Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: The Karate Kid

even thou dun like this movie too much.

but there are some good ideas or messages

1. we have to pick a thing to excel in

girl needs to practice to be admitted into academy of music, so no distraction from jaden please.

jaden needs to find something to excel or enjoy, basket ball sucks, ping pong sucks, --- ok like to fight then learn kung fu and fight in a tournemant,

jaden dancing is pretty good.

2. dealing with a bully, stay away and remain cool, report bully incident to the school's superintendent. do not be silent about it from school and mom, do not seek avenge by pouring water from cooling A.C.--

3. reason to fight, defense, good, beat bully up or being a bully yourself, big no no.

4. wu ji bi fan or persue an objective too extremely, it would have a reverse effect.

take a break from wushu practice or violin practice, good

5. making new friends, good. no need to beat your friends up to make friends

6. jaden may teach scooter or razor board to new friends in exchange

---

fighting is a means and not an end.

--

there are many other persuits in life. being a good fighter is good, but it is not all of your life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBJcMzTCN4s

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    1. in real life, bully is every where.

sometimes, you have to avoid them.

splash a bucket of water and then run away?

weak point.

2. knee hurting, continue to fight so as not to fear any more

weak point.

--

many and many weak points

thus disappointed big time.

--

He was chosen--didn't seek enemies

Knee hurting is consistant with the story highlight of the karate understanding--not just attack, not just run, not just defend but knoing/feeling when to do these appropriately and this particulr story feature shows doing them all at once. He ran and didn't beat the boy senseles from the start-ish hence the suffering of the Meek. If you face someone with a bad attitude there is no honor preventing them from violening you all the way up the scale and just attack just gets you vulnerable he doesn't get hit if he doesn't come looking to hurt.

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    1. if it is an accident, there is no one to blame.

marry another and live

instead of living in the nightmare over and over every single day

swallowing the pain and grieves every moment of his life.

no changing facts, lives lost may not be regained--

2.the kid needs to grow up

make friends, learn chinese,

not to make enemies

3. stay away from the girl, problem solved from day one.

not to pick up the violin notes, and just leave.

learn some social skills. know when to advance and when to retreat. zhi jin tui.

no needs to learn kung fu and fight a tournament

---

---
    Marriage is sold as being for life. You can get married again when the other dies (not by spouse~) but if person lived you would still be connected. Death does not sever this connection. But coupled with Sepf pity...some shelter themselves in blame as it is the cloest the person can be to the departed is reliving or not letting go..deliberate holding on it might be called sorrow-Grief.

And if you know how to move on it is learned not merely known so that a person young in this experience does not do the more wisend action might be reasonable.

No_Know

Leave the girl alone. Done. They say leave the place alone go and Done. There is doing without but being ushered out gets to a small place and when ushered out from here you remove the ushers.

That they didn't like him liking her was not he shouldn't like her. Can't please all people in all ways Sometimes it's Right when it's nice for Me (perhaps)

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...oh right, they probably never saw the original.
    Violence not showing real life out come of punching and kicking seems erroneous in that these are young people resiliant and with training soldiers can take more than some non-soldiers.

And violence defense is different from violence initiating attack.

Sheltered people have the strongest voices in stuff they do not have experienced Know. (Per haps)

No_Know

Quote Originally Posted by No_Know View Post
    He was chosen--didn't seek enemies

Knee hurting is consistant with the story highlight of the karate understanding--not just attack, not just run, not just defend but knoing/feeling when to do these appropriately and this particulr story feature shows doing them all at once. He ran and didn't beat the boy senseles from the start-ish hence the suffering of the Meek. If you face someone with a bad attitude there is no honor preventing them from violening you all the way up the scale and just attack just gets you vulnerable he doesn't get hit if he doesn't come looking to hurt.

No_Know
    1. how to defuse a confrontation and how not to provoke one

if you pour water on other, pour some water on yourself, too, and said oops, sorry it was an accident, look at me I am wet, too,

if you run away, that means you admitted that you pour the water on purpose, you feel guilty as charged and run.

walk away and never run away.

like common sense

2. knee hurting still wants to fight

jaden, may say that I like to finish the fight, so that the fight is settled or whatever score is even. not give up something before it is finished

I know I can fight even with one leg

I know I can do it

I know I can win.

self assurance, self confidence, ---

never mention fear, no need to live in fear, fear is a beast, fear feeds on fear

fear may turn into hate or worse--

there will be always some one stronger than us or weaker than us

how to live in harmony with both

if we are stronger, then every one "fears" us. then they are not really friends.

we become the bully. how not to be a bully oneself?

there are ways to live with the strong and to live with the weak

---

there will always be another tournament, another fight

heal your knee first, so that the wound will not be permanent or you become crippled

--

think both pro and con of things

everyone already knew that jaden is good.

no need to continue to fight to prove something that is already proven and known.

a trophy, that is only a token. not worth risking losing a leg or injured more

again

like common sense.

