Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MMA deaths

Hybrid View

More on Levens

Was anyone following Levens here as a fan? Anyone see any of his fights?
    Thursday, December 18, 2008
    Martial arts fighter was to be in court day he was found dead
    Justin Levens was under suspension from MMA fighting because he had misused powerful painkiller, officials say.
    By VIK JOLLY, ALEJANDRA MOLINA, CHRIS CAESAR, and LOIS EVEZICH
    The Orange County Register

LAGUNA NIGUEL The mixed martial arts fighter and his wife who were found shot to death Wednesday in their Laguna Niguel condo were scheduled to appear earlier that day in court, where they faced charges of aggravated assault, authorities said.

The deaths of Justin Levens, 28, and his wife, Sara McLean-Levens, 25, are being investigated as a possible murder-suicide.

The couple was found in their bedroom with gunshot wounds and authorities found a handgun near Levens, said Jim Amormino, a spokesman for the Orange County Sheriff’s Department. Levens was found with a gunshot wound to his head and his wife, a gunshot wound to her chest.

When discovered by a relative who went to do a welfare check, the couple was believed to have been dead for "a couple of days," he said.

Levens was under suspension from mixed martial arts fighting because it had been determined that he had misused medication, Amormino said.

The couple, who had pleaded not guilty to a misdemeanor aggravated assault charge on Aug. 27, in Orange County Superior Court, were represented by their attorney at the court hearing Wednesday at which a pretrial date was set for Jan. 21, according to the Orange County District Attorney’s Office.

In 2003, he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of corporal injury in a domestic violence case, according to court records.

The misdemeanor charge stems from a Dec. 13, 2007, incident in which the couple is accused of picking up a 27-year-old man identified in a criminal complaint as Matthew David G. from a friend’s house in South Orange County after midnight, said Farrah Emami, a District Attorney spokeswoman.

Sara McLean-Levens asked the man for $200 he owed her and he gave her $80, Emami said. When she asked for the rest of the money, he said he didn’t have it and at that point she pulled over, nodding to her husband, Emami said. Justin Levens then got the victim out of the back seat and throwing him to the ground, punched and kicked him until his wife told him it was enough and the couple drove off, Emami said.

The man was treated for cuts and bruises on his face and later filed a police report, she said.

The couple’s Laguna Hills attorney Gary Pohlson says Justin Levens was not even in town at the time of the alleged incident, the details of which he disputed. Further, he said, that the couple was not worried about the outcome of this case, in which a settlement probably would have been worked out and the couple at worst faced a fine or community service.

The deaths stunned Pohlson.

“I was completely shocked when my partner told me this morning. The one time I saw them they were together and they seemed very happy,” he said.

Pohlson said he met Justin Levens only once but had spoken with Sara McLean-Levens about half a dozen times and did not know the couple very well. He had been retained by McLean-Levens, a bartender, who was referred to him by a friend.

“She seemed like a very nice girl,” he said.

Justin Levens was in Big Bear area training for an upcoming bout at the time of the alleged aggravated assault, Pohlson said. The money in question was stolen, he said, from McLean-Levens and on the night of the incident, she got a telephone call from Matthew David G. saying he was going to pay her back, Pohlson said, adding that the man got beaten later by someone else and tried to pin it on the couple.

“They weren’t particularly distressed about the case,” he said. “The case was never going to be a big deal at all.”

Levens’ suspension from fighting had been the subject of a Mixed Martial Arts online story. According to mmaweekly.com, Levens tested positive for oxymorphone, a painkiller given by injection, when he underwent drug testing for a July 2008 fight that was eventually scrapped.

He was subsequently fined and suspended for six months, which would have run through Jan. 15.

Laguna Niguel resident Kimbo Luzano, a close friend of Levens, said he believed Levens was also going through depression - not being able to fight and having marital and money issues.
    Luzano said that Levens wasn’t the same after MMA fighter Jeremy Williams, a close friend of Levens, died last year of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot on May 5, 2007.

Levens and his wife had only been married a little over a year, Luzano said, adding that Levens did not have any family in Orange County. His parents live in Colorado, he said.

“He was a tough fighter but inside he was lovable,” Luzano said. “He would do anything for his friends...really sincere and genuine sweet guy.”

“I still can’t believe what happened,” Luzano added.

The couple were found dead Wednesday after McLean-Levens' mother called 911 about 2:30 p.m. to report her discovery.

Homicide investigators were at the couple's condo throughout much of Wednesday night, said sheriff's Lt. Val Wilson.

According to a biography written about Levens on his MySpace page, Levens had a tough childhood and was always picked on and had to use his fighting skills to protect himself from other kids.

In the biography, Levens said that even though he turned professional, he was a laid-back guy.

