, fast-paced, in-your-face no-nonsense training. Not a bad way to end the week.

Just a little food for thought.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Smile What's in a name...?

Yes, the name does imply something. They are looking to fight. But in order to do that, they need to learn each respective style (in the time alloted to them). So then, their quest is documented for us to see. It is definitely exciting to watch their journey and the impending Fight that closes out each episode .

It was not my intention to judge any of the martial arts displayed in these episodes. That would be another topic. The presentation and format of the show is what I am commenting on. This would apply to the Quest portion in this case.

Being that it airs on the Discovery Channel implies (IMO) that it will contain (at the very least some) educational content. ie: For the styles that I am unfamiliar with, I would appreciate a bit more explanation of some of the techniques. That's all (of course no sarcasm intended).

I definitely understand where you are coming from and still believe it to be a good show. Very combat oriented, fast-paced, in-your-face no-nonsense training.

In any case, not a bad way to end the week.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Whoops...

I did not realize that I posted the same thing three times. If memory serves me correctly, there was a problem with the web page at that time and my browser was taking a long time to load. Yes, I did hit submit more than once. Next time, I should just be a little more patient.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Mexico

I stayed up late to catch this one (for they do not show any repeats throughout the week).

I've gotten used to the format of the show and Western boxing is relatively well-known. Anderson and Smith got their tails whipped during their training. Those athletes in Mexico were amazing. Simple combinations using Jabs, Crosses and Uppercuts were displayed very well and used very effectively.

The athletes' stances were firm but their movements were fluid and loose....not to mention fast. Gave Anderson and Smith a run for their money in my opinion. These two had experience but still looked choppy in their execution.

The end fight made me raise an eyebrow or two. I'll tell why. During the training, Anderson and Smith faced off against some rough and skillful dudes. They were getting hit from all directions. Their opponents possessed top skills. Now, the fighters that the Mexicans picked to go toe-to-toe with the two hosts didn't seem as driven or full of energy as those who fought with them during the five days of training.

I don't think the Mexicans were holding anything back. The end bouts just seemed a tad bit lackluster....
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

I thought it was cool that Juan Manuel Marquez was mentioned. He was shown early on in the episode without mention, which made me drop my jaw. One of the top ten pound for pound fighters in the world, and no intro? Eventually they did.But man he is an awesome boxer.

Smile Indonesia

This was the previous episode but I didn't get a chance to write about it.

First off, I noticed that Smith's attitude has turned a 180 degree because he seems a bit more patient this time around. He seems to be mellowing out with each new episode. Maybe it is a coincidence but his trainer for this one was one tough lady.

Interesting fighting art. I can see some applications for sparring that could be used in my own training but then again, making it work is another beast.

The knife techniques are are nice. It might be an avenue that I might look into down the line (that is if I continue to study martial arts).

Anderson's foot looked like an inflated balloon. I respect him for still fighting even though he had an injury. He is still as level headed as he was in the beginning...just a dude from Jersey, eh?

The final bouts really don't seem to disappoint (except for the boxing one IMO). Quick moves, damaging kicks and nice take-downs. All in all a good variety of fighting.

So far this show has not wasted my time ( and that is very significant).

Just one person's opinion.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Am I seeing things?

I could have sworn that there was supposed to be a CAPOEIRA episode that was slated to air in the near future. Now, there seems to be no sign of it anywhere.

So weary am I that it may not have been there in the first place. Althoug I'm sure I saw it posted.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Korea

I know I know...this one debuted last week. That fortune telling bit in the beginning was a bit odd. But it was a good gimmick for the viewers...I wonder if he let this affect his mindset...?

A common criticism that I hear about this episode is that some of the moves were exaggerated. I'll go with.

But a lot of the stuff looked good. The kicks were phenomenal...they d**n good kickers...spinning back, double kicks etc. Commentary on the effectiveness would be another topic.

The episode was done very well. I think it was able to show the highlights of Hapkido, given the limited time that was available. The wrist locks, which seem to be a staple of the art, were demonstrated enough times to me cringe a bit.

The live sparring sessions were nice to watch. That pro boxer was freakin' fast. The two masters were again of two different ways of training...sort of like "good cop bad cop." I respect them for allowing the two hosts into their world.

Doug and Jimmy had entered their fights with good mindsets. I applaud them for taking on an art that they were totally not accustomed to. Leaving their comfort zones and branching out can be a positive experience and they have shown us this.

PS...I wish they would have highlighted more scenes of Korea's women. I know, totally off topic. But this is my post.

Just one person's though.
    Cordially yours,
    冠木侍 (KS)

Quote Originally Posted by 冠木侍 View Post

The episode was done very well. I think it was able to show the highlights of Hapkido, given the limited time that was available. The wrist locks, which seem to be a staple of the art, were demonstrated enough times to me cringe a bit.

Back when I was taking TKD, our school also offered Hapkido. I took a few classes. It is very painful.

It was a woman who taught it, and she could probably beat the crap out of most dudes with how fast she is at alot of these submission holds. I was at a Hapkido demo, and one of the guys got his shoulder pulled out of socket and had to go to the hospital. Hapkido is definitely not for everyone.