--

beijing is very hot in the summer

water is very scarce

that is why people collectiong water cooled from A.C.

it is fun to have water poured on

sort of cooling one self

you may also use some shade, a fan or eating watermellon

to stay cool

Quote Originally Posted by No_Know View Post
    Marriage is sold as being for life. You can get married again when the other dies (not by spouse~) but if person lived you would still be connected. Death does not sever this connection. But coupled with Sepf pity...some shelter themselves in blame as it is the cloest the person can be to the departed is reliving or not letting go..deliberate holding on it might be called sorrow-Grief.

And if you know how to move on it is learned not merely known so that a person young in this experience does not do the more wisend action might be reasonable.

No_Know

Leave the girl alone. Done. They say leave the place alone go and Done. There is doing without but being ushered out gets to a small place and when ushered out from here you remove the ushers.

That they didn't like him liking her was not he shouldn't like her. Can't please all people in all ways Sometimes it's Right when it's nice for Me (perhaps)

No_Know
    1. lost love ones. they live on in our hearts. they will always have a place in our thoughts. some pictures to remember by. but not a car. it is almost like a tomb or shrine in the living room.

2. both girl and jaden like each other at the first moment, and everyone knew that

like the hair etc but some times keeping a distance, or everyone backs off a bit.

things may be better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0D54-3YFbU

catholic kids having fun in singing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLEKls2E76U

kids can have fun in so many ways besides fighting.

The foreign box

From THR International:
    Sony's "The Karate Kid" opened June 9 on the foreign circuit, and has grossed a total of $52.5 million so far. The update costarring Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith of the 1980's title provided $4.3 million on the weekend from 1,295 screens in 28 markets (including China where the film is being handled by a local distributor).
    It's opening in the U.K. now.
    Karate kid proves to be 'sleeper' US box office hit.
    Jul 23 2010 by Rob Driscoll, Western Mail

His father’s one of the biggest stars in Hollywood, but young Jaden Smith is doing a good job following in dad Will’s footsteps, as Rob Driscoll reveals

IT’S tough being the kid of one of Hollywood’s biggest movie stars. Jaden Smith, 12-year-old son of Will, is looking distinctly unimpressed at the London press conference for The Karate Kid, the blockbuster remake of the ’80s favourite which has proved to be the ‘sleeper’ hit of the summer at the US box office.

After all, this should be Jaden’s shining moment; it’s his first starring role in a major movie, and one where he’s delivered an acclaimed performance opposite no less than the legendary Jackie Chan, who plays the wise and mature kung fu mentor to Smith Jr’s eponymous young hero.

The only thing is, Jaden’s very famous parents (who also produced the movie) have decided to turn up too, which means that Will Smith and his gorgeous wife Jada Pinkett Smith are hogging a lot of the limelight.

But who needs mom and dad around when you’re trying to big up your own product?

All of which might explain Jaden’s stony-faced demeanour – looking straight ahead with no hint of a smile – while his clearly-proud father teases him about the astounding success of the movie in cinemas back home.

“If one more person calls me the Karate Kid’s Dad...” laughs 42-year-old Smith, putting on a tone of mock annoyance. “People have started calling me that, and I say, ‘Alright – Men in Black 3 is coming out immediately’.”

When the fooling stops, however, it’s clear that Smith is very excited about his son’s potential for being a big movie star in his own right.

“As far as how big he’s become, The Karate Kid opened and the three-day box office was $56m in the United States, which was bigger than any of my movies, other than Han**** and I Am Legend.

“So I’m wondering if he still needs to even live at our house,” says the proud dad.

“Very seriously, he’s such a fantastic, disciplined young man and if there’s one thing that stands out from him and other children I’ve worked with and tried to assist with this journey, it’s that he has the combination – he’s really sensitive, so he can capture emotion, but he’s always ready for another take.

“He has the mentality it takes to bear the weight of what this type of success this film has had is going to bring in his life.”

Jaden has previously been seen starring alongside his father in The Pursuit of Happyness and sci-fi remake The Day the Earth Stood Still.

This new version of The Karate Kid has struck a significant chord with Stateside family audiences, who have connected with its old-fashioned tale of courage, conviction and self-worth, and looks set to repeat that success on this side of the Atlantic.

