Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fight Quest

Does Fight Quest deserve it's own thread?

Naaa, let's just tack it on to the Human Weapon thread for now.

Follow the Fight Quest link on http://www.northsouth.tv/
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Naaa, let's just tack it on to the Human Weapon thread for now.

Follow the Fight Quest link on http://www.northsouth.tv/
    Not fair. It should get it's own thread so that is doesn't get swallowed up in the Human Lack of Weapon comments.

Fight Quest

Ok, I guess it does deserve it's own thread. I hear ya, Nebuchadnezzar, this thread is now independent of the Human Weapon thread.

Discovery Channel to Film Martial Arts Program in CV
    By : Robert Souza : 11/27/07

A crew from the Discovery Channel’s new hit show “Fight Quest” will be on location in Castro Valley at the end of the month, filming Professor Greg Harper and Kajukenbo Master, Mark Gerry for an episode focusing on Gerry’s signature style of fighting.

“It’s unbelievable to have them coming here to shoot,” said Gerry, a Castro Valley resident. “This show has been all over world and this is really a dream come true for a martial artist.”

“They contacted my instructor, who referred them to me. This show and the MMA (mixed martial arts) featured in the show are incredibly popular now,” Gerry said.

In Fight Quest, two American martial arts students, Jimmy Smith and Doug Anderson, travel the globe to investigate the many different schools of martial arts, and immerse themselves in the culture and history of each art, and ultimately test their skills and courage against fighters trained in the arts.

“For the Fight Quest to come to Castro Valley after being filmed in 10 countries including China, Japan, Okinawa, and the Philippines is amazing!” Gerry exclaimed.

Every year, Gerry makes a pilgrimage to the Shaolin Temples in China to train and learn. He has been studying, and practicing Kajukenbo for more than 30 years.

For the episode, Gerry will act as a trainer for Smith and Anderson, as they are put to the test to how many principles of Kajukenbo they have learned. “This whole thing has been about six weeks in the making,” added Gerry. “I really can’t tell you how exciting this is!”
    We cross paths with Mark Gerry all the time. His daughter Nicole is a practitioner and teen beauty queen - she's done some modeling for us.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Looks better than the Human weapon thing...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

fight quest

this story sounds exactly like human weapon. human weapon is a joke, they barely cover the arts(understanding that they have limited time). at the end the guy's challenge a local fighter and always get made to look really stupid, especially when the tall bald guy is picked to fight. that karate episode he fought so bad it hurt me to watch.

Talking

It looks a lot better than human weapon. I hope they do a better Kung Fu ep.

the first few seconds of the Fight Quest trailer already look better than the whole of human weapon so far. I'm glad I held off on getting cable (almost did, as soon as I heard about HW) Don't get me wrong, HW is alright for what it is (about two kinda dopey american martial artists learning tiny bits and pieces about fighting arts around the world) but it's not the killer "Hell yeah!" martial arts show we've all been waiting for. Fight Quest looks much closer to that.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Talking Hey Gene

Is this the show that Dr. Craig Reid was talking about in his recent article or is this one an entirely different one? Is he still going to try to get his out there?

This is not Craig's project.

I'm not sure that Craig is pursuing this project anymore. This seems more like fallout from Human Weapon to me.

The Discovery Channel Films Martial Arts Competition in Castro Valley Bar
    By : Robert Souza : 12/4/07

By three in the afternoon on Saturday, there wasn’t much going on outside Spanky’s bar on the sleepy cul-de-sac of Baker Road. But for the handful of martial artists already practicing moves and techniques in the back room, you could sense the excitement.

A TV crew from the Discovery Channel was on its way to Castro Valley to film a martial arts demonstration in the bar.

“A few of my bouncers at the bar train with Mark (Gerry),” said Spanky’s owner, Shane Corcoran. “It’s really incredible to have a major nationwide television crew coming to Castro Valley for this.”

