Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Karate Kid

Bumped to #2 by Toy Story 3

But we all knew that was going to happen. This is the summer rush after all.

But #2 isn't bad right now. The Karate Kid grossed another $29,000,000, bringing it's total to $106,254,000 already. That's well over enough to justify a sequel.

Here's something on the original Ali.
    Elisabeth Shue waxes on
    By Inside Track
    Monday, June 21, 2010 - Added 15h ago

The original “Karate Kid” hottie Elisabeth Shue hasn’t caught the remake of her 1984 flick with Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith, but copped a very Zen attitude when asked about it.

“I was happy it was being remade,” said the actress, who played Ralph Macchio’s galpal Ali Mills in the iconic martial arts flick. “I like the fact they made it differently with a different cast and different concept.”

The present-day flick, which was No. 2 at the box office last weekend, is set in China this time around. But the classic underdog story is still the same.

“I think it’s a good idea they did it, but it does make me feel old, of course,” laughed Elisabeth, who we caught up with at the 15th annual Nantucket Film Festival . “I definitely will take my little boy, who is 12, to see it.”

And here's something on the bottom line, IMO, more on the Asian release
    Karate Kid Jackie’s biggest desi opening
    Serena Menon, Hindustan Times
    Email Author
    New Delhi, June 19, 2010
    First Published: 00:25 IST(19/6/2010)
    Last Updated: 18:22 IST(19/6/2010)

Sony Pictures’ remake of the 1984 cult blockbuster, The Karate Kid, has got the biggest opening for any Jackie Chan film in India and the US. The film that stars Chan and Will Smith’s son Jaden, released in India last week.

“We are expecting the numbers to go up in the coming week following positive word-of- mouth publicity. Many shows drew full houses during the weekend,” exults Kercy Daruwala, managing director, Sony Pictures.

According to the production major, the film grossed $56 million in its first weekend worldwide. “Of this, $1 million (Rs 4.5 crore) came from the English and dubbed Hindi and Tamil versions, making it the highest grossing Jackie Chan film in India,” says a source from Sony.

Meanwhile, Bollywood has been tweeting about it on the micro-blogging website. Neil Nitin Mukesh says it’s a “must watch”, Maria Goretti (Arshad Warsi’s wife) called it “awesome” and says “that little Jaden is a treat, his mum must be beaming with pride and his dad must be saying “he is just like me”.

Salman Khan posted: “Sohail (brother Sohail Khan) saw Karate Kid with his kid Nirvaan and they both have loved it.” Sophie said, “Mr Miyagi & original Karate Kid were so brill. I never thought that magic could be recreated. Boy was I wrong! Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan ROCK!!”

Bhavesh Thakkar, marketing director, Sony, says that they had targeted Tamil Nadu, given its huge and loyal Chan fan base. Encouraged by the overwhelming response in this Southern state, they are now coming up with a dubbed Telugu version, which will open in the theatres on July 2.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

well its a bonafide grandslam its a movie that was made for 40million and has grossed a gigantic 106million. thats a hit.

I had a feeling it would be so

I have a feeling it'll be even bigger in Asia. It opens in China today.

Will Smith promises more co-productions as Karate Kid premieres
    English.news.cn 2010-06-21 09:39:15 FeedbackPrintRSS
    By Mao Renjie in Shanghai

BEIJING, June 21 (Xinhuanet) -- With The Karate Kid set to open in cinemas across the country tomorrow riding on a wave of first-week box office success in the US, producer Will Smith has pledged more Sino-US co-productions in the future.

"We shall return," promised Smith during the film's press conference in Shanghai Friday afternoon. The Karate Kid, a Sino-US co-production, stars his son Jaden Smith and martial-arts legend Jackie Chan.

Smith revealed that two potential co-productions are under discussion, again partnering with Chan.

"I believe our collaboration and accomplishment will be far beyond only a movie, but between two generations," Smith said, adding that he could not wait to do more projects with Chan.