In the title role (famously played a quarter of a century ago by Ralph Maccio), Jaden stars as all-American schoolboy Dre Parker, who could have been the most popular kid in Detroit until his widowed mother’s career takes them both to China.

Dre has a tough time making friends at first, but does make a connection with his pretty classmate Mei Ying, until cultural differences make such a friendship impossible.

Even worse, Dre makes an enemy of the class bully, Cheng. Dre knows only a little karate, and in the land of kung fu, Cheng puts “the karate kid” on the floor with ease. Dre has no friends to turn to except the lonely and sullen janitor of his apartment building, Mr Han (Jackie Chan).

Secretly a master of kung fu, Mr Han begins to train with Dre, building a unique friendship and moving towards a final showdown with Cheng at a kung fu tournament.

As Han teaches Dre that kung fu is not about punching and parries, but maturity, patience and calm, Dre learns that facing down the bullies will be the biggest fight of his life.

The decision to film The Karate Kid in China was not taken lightly by the production team – but proved an extraordinary homecoming and a dream-come-true for Hong Kong-born Jackie Chan.

“I am so proud, and thankful to the production company, and to Will Smith and his family, for choosing to make this movie in China,” says the 56-year-old Chan, who boasts a staggering 100-plus movies.

“It means I have been able to introduce my culture, and locations from the Forbidden City and the Great Wall, and especially my beloved martial arts to so many people.

“I remember a long time ago, with the first Karate Kid, when so many people wanted to learn martial arts, and right now it’s all happening again, thanks to this movie.”

What about Jaden’s time in China – did he like the food?

“I had hamburgers the whole time,” he replies. “I think it was fun but nobody spoke English, so it was a little bit weird with that.”

Father Will rolls his eyes in despair.

“You filmed on the Great Wall of China, that had to be cool,” he offers. “I didn’t get to go up it.”

Jaden adds: “You made me run on the Great Wall.”

For the record, Jaden put his body and soul into learning to fight in the movie, by learning wushu kung fu, a physically demanding, active kung fu sport taught and practiced in China.

He was trained by Wu Gang, the stunt co-ordinator for the Jackie Chan stunt team, which is responsible for all the stunts in the films that Chan directs.

The Karate Kid may well introduce a new young Hollywood star to the world, but in many other respects, it shines a whole new light on his older co-star Jackie Chan, perhaps receiving the greatest reviews of all for his powerful portrayal of a man haunted by tragedy – a mature performance full of unforced emotion, with no sign of his trademark mugging and martial arts pratfalls.

Might this, I ask Chan, herald the beginning of a whole new film career, where it’s all about the acting, and less about the action? “Yes!” is his overwhelmingly enthusiastic reply.

“Back in Asia I can do whatever I want, as I’m the producer and director.

“But in Hollywood, whenever I present a script, they say, ‘No, no, we want Rush Hour 3, Rush Hour 4’, and I say, ‘I’m not young any more, I want to do some serious thing’.”

Chan recalls how he met Will Smith a few years ago in Japan, and before they parted, Smith suggested they do a movie together.

“I said, ‘Yeah, yeah, yeah’ because in Hollywood, everybody does that,” quips Chan, throwing Smith a cheeky smile.

“Then finally Will called me and said, ‘Let’s do The Karate Kid’. I thought I was going to be the kid, and I asked who the master was – and they said I was. I sometimes forget how old I am.

“So I looked at the script, and saw that it would be in China, and that it’s not karate, it’s martial arts and I said, ‘Yes, as long as you can trust me without action, only acting’, and they said they trusted me.

“I really appreciated that. Now I have proved I can act.

“I want to be the Asian Robert De Niro.”

The Karate Kid opens on Wednesday
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs up

I loved it. I went in with prejudice against it. I couldn't believe they would do something like this but it turned out fantastic.

Opens tomorrow in the UK

27 July 2010 Last updated at 04:57 ET
    Jackie Chan talks kung fu fighting
    By Tim Masters Entertainment correspondent, BBC News

Jackie Chan in The Karate Kid Jackie Chan has been acting since the 1970s and has appeared in over 100 films

For someone who has made a living out of acrobatic combat, Jackie Chan comes across in person as a man with a warm handshake and his feet firmly on the ground.

And he is always smiling.

The star of more than 100 action films since the 1970s, Chan appears in UK cinemas this week as a secret kung fu master in The Karate Kid.

A remake of the 1984 original, The Karate Kid was released in the US alongside another slice of 80s nostalgia, The A Team.

The Karate Kid stars Jaden Smith as a 12-year-old American boy Dre who moves to Beijing with his mother. (Jaden's real-life parents Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith were producers on the film.)

