View Poll Results: What kind of fighting do you like to see in Kung Fu movies?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like both TCMA and Peking Opera

3 20.00%
  • I like TCMA

5 33.33%
  • I like Peking Opera

1 6.67%
  • I like Contemporary Wushu

0 0%
  • I like it all

5 33.33%
  • MMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 6.67%

Thread: Who else misses old school Kung Fu action?

Hybrid View

Who else misses old school Kung Fu action?

These days, it seems that everyone goes for Contemporary Wushu and Wire-Fu. Sure, it's eye-candy for the masses but I really miss seeing real stuff in movies. Anyone else with me on this? In my opinion, the Contemporary Wushu choreography just blurs together and when all is said and done, nothing stands out. Whereas when I watch Gordon Liu, I remember the fights. In my opinion, Kung Fu movies are best when they use TCMA or even Peking Opera. I've grown sick of Contemporary Wushu being used.
    Last edited by The Xia; 11-04-2007 at 12:38 AM.

I miss old school kung fu movies because of the way they edited the fights and how many moves they would to in a single take. Its not the same when Tony Jaa does a long take, the moves just don't look as good as the old school movies.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

I also like the longer takes, and also, nowadays, no matter how good a new martial arts film can be, they still lack the sheer variety of performers in the past. You had guys that did all manner of traditional styles, plus as mentioned, the Peking/Beijing Opera-trained performers. Also, a number of non-Chinese stylists, such as from karate and taekwondo, successfully made the transition into KF films. PLUS, you had guys who never had formal m.a. training who nonetheless could look good (Leung Kar-Yan, David Chiang, Lo Lieh, Hui Ying-Hung, etc.). Plus the variety of directors and choreographers compared to today.

Compare that to now. If it's "kung fu" at all, it's contemporary wushu. Final. And wushu all looks the same on screen after awhile, regardless southern, northern, internal/external, etc. And most of the choreographers, even old-school ones, have run out of ideas. Corey Yuen, Yuen Wo-Ping, etc. And now it's all wire-work and CGI. So the physical skill level on most contemporary m.a. films is not as complex. Donnie Yen right now is the best out there, followed by Tony Jaa and crew. But two guys and their crews can only carry the martial arts genre so far.

Also, IMO the period kung fu films hold up far, far better than even really good contemporary action/martial arts films. Watch a modern-day m.a. film from the mid-'70s/mid-'80s today, and lots of things that were supposed to be so cool now seem like dumb antiques, like the "futuristic," computerized lunch wagon in Meals on Wheels. Whereas, Chang Cheh's Shaolin series, for example, taking place in the Ching/Qing Dynasty, still seems relevant. Also, times past/ as in 150-400+ years ago, was more the era when m.a. would fit into such stories and make better sense.

I like the stories and ambience for a lot of old-school stuff, and many of them have genuinely great fight scenes, but I really, really hate the fight scenes where it was all broken down into steps and poses. Strike, Pose, Block, Pose, Block, Pose, strike, pose, block. I don't even know what to call it. You probably know the kinds of fights I'm talking about, but just in case, I'll clarify. They would usually go something like this

A- drops into bow stance and punches
    B- drops into horse stance and blocks
    A- gets up from horse stance, moves forward a bit, drops into bow stance, and strikes with the other arm
    B- moves back, drops into bow stance, blocks, and grabs the arm
    A- comes up again, throws a strike and tries to move forward
    B- traps the other arm, smiles and makes some sort of disparaging comment
    A- enraged, does a low kick that even Shaquille O'Neal would have no trouble spotting, tall as he is
    B- spotting the obvious low kick, raises his foot, enabling A to free his arms
    A- backs off a bit, taking a "defensive" stance.
    They both say "Haawaaaaaa!" and then...
    B- strikes, dropping into horse stance...

And on and on like that. Still worse than that, in some of the scenes they would be looking away from the opponent WHILE FIGHTING. Can't think of any specific examples- will have to go back through my "bargain bin" dvd's again.

For all that though, those fight scenes are better than what most american studios produce. Sure, the scenes are faster, but there are too many camera angle changes, quick cuts, and close ups so bad you can almost hear the action director say "Stuntman!"

I guess it's about the lesser of two evils.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Most of Bolo Yeung's old school fights he wouldn't look at his opponent when fighting. I loved it. He was the king of no look kung fu.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTravesty View Post
    A- drops into bow stance and punches
    B- drops into horse stance and blocks
    A- gets up from horse stance, moves forward a bit, drops into bow stance, and strikes with the other arm
    B- moves back, drops into bow stance, blocks, and grabs the arm
    A- comes up again, throws a strike and tries to move forward
    B- traps the other arm, smiles and makes some sort of disparaging comment
    A- enraged, does a low kick that even Shaquille O'Neal would have no trouble spotting, tall as he is
    B- spotting the obvious low kick, raises his foot, enabling A to free his arms
    A- backs off a bit, taking a "defensive" stance.
    They both say "Haawaaaaaa!" and then...
    B- strikes, dropping into horse stance...
    I actually don't mind those.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I also like the longer takes, and also, nowadays, no matter how good a new martial arts film can be, they still lack the sheer variety of performers in the past. You had guys that did all manner of traditional styles, plus as mentioned, the Peking/Beijing Opera-trained performers. Also, a number of non-Chinese stylists, such as from karate and taekwondo, successfully made the transition into KF films. PLUS, you had guys who never had formal m.a. training who nonetheless could look good (Leung Kar-Yan, David Chiang, Lo Lieh, Hui Ying-Hung, etc.). Plus the variety of directors and choreographers compared to today.

Compare that to now. If it's "kung fu" at all, it's contemporary wushu. Final. And wushu all looks the same on screen after awhile, regardless southern, northern, internal/external, etc. And most of the choreographers, even old-school ones, have run out of ideas. Corey Yuen, Yuen Wo-Ping, etc. And now it's all wire-work and CGI. So the physical skill level on most contemporary m.a. films is not as complex. Donnie Yen right now is the best out there, followed by Tony Jaa and crew. But two guys and their crews can only carry the martial arts genre so far.

Also, IMO the period kung fu films hold up far, far better than even really good contemporary action/martial arts films. Watch a modern-day m.a. film from the mid-'70s/mid-'80s today, and lots of things that were supposed to be so cool now seem like dumb antiques, like the "futuristic," computerized lunch wagon in Meals on Wheels. Whereas, Chang Cheh's Shaolin series, for example, taking place in the Ching/Qing Dynasty, still seems relevant. Also, times past/ as in 150-400+ years ago, was more the era when m.a. would fit into such stories and make better sense.
    I agree with you for the most part on this issue. My main bone of contention would be about Donnie Yen as the current best. To me, the Wushu movie choreography all looks the same (as you stated), regardless of who is doing what at this point. I really can't say he is better then Jet Li or anyone. To me, they both look the same. In recent movies, I liked seeing Hung Kuen in Kung Fu Hustle.

donnie's chorey looks way defferent from jets or anyone else, he has a flavor of his own and style of his own. its refreshing after watching these non-existant martial arts action films. i think donnie is the best out right now and that includes tony jaa.

This is the kind of stuff I really miss- http://youtube.com/watch?v=4e3Tb1nUZL8

Pure hate right there.
    Last edited by jethro; 11-08-2007 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    donnie's chorey looks way defferent from jets or anyone else, he has a flavor of his own and style of his own. its refreshing after watching these non-existant martial arts action films. i think donnie is the best out right now and that includes tony jaa.
    I just don't see it. To be honest, I think that Tony Jaa's stuff stands out more.