Anyone ever see The Kung-Fu kids?
Actor Yen Cheng-kuo released on parole after 10 years in jail
2012/03/12 21:37:06

Taipei, March 12 (CNA) Actor Yen Cheng-kuo, who shot to fame for "The Kung-Fu kids" series but was later thrown into jail for kidnapping and extortion, was released on parole Monday after spending more than 10 years in prison.

"I want to see my mother and son most," Yen, now 37, said as he walked out of the Taichung prison in a red shirt, red trousers and white sneakers at around 5 p.m.

He said that after so many years behind bars, his mind was blank but he also felt a sense of joy and happiness.

Yen said that while he was in jail, he worked in a paper bag processing plant and practiced calligraphy during his spare time to help himself stay calm.

Yen, who was met by a friend, bowed deeply to express appreciation to prison officials before leaving.

Prison officials said that due to his interest in calligraphy, Yen won 47 awards in various calligraphy competitions both inside and outside the prison, and he also took part in street dance competitions.

Yen became the only bread winner in his family when both his parents lost their jobs while he was in elementary school.

He later dropped out of junior high school and became addicted to drugs and committed a series of crimes, including burglary, between 1996 and 1998.

In July 2001, he and several others kidnapped a man and asked for a ransom of NT$2 million.

Changhua prosecutors asked for the death sentence for Yen in accordance with the Robbery Punishment Act, but the act was abolished the following year, and Yen eventually was sentenced to 15 years in jail.

He was eligible for parole due to his good behavior in prison.

Chu Yen-ping, director of "The Kung-Fu Kids" series, said he was glad that Yen was a free man.

"He's a good actor. If there's a suitable role, I would like to give him the chance to play it," Chu said.

(By Sabine Cheng, Huang Ching-kung and Lilian Wu)
Enditem/ls