Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: information about jiu wan

information about jiu wan

anybody know anything about jiu wan? his training methods,how good was he?his family and maybe stories and exploits.if anyone can point me in the right direction it will be much appreciated.we know so much about yipman and thanks to people like rene ritchie, we now know about yuen kay san.i'd like to right a nice history on him and his art.
    sincerly, eddie

Quote Originally Posted by reneritchie View Post
    Now 'that's what I call an article'!!!

Jiu Wan and Lee Shing were great friends and the article is an inspiration to anyone in the Wing Chun Family.

Why are there no articles on Lee Shing like this Rene?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

I haven't found one on Lee Shing sifu yet! If you have any, please don't hesitate to send them my way!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Now 'that's what I call an article'!!!

Jiu Wan and Lee Shing were great friends and the article is an inspiration to anyone in the Wing Chun Family.

Why are there no articles on Lee Shing like this Rene?

Hi Spencer

I can recall at least one lengthy, detailed article on Lee Sing from the early 1970's, in Combat magazine, a British publication still flourishing)......it was around the time that I was training with Greco Wong Wai Chung (Moy Yat's first senior disciple) and a couple of other excellent Wing Chun practitioners who had picked up a lot from both Greco and Paul Lam (Leung Sheung's first senior disciple).

I'll have a look for my copy of the magazine, time permitting.

In the interim, why not contact the publisher?

Regards.

Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by reneritchie View Post
    I haven't found one on Lee Shing sifu yet! If you have any, please don't hesitate to send them my way!

Hi Rene

Trust you are well and in good spirits.

I can recall contributing to a thread some years ago either on this forum or another one (maybe yours or the defunct HK Feet Kune Do forum.....no, that's not a misspelling ), where I was suggesting that the contribution of Greco Wong and Paul Lam to introducing WCK to the general public in the United Kingdom in the mid to late '60s was either overlooked or simply not known.

Fwiw, my perception is that Lee Sing sifu was perhaps the first to start teaching, behind closed doors, in his restaurant in London's Soho district, but did not include gweilos originally in his classes (that changed in the '70's).

Greco and Paul, however, banded together and started teaching beginners, irrespective of ethnic origin, in the mid to late '60's, in a hall in Earlham Street, previously used by some well known Karate pioneers, and just a few hundred metres from Lee Sing's restaurant.

Kind regards.

Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by R Clausnitzer View Post

Greco and Paul, however, banded together and started teaching beginners, irrespective of ethnic origin, in the mid to late '60's, in a hall in Earlham Street, previously used by some well known Karate pioneers, and just a few hundred metres from Lee Sing's restaurant.

Kind regards.

Rolf
    The hall was used by Steve Morris

Here are some links that discuss it - plus joseph cheng another pioneer

With not much building work around Reading, I decided to move to London,....... It was around the same time, the summer of 1971, that by chance in Chinatown I ran into Joseph Cheng of Wing Chun fame. Charismatic and with something completely new to show, he set me off on my study of Wing Chun.

..........Out of the blue I had a phone call from an old friend, Bob Ashing. He asked me if I would be interested in being the resident instructor of a karate club in the West End planned by one David DuBow and his wife Erika. 'When do I start?' was my reply.

From Joseph Cheng I'd heard that Paul Lam, another Wing Chun advocate, had recently vacated 9 Earlham Street.

Joseph Cheng, who taught Wing Chun at the club, also helped change my perception of things martial, in that it was by way of Joseph (who was from Fujian) that I first learned about the Yung Chun connection to Wing Chun and realized the possibility of a Yung Chun connection to Goju Ryu and Uechi Ryu—that was in 1971

http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk/07pedigree.htm

another one

I started Wing Chun with Joseph Chang in 1971 and continued working with/adapting it until the late 80's/early 90s. I used it to support the Yung Chun White Crane elements with Goju ryu, which had been pointed out to me by Joseph. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Now Joseph Cheng, you wanted to see him doing a full workout of his Wing Chun stuff on a parking meter. It was absolutely brilliant, the thing would be vibrating, he'd be going through his full repertoire on it. He said every time he passed this parking meter on his way home, he'd train on it.

http://selfprotection.lightbb.com/q-...ring-t4429.htm

and picture

http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk/07gallery.htm
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Forrer View Post
    The hall was used by Steve Morris

Here are some links that discuss it - plus joseph cheng another pioneer

With not much building work around Reading, I decided to move to London,....... It was around the same time, the summer of 1971, that by chance in Chinatown I ran into Joseph Cheng of Wing Chun fame. Charismatic and with something completely new to show, he set me off on my study of Wing Chun.