"I've been in one street fight (since turning pro)," he said in the blog posted last October. "It's not me picking on them; I'm a pretty quiet guy when I go out. I don't say much and I really just talk to my friends. I don't why, but people seem to pick on me. I'm pretty quiet, but sometimes it happens. This one guy: I was just standing there and he just threw water on me and pushed me. From there, it just kind of turned into a fight. A fast one, but it was a fight."

Born in Philadelphia, Levens, who was nicknamed “The Executioner,” moved to Newport Beach to pursue a career in fighting. Levens was a black belt trained by Marco Ruas in a style of fighting known as Vale Tudo.

In a biography posted on the Ultimate Fighting Championship Web site, Levens said fighting in the UFC was “a childhood dream come true.”Levens also previously served in the U.S. Navy, according to the UFC Web site.At 5-foot-11 and 205 pounds, Levens had a 9-8 record fighting in various mixed martial arts federations.

Another MMA fighter recently alleged to have beeb using pain killers is James Irvin, a light heavyweight who tested positive for the non-approved analgesic painkillers methadone and oxymorphone, according to sherdog.com, a Web site dedicated to the sport of MMA.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I bought my first TAP OUT shirt today. With three weeks of sprawl training, I think I should be ready for my first cage match.

I LOVE MMA.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 07-25-2009 at 02:21 PM.

more on Hickey

...but not much more. I hope the autopsy is newsworthy or we'll never know for sure.
    Martial arts trainee dies after workout in Sparta
    By Associated Press

3:00 AM CDT, July 27, 2009
    SPARTA, Tenn. (AP) — An autopsy is being performed on a martial arts trainee who died after a workout in Sparta.

Michael Hickey, 38, of Cookeville died after training in Jui-Jitsu at the Sparta YMCA.

Witnesses said Hickey became short of breath, stopped to take a break and quit breathing.

According to the Cookeville Herald-Citizen, he was pronounced dead at White County Community Hospital.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

PRO MMA Death

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?...South_Carolina

Mixed-martial-arts competitor Michael Kirkham died this morning as a result of injuries sustained from a professional mixed-martial-arts bout this past Saturday at the USC Aiken Convocation Center in South Carolina.

WRDW News in Augusta, S.C., first reported the news.

Kirkham, 30, suffered repeated blows to the head during an MMA event dubbed "Confrontation at Convocation Center" and collapsed afterward.

He was taken unconscious to the Aiken Regional Medical Center, where he died from brain hemorrhaging, a representative of the Aiken County Coroner's office today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

An autopsy on the fighter is expected for Tuesday morning, the ACC representative said.

According to an amateur fighter database hosted on mixedmartialarts.com, Kirkham held a 1-3 record with two losses by way of TKO. The June 26 fight marked his pro debut.

A representative for the South Carolina Athletic Commission directed MMAjunkie.com to an officer for the state's Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation, who was unavailable for comment.

Kirkham is the second fighter to die as a result of injuries sustained during a professional MMA bout. Houston-based fighter Sam Vasquez lapsed into a coma and died 42 days after a TKO loss to Vince Libari at a "Renegades Extreme Fighting" event in October 2007.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

oop sorry, I didn't realize we were having a self contained death in mma thread.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Trainer death

Sudden death at 37. Wonder what the autopsy will show...
    August 15, 2011, 2:25 AM ET
    MMA trainer Shawn Tompkins dies
    By Josh Gross

Shawn Tompkins, a mixed martial arts trainer known for guiding the careers of several accomplished fighters, passed away Sunday in Canada. The cause of his death is unknown. Tompkins was 37 years old.

Tompkins is survived by his wife, Emilie, who confirmed her husband's death late Sunday night.

"Unfortunately I'm in Las Vegas and he's in Canada," she said. "I'm hearing through my family and his family that he didn't wake up this morning. They're going to do an autopsy tomorrow, so we don't know any of the actual details. But from what we do know, he passed away in his sleep."

Tompkins was known for molding young fighters like Sam Stout, Mark Hominick and Chris Horodecki into crisp, technical strikers. He started with Stout when the lightweight was just 16. Stout became Tompkins' brother-in-law after the trainer married Emilie. The couple moved to Las Vegas from London, Ontario, Canada, in 2007.

Tompkins' mentor Bas Rutten, a former UFC heavyweight champion, told ESPN.com he spoke to his friend on Saturday evening.

"Shawn is one of my best friends, one of the best if not the best striking coaches on the planet, and I mean this," said Rutten, who made the blond-haired Canadian the head coach of an International Fight League team in 2007. "He always put his students and friends before him, would do anything for them."

"He texted me late last night, telling me he loved me," Rutten said, "so thank God I called him to tell him it was mutual."

