Thread: Shaolin Temple & Buddhism

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Citong Shifu View Post
    Bare with me..
    No thanks, it's a bit chilly in here.

I have heard that these religions were all practiced at the temple at one time, I believe it to be true. Though, I don't think Christianity played so large a part.

Quote Originally Posted by NJM View Post
    No thanks, it's a bit chilly in here.

I have heard that these religions were all practiced at the temple at one time, I believe it to be true. Though, I don't think Christianity played so large a part.
    "I dont think Christianity played so large a part" - This is true. I was pointing out that it did reach ST at one point....

Here soon I'm going to connect kungfu to Shaolin Temple, Shaolin kungfu. I just need more replies to my original post. Some of you may find this trivial or just dont care, but in the end it will make more sense.

"HINT" Since one cannot master or gain high level understanding of Shaolin kungfu unless one is or follows Buddhism......... More on that later...

CS
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!

i really do not understand why u are hiding your *information* and dont just spill it out now.....

Different religions always reach different parts of the world. Its part of the religious philosophy and their goals. I am almost sure there are different religions that reached shaolin at some point. The government in China would only like you to believe that Buddhism is the official religion over there.

i agree, immortal_dragon. thats obvious.

but the point is dude was saying each of those religions had once been the doctrine of shaolin temple.

sure, they may have been introduced there and floated around the area at different times. some may have even taken residence there for some time. but that doesnt change the doctrine of the shaolin temple.

there is a small christian church of some denomination or other that i know of, and on the weekends a tibetan monks sets up an altar there and a group comes to learn, chant, and practice the teachings of the tibetan buddhist monk.

... but the church is still a christian church of whichever denomination it is and has been since its founding. tibetan buddhists using it for some time does not change the doctrine of the church.

Anyone else find this "I'll tell you later!" bull**** annoying?

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    Anyone else find this "I'll tell you later!" bull**** annoying?

If you find this so annoying, please dont reply. This thread was intended for those who want to discuss the different aspects of Shaolin Temple and its history...

Since the Jesuits landed in china in the early 1600's everything out of Shaolin has been tainted with their virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Citong Shifu View Post
    If you find this so annoying, please dont reply. This thread was intended for those who want to discuss the different aspects of Shaolin Temple and its history...
    No, it was intended to be a self-indulgent opportunity for you to try to inflate your sense of self importance.

How do I know? Well, you just think about it for a while and I'll share my special, special answer later.

Shaolin Kungfu

The point I'm making here is that one does not have to be or practice Buddhism to become highly skilled or master Shaolin Kungfu... Shaolin Temple has had a mix of doctorines throughout its history and kungfu development and none of these religions/philosophies made the kungfu of shaolin or monk any better at the martial arts.

Now, especially through Songshan lineage, they completely mislead the world with these types of statements. These attempts to control and monopolize shaolin kungfu, like SS's attempt to patent the "Shaolin" name, allowing wushu players to pose as monks, etc are all degrading to Shaolin as a whole.

Control is the real issue here... I agree that the SS lineage monks are the authority of there Temples kungfu, but not Shaolin as a whole. Take the Quanzhou Shaolin Temple, they're not making such claims as SS. Why not? Because they're not "mainstream"? LOL!

Before this gets into a heated debate, martial arts were brought to Shaolin Temple by many non-Buddhist masters, the best China had to offer. Without these masters efforts and skills, what would Shaolin kungfu be today?

Something to think about...
    Last edited by Citong Shifu; 10-23-2007 at 08:04 AM.