Thread: The Kung Fu Magazine Shaolin Special

Hybrid View

The Kung Fu Magazine Shaolin Special

I start this thread after reading through this months special on Shaolin, and I have to say it was the most interesting read I've had in ages!

I am an avid collector of Martial Arts magazines, including UK publications like Combat & MAI but the trends seem to be focussing more on MMA nowadays, so I tend to look overseas for the latest in Chinese Martial Arts as you are pioneers in this field.

Well done to everyone who worked on this fantastic issue! I found the article on Hai Deng to be enlightening and an enjoyable read. What a legend...

KFM's MMA obsession

Why is it almost every article in the Shaolin issue feels compelled to contrast it's content with MMA?

Fair question, MK

Given the current popularity of MMA, it's difficult to do anything in the martial world without keeping it in context of MMA. I find the contrast of Shaolin is particularly interesting because it has this aura of traditionalism (which is mostly projections based on myth) when in fact, Shaolin must exist in modern society too. So Shaolin grapples (pun intended) with all sorts of crazy modern issues - part and parcel of being a medieval monastery trying to stay relevant today. In America, MMA is the modern context. So in a sense, at least for the context of this issue, Shaolin represents TCMA and that stands in contrast with MMA. Obviously, given the TCMA vs MMA, Shaolin in UFC, etc ad nauseum, threads here, that's a hot topic. You can think of it as a writer's hook - a way to grab the reader's attention quickly. For me personally, it broaches some very important questions.

I've been working on getting some Shaolin monks to address the old Shaolin in UFC question - in fact, I did some preliminary interviews for this Shaolin issue, but it didn't flesh out very well. Still chipping on that.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The real question you should be asking is....when is a monk going to fight MMA?

Funny story about this issue, let me set the scene:

I was warming up before class at the park, my sifu arrived shortly after, and ran down the staircase to the pavilion screaming "I made it in KFM!!" Of course I'm thinking "Woah! This is awesome! My sifu's gonna be famous!" Then sifu pulls out the Shaolin issue, flips to a Taiji Legacy ad and says "Loooook.... right there! Those are my legs! They put Sifu Heintzman's picture over my body, but those are definitely my legs!"

-.-

We had a good 15 minute laugh, thanks again KFM! XD
    Mark

should a shaolin monk enter mma??

well wouldn;t that go against there beliefs? whatever as far as i'm concerned if he really knows tradtional kung fu a monk would be really hindered in a mma fight. because once you put a kung fu guy off his feet his power is gone. that where that ground stuff comes in handy. but who knows the shaolion guy might knock the **** out of his openant when the match starts. like them old tyson fights. never go past the first round.