Thread: Just so we're all on the same page

Just so we're all on the same page

'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

I see what you mean: Guitarrez should definitely be wearing a headguard with all those dangerous punches coming in at all angles near his head, and no way does Nog need one with a face and cauliflower ears like that.

And hah! To think those clowns in the ring think that what they're doing is alive. Don't they know you need to show you're alive with the joy of life with a two metre skip and some demonstrative hand-waving?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

What's your sig from, Nick?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Nick,
    dudes in the ring are just doing counter drills ,,,,,

doesn't everybody work that ?

come to think of it I will be in the ring tonight working mitts and counters with Rob LOL
    Last edited by Ernie; 11-21-2007 at 06:12 PM.
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    What's your sig from, Nick?
    Film called Spartan by David Mamet with Val Kilmer

A very, very good but not well known film

'What about the desert?'

- Spartan

I think that Scott needs to cut his hair, Matt needs to stop beating a dead horse, Victor needs to wake up and smell the river and Silva needs to stop dancing.

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

About Matt Thornton's vid (the first one Nick posted)...

Excellent stuff. But keep in mind that Matt is "selling" his ALIVENESS thing. Really selling it. (Along with his correct analysis of timing and energy). After all, he wants people to come to his seminars, buy his vids, etc.

But like the chess game that he talks about - martial arts requires learning how the pieces move first...this way, that way, etc...similar to the "dead drills" that he talked of with the guy in cross chest side control practicing the various armlocks that could come from there.

But since the problem is that SO MANY martial art schools spend TOO MUCH TIME not only doing the basics but lingering there waaay too long - Matt Thornton's approach is a very good wake up call.

Constant training with aliveness, timing, and energy is the key to making your art functional.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 11-22-2007 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    EDIT.... like the chess game that he talks about - martial arts requires learning how the pieces move first...this way, that way, etc...similar to the "dead drills" that he talked of with the guy in cross chest side control practicing the various armlocks that could come from there.

But since the problem is that SO MANY martial art schools spend TOO MUCH TIME not only doing the basics but lingering there waaay to long - Matt Thornton's approach is a very good wake up call.

Constant training with aliveness, timing, and energy is the key to making your art functional.
    Were on the same page Vic
    Training is the pursuit of perfection - Fighting is settling for results - ME

Thats not VT

"This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to"- TOOL

"I think the discussion is not really developing how I thought it would " - LoneTiger108

Its good to be the King - http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2vqmgJIJM98

MMA is no good for the street?

check this out

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rOQLg7Kc8So

'What about the desert?'

- Spartan

Cool.

Good film Spartan, Val Kilmer back on form with that and kiss kiss bang bang

Al

Steve Morris' youtube vids a WELL WORTH watching. Excellent movement and attitude.

Nick, did I see you in the background of one of Morris' seminar clips? ; )
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wei Wu View Post
    Steve Morris' youtube vids a WELL WORTH watching. Excellent movement and attitude.

Nick, did I see you in the background of one of Morris' seminar clips? ; )
    yep...I try and train with him whenever I get the chance

'What about the desert?'

- Spartan