The program being filmed, “Fight Quest” sends two American martial arts students, Jimmy Smith and Doug Anderson, around the globe to explore the divergent schools of martial arts, steep themselves in the history and philosophy behind each, and ultimately test their own skills against fighters fully trained in the arts.

“This whole experience has been incredible,” said Doug Anderson, who practices under the training eyes Castro Valley Kajukenbo Master, Mark Gerry and Master Greg Harper. “It’s like getting brutalized by a worldwide meatgrinder.”

The program, which has already been filmed in 10 countries from the Philippines to China, will now add Castro Valley to its pretigious map.

By 4 p.m. the camera crew arrives, and so do many of the other fighters and trainers who will be participating in the production. They are some of the most intimidating and confident- looking trainers and fighters to set foot on local sidewalks. “This is so exciting and incredible,” says a tired-eyed Mark Gerry, who spent about a week training and filming with the crew. A Kajukenbo Sifu Master, Gerry has been a student the art for more than 30 years.

After the TV crew decides on which angles to shoot, the cameras are set put in place, but the producer decides it would be best for a few people to play pool near the demonstrations between Doug Anderson and the Kajukenbo masters.

“Lets play pool,” Gerry urges me with a grin.

We bash the pool balls around for roughly 30 minutes after I amazingly break open the game, somehow sinking the que ball. Next to us, Doug Anderson is being schooled on how to disarm an attacker with a knife—a lightning fast maneuver that leaves the attacker facing the blade he was wielding just seconds before.

“Kajukenbo is really a bodyguard or bouncer style of martial art,” Anderson tells the camera. “All I can say is you don’t want to fight these guys who use this style, and this is certainly one bar I would not want to start a fight in.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

That;s too bad, I hope that is not the case...

Interesting view on Kajukenbo.

Well i guess this means martial arts is coming back around in the swing of popularity. The Chuck Norris may also doing a show like this
    Don't think about being good in the next year or five years...think about being good in the next 50 years. Learn to love the process of being good, not the anticipation of being good.

12. Hi Gene

I want to thank Tiger Claw for all the gear and suport for the Fight Quest show.

THE KAJUKENBO SHOW WILL AIRE ON FEB 29 2008.

HERE ARE AIR TIMES FOR UPCOMING SHOWS.

Dec 28, 10:00 pm

(60 minutes)

Special Forces Fight Style, Korea
    TV-PG (LV)

Hapkido is Korea's gift to the world of martial arts and in this episode Jimmy and Doug learn the ins and outs of this deadly defensive art.

Dec 29, 2:00 am

(60 minutes)

Special Forces Fight Style, Korea
    TV-PG (LV)

Hapkido is Korea's gift to the world of martial arts and in this episode Jimmy and Doug learn the ins and outs of this deadly defensive art.

Jan 04, 10:00 pm

(60 minutes)

Wushu, China

Our fighters head to China's legendary Songshan mountains to learn the mother of all martial arts: Kung Fu.

Jan 05, 2:00 am

(60 minutes)

Wushu, China

Our fighters head to China's legendary Songshan mountains to learn the mother of all martial arts: Kung Fu.

Jan 11, 10:00 pm

(60 minutes)
    Muy Thai, Thailand

Jimmy and Doug dive into the dangerous world of Muay Thai kickboxing.

Jan 12, 2:00 am

(60 minutes)

Muy Thai, Thailand

Jimmy and Doug dive into the dangerous world of Muay Thai kickboxing.

just hope your kung fu ep and host are better thennhuman weapon. if not get ready for this board to rip it to peices and leave it covered in feces.

14. we only worked on the kajukenbo show and have not seen any of the others.......the guys are great fighters.......we will see ........i know we put a lot of hard work in to the show.......

Quote Originally Posted by SIFU MARK GERRY View Post
    we only worked on the kajukenbo show and have not seen any of the others.......the guys are great fighters.......we will see ........i know we put a lot of hard work in to the show.......
    Did you see any kajukenbo in full contact action?

And will these shows air on what channels ? to Canada perhaps ?