Beyond Tompkins' roll as a trainer, he established an almost paternal roll with many of his fighters and was fond of calling them "son." After relocating to Las Vegas, Tompkins settled at Xtreme Couture until he moved on to become head coach at the TapouT Research and Development Training Center in 2009.

Earlier this year, Tompkins ran Hominick's corner during a UFC featherweight championship fight in Toronto. This was the closest Tompkins came to earning his stripes as a UFC championship trainer. Hominick fought valiantly but dropped the fight on points to Jose Aldo.

Tompkins fought before excelling as a trainer, losing each of his four bouts in the Montreal-based promotion UCC.

Tompkins was in Canada to help prepare Horodecki for his next bout on Sept. 10.

The trainer's remains were moved to University Hospital in London, Ontario. No funeral plans have been set, said Emilie Tompkins. She will travel to Canada on Monday.

"Obviously I think he was an amazing man," Emilie said, "and I hope everyone shares their good stories about him."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I find it odd that he texted Bas that night to tell him he loved him. Curious about the autoptsy also.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    yeah a little strange...
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

RIP Victoria Lee

ONE Championship rising star Victoria Lee dead at 18

Nolan King
    January 7, 2023 5:11 pm ET
    Rising mixed martial arts phenom Victoria Lee has died. She was 18.

Lee’s death occurred Dec. 26, according to an Instagram post Saturday by her older sister, ONE Championship atomweight title holder Angela Lee. A cause of death has not been shared.

“She has gone too soon and our family has been completely devastated since then,” Angela Lee wrote. “We miss her. More than anything in this world. Our family will never be the same. Life will never be the same.”

The surname “Lee” bears much weight in the history of ONE. Angela and brother Christian Lee have held titles as two of the promotion’s biggest stars. Victoria was pegged as the next sibling to follow their path.

Scheduled to compete in her fourth MMA bout Jan. 14 at ONE on Prime Video 6, Lee had a 3-0 record in MMA. Lee debuted in February 2021 with a rear-naked choke submission of Sunisa Srisen. After a first-round armbar win over Luping Wang in July 2021, Lee picked up her first TKO against previously undefeated Victoria Souza in September 2021.

Prior to her pro MMA debut, Lee impressed at the junior level across multiple combat sports. She was two-time Hawaiian pankration junior world champion, a Hawaii state wrestling champion, and an IMMAF junior world champion.

According to an obituary posted on Valley of the Temples Memorial Park and Funeral Home (Kanahe, Hawaii), a celebration of life has been scheduled for Jan. 22 before her burial.
    ONE-Championship
    MMA-deaths
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Victoria Lee

Martial Arts / Mixed Martial Arts
    ONE Championship: Angela Lee says ‘stop hiring private investigators, stop the conspiracy theories’ after sister Victoria’s death
    Victoria Lee’s celebration of life in Hawaii switched to closed event by family because of ‘media outbreak’ surrounding 18-year-old’s death
    ‘Stop contacting us,’ ONE’s atomweight MMA champion adds – ‘I ask you respect our wishes to not give any further public statements’

Nicolas Atkin
    Published: 6:23pm, 24 Jan, 2023

ONE Championship’s Angela Lee (right) with her younger sister Victoria Lee at their family’s United MMA gym in Hawaii. Photo: Instagram

Victoria Lee’s celebration of life, which was expected to be held in Hawaii last Sunday, was changed to a closed event for her immediate family only.

Rising MMA atomweight Lee, who went 3-0 during a brief career in ONE Championship where her elder siblings Angela and Christian Lee are both champions, died aged 18 on Boxing Day.

The ceremony was set for the Valley of the Temples Memorial Park and Funeral Homes in Kaneohe, before her burial. The funeral home had publicly announced her death this month, before Lee’s 26-year-old sister confirmed the news.

Angela Lee revealed the celebration of life “unfortunately” had to be closed off from the public, despite an outpouring of support for the family from fans and figures in the MMA community, because of the “media outbreak” after her younger sister’s death.

“We have decided as a family to make Victoria’s celebration of life a closed event, for immediate family only. We greatly appreciate your understanding,” ONE’s atomweight MMA champion wrote in an Instagram post last week.

“To our community and close friends, thank you for your kind words and prayers for our family during this time. This has been, and continues to be, an extremely difficult time for our family.
    “I would also like to address the media and news outlets that have tried to contact myself, my parents and any other members of my family during this time.
    “I ask you respect our wishes to not give any further public statements. Stop contacting us, stop hiring private investigators, stop with the conspiracy theories. Please show some respect and give us our time and space to grieve.”
    Victoria Sun-hei Lee was born on May 17, 2004 in Wahiawa, Hawaii, to Chinese-Singaporean father Ken Lee, who would later become her coach, and South-Korean-born Canadian mother Jewelz Lee.
    She lived with her family in Mililani, Hawaii, including Angela and 24-year-old Christian, and their respective spouses Bruno Pucci and Katie Lee, as well as her younger brother Adrian, 17, who won an amateur MMA title just days before her death.
    The cause of Lee’s death has not been publicly released.