..........Out of the blue I had a phone call from an old friend, Bob Ashing. He asked me if I would be interested in being the resident instructor of a karate club in the West End planned by one David DuBow and his wife Erika. 'When do I start?' was my reply.

From Joseph Cheng I'd heard that Paul Lam, another Wing Chun advocate, had recently vacated 9 Earlham Street.

Joseph Cheng, who taught Wing Chun at the club, also helped change my perception of things martial, in that it was by way of Joseph (who was from Fujian) that I first learned about the Yung Chun connection to Wing Chun and realized the possibility of a Yung Chun connection to Goju Ryu and Uechi Ryu—that was in 1971

http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk/07pedigree.htm

another one

I started Wing Chun with Joseph Chang in 1971 and continued working with/adapting it until the late 80's/early 90s. I used it to support the Yung Chun White Crane elements with Goju ryu, which had been pointed out to me by Joseph. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Now Joseph Cheng, you wanted to see him doing a full workout of his Wing Chun stuff on a parking meter. It was absolutely brilliant, the thing would be vibrating, he'd be going through his full repertoire on it. He said every time he passed this parking meter on his way home, he'd train on it.

http://selfprotection.lightbb.com/q-...ring-t4429.htm

and picture

http://www.morrisnoholdsbarred.co.uk/07gallery.htm

Thanks, Nick.......great stuff, very helpful in the context of my failing memory

I have been an admirer of Steve Morris for decades......I recall Vijay Paul, one of my teachers, describing Steve's handling of the wooden dummy as quite startlingly powerful and noisy, probably influenced by his Karate background.

Regards.

Rolf

Quote Originally Posted by R Clausnitzer View Post
    Thanks, Nick.......great stuff, very helpful in the context of my failing memory

I have been an admirer of Steve Morris for decades......I recall Vijay Paul, one of my teachers, describing Steve's handling of the wooden dummy as quite startlingly powerful and noisy, probably influenced by his Karate background.

Regards.

Rolf
    Yeah Steves amazing

His wing chun level is very high despite not being a wc practitioner (actually I would guess you would say it is generic southern fist skill - hes also very good at FMA and hand fighting (wrestling)).

He has great root and great issuing power too. Have personally been on the end of his sanchin double punch.

some of his ideas he talks about here

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=n-nUDZQE8IY

'What about the desert?'

- Spartan

Hi Rolf-

Small world. Vijay and I corresponded a bit years ago. He owes me a letter but I dont have his address any more.He had been learning from Paul Lam.
    I gather that Paul Lam and Joseph Cheng were not quite friends.

Paul had hakka in his background.

Alan Lamb knew them all-he learned from the Lee Sing(via Cheng) and the Leung Shun (via Lam) lines.

That was good little pioneering (in English) book that you did with Greco Wong.

joy chaudhuri

bit more about Lee shing and jiu wan in this article

http://www.josephleewingchun.com/LeeShing.jsp

'What about the desert?'

- Spartan

thank you rene, great article. i loved to write a book about jiu wan!man,i got my work cut out for me.
    sincerly, eddie

See, now, to get all corny, this is the kind of thread that makes the internet worthwhile: just a bunch of folks chatting and sharing and benefitting from the experience.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by deejaye72 View Post
    thank you rene, great article. i loved to write a book about jiu wan!man,i got my work cut out for me.

Hi Eddie

Echoing Rene's sentiments, I was wondering if you have already seen the brief entries for Jiu Wan and Sifu Jiu Wan on Wikipedia.......one lineage diagram shows him as one of the direct students, along with Ip Man, under Chan Wah Shun.

Two of America's best known WCK teachers, Jason Lau and Francis Fong, are listed as direct students of Jiu Wan.....have you approached them for info?

Regards.

Rolf

Jason Lau etc

Jason is a tough wing chun person and he has trained some very good wing chun students.
    One of my great pleasures was to see Wong S.L., Tsui Tsong Tin and Jason do their slt on the same stage....to a full house.

joy chaudhuri