He recalled spending four months exploring China and enjoying some of the most beautiful places on earth and expressed his disappointment in only staying in Shanghai for one day and not having enough time to see the city when he visited for the first time.

Smith said he was very proud of his son's performance in The Karate Kid.

"Jaden did a brilliant job. He is a fantastic young actor," Smith said, adding that he was happy that Jaden was "disciplined and hardworking."

The Karate Kid centers on a 12-year-old boy (Jaden Smith) from Detroit who learns self-defense kung fu from an aging maintenance man (Jackie Chan) in China. The film scored more than $56 million in its first week since premiering in the US last Friday. The Karate Kid in English with Chinese subtitles is scheduled to hit local cinemas tomorrow.
    King of kung fu lauds little prince
    Fri, Jun 18, 2010
    China Daily/Asia News Network

A solemn Jaden Smith bows and says "Master, I love you" in Chinese to Jackie Chan.

The kung fu king, in turn, laughs and gives the 12-year-old boy a big hug.

This was the scene at the opening of the Jackie Chan Cinema in western Beijing on Wednesday, which launched with the premiere of The Karate Kid, a remake of the 1980s classic.

The son of American actor and singer Will Smith has been learning kung fu from Chan on and off screen for nearly a year.

"We are proud that he can not only rap, dance, and act, but also do kung fu," says the father, who was in town to promote the film.

"But one of the most important things is that the kung fu is learned from Jackie Chan."

Will is producer of the movie along with wife Jada Pinkett Smith. The couple did not play in the movie as they "wanted to focus behind the scene".

However, Chan reveals the real reason was so they could keep an eye on Jaden as he was put through stick training and other dangerous moves.

"We all know Will is a great actor, producer and singer but he is also a good father," Chan says. "He would carry all of Jaden's stuff when we climbed the mountains. And when we shot some really dangerous moves, he was so worried about his son."

"But Chan took us out to dinner every night. All those different Chinese foods relaxed us," Will replies.

What impressed Chan most, though, was Jaden's dedication and hard work.

"I think he is born like that, he has this kind of gene," Chan says. "But he is also hard working even though he is born into such a privileged family." Chan says his stunt team trained Jaden for three months for the fight scenes before the shooting began, and adds the young boy proved himself adept at mastering all the moves.

"We did the movie last year but he still practices kung fu everyday. I am sure he will beat his father one day and then he will beat me," Chan jokes.

Directed by Harald Zwart (director of Agent Cody Banks, The Pink Panther 2), The Karate Kid tells the story of Jaden Smith as Dre Parker, who reluctantly moves with his widowed mom to China. Saved by a Mr Han from a beating at the hands of a gang of young kung fu players, Dre trains with Han, who is a secret kung fu master, for a tournament.

Despite all the movie's fight scenes, Jaden says he faced his biggest challenge while chasing in the mountains.

"I had to stay fast and watch out for wet ground and jump over sharp outgrowth in the forest," Jaden says. "But it's really cool to be a kung fu player."

Jaden got his big-screen start alongside his dad in the 2006 drama The Pursuit of Happyness and co-starred in the science-fiction remake The Day the Earth Stood Still. He says he wants to make acting a lifelong career and do more action roles.

While everybody is kung fu fighting in the movie, Jackie Chan has a surprise role. The 50-year-old plays a humble, gray-haired building maintenance worker in plain blue shirt.

"I am very happy to play a serious role," he says.

The veteran of action-comedy, whose smash hits in Hollywood include the Rush Hour series, says the new movie has fewer kung fu moves and lighthearted conversations from him.

Much of the film was shot in and around Beijing, including the Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City, the Great Wall and the Olympic venues. There was also a four-day shooting stint on Wudang Mountain in Central China, which made a great impression on Will.

"We've seen the thousands of years of history of the country in four months. That experience was so inspiring," he says.

The movie opened in the United States on June 11 and topped the US box office that weekend with nearly $60 million. Will says that he hopes the success will extend to China.