Victoria Lee walks to the ONE Championship Circle for a fight with Victoria Souza. Photo: ONE Championship.

Angela Lee also thanked ONE for their “beautiful” video tribute honouring Victoria, which was played to the crowd at Impact Arena during the ONE Fight Night 6 in Bangkok on January 14.
    “I miss you so much sis,” she wrote.
    “This video is just a short clip of the beautiful, brilliant, kind and hardworking person Victoria was. She was down to earth, with unshakeable determination and a heart of gold.”

Nicolas Atkin

Nico is a production editor on the South China Morning Post’s sport desk, where he covers mixed martial arts (MMA) in Asia, as well as local sport in Hong Kong. He was previously a sports writer and editor for ESPN.
    Sad that outsiders are meddling in the mourning.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

MMA star Shalie Lipp killed in Car crash | CCTV footage of car crash

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Renata Corrêa Baldan

Another car crash victim. So tragic.

CRASH TRAGEDY Cage fighter and martial arts champion, 41, killed in horror crash as her car plunges off a cliff in Brazil
    She was found trapped in the wreckage of her car
    William McGeeAiya Zhussupova
    Published: 10:09 ET, Dec 28 2023Updated: 10:46 ET, Dec 28 2023

A FORMER cage fighter and martial arts champion has died in a horror accident when her car plunged off a cliff.

Renata Corrêa Baldan, 41, was killed in the accident yesterday morning.

Mum-of-four dies aged 41 in a horror car accidentCredit: Jam Press

Baldan was a former MMA, Muay Thai, and Jiu-jitsu fighterCredit: Jam Press
    Officials believe she lost control of her car as she took a curve on the motorway.

The vehicle overturned, hit a tree, and fell down a 33ft drop, according to local media.

The mother-of-four, 41, was alone in the car at the time.

Firemen and paramedics were called to the scene in Ubatuba, Brazil.

They found her trapped in the wreckage of her car, but she didn’t survive her injuries.

Baldan was a former MMA, Muay Thai, and Jiu-jitsu fighter.

She racked up four pro wins in MMA Super Heroes 3, 4, and 8 in 2014.

And she won two championship belts in Muay Thai, according to reports.

In 2015, she had a career change and started working as a personal trainer.

She qualified as a firefighter in July 2022.

And in early 2023, she began working as a beautician and massage therapist.

She ran a clinic in Ubatuba.

Baldan was in a relationship with a businessman.

She leaves behind three sons and a daughter.

One of her boys wrote on social media: “Thank you all for the messages. They’ve been a great help.

“This time is incredibly delicate for me, but I appreciate everyone who’s by my side. I love you, Mum.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RIP Ashley Nichols

Canadian MMA star Ashley Nichols tragically passes away just three weeks before next scheduled fight
    By Ricardo Viagem
    Modified Feb 16, 2024 07:04 GMT

Ashley Nichols, an indigenous Canadian MMA star, has just passed away [Image Courtesy: @InvictaFights via X/Twitter]

Ashley Nichols, a surging mixed martial artist and Muay Thai fighter, has just passed away, leaving the Canadian MMA scene grief-stricken. The Cambridge, Ontario native was scheduled to take part in a March 9 bout at PAWFC, an all-women's MMA promotion. She was 28 years old at the time of her death.

Prior to her passing, she was at the helm of a three-fight win streak. While the cause of her death is yet to be identified on social media, the combat sports achievements that defined her all-around talent are also deserving of attention.

Nichols competed in several notable organizations, like all-women's MMA promotion Invicta FC, which has played host to several legendary names in women's MMA. She also competed in the LFA, where she locked horns with future UFC women's strawweight Jaqueline Amorim.

Furthermore, she held several championship honors, having captured the TKO MMA strawweight title as well as the interim WPMF Featherweight Muay Thai world title. However, Nichols was more than just a fighter; she was also a coach and referee.

As one of the few representatives of indigenous Canadians in combat sports, Nichols was a pioneer for her people and a trailblazer who will hopefully break down doors for more indigenous people to venture into MMA, where they are grossly underrepresented.

Her passing leaves behind a deep hole in the Canadian combat sports world, which is currently mourning the death of one of its brightest stars.

Ashley Nichols was one of the few fighters to become a referee in her prime

Most referees in MMA who were once fighters only become fight officials well past their physical prime when they can no longer compete as fighters. The likes of Herb Dean, Marc Goddard, and Frank Trigg come to mind. Ashley Nichols, however, is distinguished for becoming a referee while still in her physical prime.
    How tragic. Wonder what took her at such a young age...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips