Thread: Nia

Hybrid View

cjurakpt Guest
    BTW, in case anyone thinks that Nia is something revolutionary, newsflash, there's this little thing called Feldenkreis Method that has been around for well over 50 years, which is essentially a combination of various movement disciplines (including judo: the founder studied directly with Kano ), and has been utilized extensively by, among others, the PT profession to generally positive effect; the "problem" is that in order to become a certified Feldenkreis Practitioner, one has to undergo 3 to 4 years of very intensive training, and there is a very high level of internal oversight, including membership in a guild that has a very comprehensive set of professional ethics not typically seen outside of state licensed professions; furthermore, the approach is pretty sophisticated from a practitioners perspective, so not just everyone it cut out for it because of this internal rigor, which is why you don't see an over abundance of "Feldies" around: bottom line, the method is well-respected in the field for a very high level of quality control (like Rolfers and Alexander Technique Teachers), and it's a great approach to use with a wide variety of patient populations

They steppin to Tai BO?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

my wife does nia once a week. she seems to like it, but i am not too sure how much matial arts of any sort there is to it, more like yogaerobics, with plenty of music. one of her favorite classes is the annual Moullon Rouge night.

seems great for ladies, or a great way to meet ladies. it is certainly a great exercise class, if a touch over-sold imho...but what practitioner does not oversell their own system?

my first Chen tai chi class was held in the room above the local Nia studio. they used to get mad at us for buddha-stomping....
    Only love can break your heart, but one good hidden fist can cave your chest in.

actually nia is or at least was pretty well known in nyc taught in the equinox health clubs, etc. i am not a fan thats being nice

but alot (actually most people) dont really want any serious martial arts training for any even short period of time, they just want to say they "trained"
    [i]Originally posted by [Censored]

And I would never ever train at any cult school with a "wall of shame".