"I'm very excited about how well the movie did in the US and I hope the rest of the world will have the same reaction," says Will.

"This collaboration will speak loudly. It's truly a collaboration of two very different nations."
    Read my cover story in our current 2010 July/August issue. It'll explain Jackie's cinema.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

well gen me and you were probably the only two really promoting this film from the jump. everyone else took there guns out and was trying to make swiss cheese of it.

I was eating lunch at a favorite resturaunt today. A family was eating behind me and one small boy told his father that The Karate Kid was the best movie he had ever seen. (refering to the new one of course) He was very excited and wanted to start learning kungfu. That's worth it right there. I refered them to a good friend and let the dad know its never too late to start.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Good movie. IMO, Jaden's best role yet, and Jackie's best role in an American film since...well, maybe ever. And I never liked Jaden's characters in his other movies before, so it's amazing what a good role will do. In the audience I saw it with, a lot of clapping was going on near the end. That rarely seems to happen in movie theaters anymore. This is one of those rare remakes that surpasses the original, in this case, by about 90%. Though I still liked Pat Morita as Miyagi. And I don't think this remake will ever become as badly dated as the original has.

I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it.
    The actors were actually kids in this one as opposed to the previous 20 somethings who doubled/acted like kids in the Morita/Macchio version.
    A somewhat good story line, positive script and a family outing!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesC View Post
    I saw it last night, and like previous posters, I was surprised at how good it actually was.

One of my favorite scenes is the trip to Wudang. Except for the cobra. That was just dumb. The fact that you never heard a sound from the monks, even as they practiced their kung fu was a nice touch.

Although over-the-top, the crane technique was pretty awesome.

I'm going to go see it again tonight with my wife.
    the cobra was dumb until he used the technique at the end - then it was hilarious. I liked the silhouette of the crane while he was training with chan.

overall the movie was awesome. I saw it the day after it was released and will see it again soon. the fact that they mirrored some of the scenes from the original so well - like when jaden walks into the kung fu school - made it more than worth the price of the movie, imo.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    I liked the “because I'm still afraid”, but I don't really remember to original locker to compare. That would have taken him way longer than five minutes to get back on that stage though.

Pat Morita did do a better job and I liked the wax on training better.

I agree that the crane kick was better and more memorable and imitable than that stupid snake thing.

I did not like to two stick training thing. That would not work, and implies you can learn kung fu without having to learn kung fu.

I can suspended my belief to allow that they would let children fight full contact , But those kids would have been disqualified left and right for not responding to the ref!
    the pole thing struck me as a sensitivity drill.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Jackie's performance isn't the oscar-caliber rendention everyone is clammering about. He did ok, but actually he looked like he was forcing it more than Jayden Smith.
    sure, cuz he is used to being funny. this was way outside of his normal type role.

The locker-room speech Daniel gives about not being able to face the kids at school if he doesn't fight is much more compelling than Dre's "I'm scared speech,"
    true, but I liked them both.

all the f@cking crazy techniques. The thing I liked about Karate Kid was the fights are not outlandish. The Crane kick in this new one is completely groan-worthy.
    99.6% of all kung fu movies have outlandish fight scenes. Why would this one be different?

But Dre's mom cracked me up. I want to make babies with her.
    get in line. me first.

And I think the little Chinese bad guy may be even better than the blonde kid from the first movie.
    agreed.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

so why is it called Karate Kid? I'm not going to watch it.

I saw the movie it wasn't that bad as some of the other movies i've seen recently namely grown ups with adam sandler.

so... is there any karate in the movie?
    why do they called it the karate kid?

i have no idea, I guess they wanted ppl to know its a remake of the original. Kung fu kid must not have the same ring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackjesus View Post
    so... is there any karate in the movie?
    why do they called it the karate kid?
    your gonna have to just read back a few pages on the thread because we talked about the reason why its called karate kid...or just got see the movie.