Unable to speak the language, and with few friends, Dre soon becomes the target of bullies. But things start to change when he learns kung fu - not karate - from a lonely maintenance man (Chan).

Chan admits that he has an affinity with the fish-out-of-water storyline, having moved from Hong Kong 30 years ago to make it big in Hollywood.

"It's exactly like me!" he says. "Except nobody bullied me. I went by myself to Hollywood, I spoke no English, every day I had to go to school."

And he says he got the same questions over and over: "Where are you from? Hong Kong. What's your name? Jackie Chan. Why do you come to Hollywood? I want to make kung fu movies. Every day! Ah... just very very tough for me."

'Tiger-style hop'

Prior to his move to Hollywood, Chan had worked as an acrobat and stunt man, notably in the Bruce Lee movie Fist of Fury (1972).
    Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith in The Karate Kid The Karate Kid was shot in China, at locations including The Great Wall

Chan's stunt work established the comedic kung fu genre in the 1978 film Snake in the Eagle's Shadow. He found mainstream success shortly afterwards in Drunken Master.

The 56-year-old actor admits that in his younger days he had different priorities.

"When I was young I didn't care about education, just money and box office. People just copied all the bad things I was doing in movies."

Chan says that he tried to correct the image he gave out in 1978's Drunken Master ("I taught people how to drink and how to fight.") by making 1994's Drunken Master 2 ("Don't drink, don't fight.")

He adds: "I'm not a god - I do bad things. All those years I was learning.

"Right now the box office is not important - I want to do something meaningful - like The Karate Kid."

The Karate Kid, however, does not skimp on the violence. Kids kick each other senseless and young characters get bashed about by adults.

So what is the overall message of the movie for its young target audience?
    Advertisement

Jackie Chan gives some martial arts tips

"When you are learning about a martial art, it is about respect," says Chan. "You have to find a good teacher. If you knock somebody down - stop. Bring them up."

One of Chan's stunt team taught Jaden Smith for three months before filming began in China last year. "He learnt jumping, tiger-style hop, the mantis. Jaden is really talented," says Chan.

"After the movie I told Will Smith: 'Don't waste your son's talent - continue training.'"

At the end of the interview, Chan turns to his young co-star and says: "Don't you forget me when you get famous."

With a talk of a sequel already in the air, Chan may well have found a young disciple to whom he can pass on the martial arts baton.

The Karate Kid is released in the UK on 28 July.
    Looks like BBC got the same pic we did.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

facebook

the smiths must have put jackie up on facebook and twitter, because he has been facebooking like crazy, pics and everything..and you can tell by the writing style its actually jackie...not to mention his seven disciples are all friends to the page. its not a fan page thou so im pretty sure its gonna reach its 5k limit soon. he has jaden smith listed as one of his children, so the two must have really bonded. this is the second american jackie chan film that he didnt bad mouth, like he does all the rush hour films.

Jackie & Jaden beat Rampage again across the pond...

...but they both lost to Barbie and Mr. Potato Head.
    Toy Story 3 Breaking Box Office Records
    Buzz and co light years ahead of both Karate Kid and A-Team on UK charts.

UK, August 3, 2010
    by Tom Butler
    IGN UK

Toy Story 3 is still sitting pretty at the top of the UK charts after another big weekend, holding off newcomers The Karate Kid and The A-Team .

With its total UK box office now standing at just under £40m, Toy Story 3 has become the UK's third biggest animated film ever.

With summer holidays in full swing, Toy Story 3 should overtake Shrek 2 (£48.2m) and Toy Story 2 (£44.3m) this weekend to become the biggest animated film in the UK ever, whilst internationally the threequel has become Pixar's highest grossing film ever.

The Karate Kid , starring Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan, took the spoils of the 80s remake battle against The A-Team , taking £4.9m over BA Baracus and the boys' £3.6m opening, whilst Inception was still taking decent money at number four with £3.2m.

The full details of this week's UK Box Office are below.

UK Box Office Week Ending August 1, 2010: Top 10 films

1 Toy Story 3 £8,115,193 (Total: £39,791,223)
    2 The Karate Kid £4,882,306 (New)
    3 The A-Team £3,569,505 (New)
    4 Inception £3,229,651 (Total: £20,800,468)
    5 Shrek Forever After £899,851 (Total: £29,193,540)
    6 The Twilight Saga: Eclipse £779,142 (Total: £27,781,529)
    7 The Rebound £178,972 (Total: £916,571)
    8 Gainsbourg £135,031 (New)
    9 Predators £112,088 (Total: £5,639,739)
    10 Once Upon A Time In Mumbai £54,780 (New)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips