Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: The Karate Kid

I would vote for san shou kid

wax on wax off

--

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    wax on wax off
    I think they call that a Brazilian wax!!!

Pictures Sanjuro??????

Wow, Chan looks like an old man!

they should call it the kungfu kid thats retarded
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Maybe they're not calling it Kung Fu Kid after all. Good thing I didn't change the title of this thread yet.
    But that doesn't make any sense.

Why the "F" are they doing karate in China....and if he studied with Wu and Chan what is he calling kung fu - karate

INSULT I say

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    ralph machio could never throw a kick like that. good job kid.
    I can honestly say the appeal of the original was definitely not based on the action choreagraphy.

I think it is going to be a great film but the kids and parents seeing it must be discerning about the elements of said film.

a, Is there a moral in the story line?
    b. The venue and location is great so the scenery sells. People get a chance to see MODERN CHINA.
    c. Even though the elements are not karate, any discerning parent would know or ask about the martial elements of the fil,. It is wushu. More interest and more parents of the discerning kind may say Let me enroll my chirren at a local Shaolin temple
    d. Let's face it! Jackie Chan is big! Anything Will Smith is worth a look so that is, at least, a small blockbuster.

Decent kids movies sell and if it is really great then there will be more of same.
    Though I hated the original Karate Kid, I am glad kids and teenagers and all had a good time because alot of dojos saw an increase in enrollement after the few that premiered.

ganbai!

i think calling it karate kid is offensive. i mean everything about it is Chinese martial arts. but what do average Americans know about kung fu? nothing. they think its all karate. you know how many parents call my class karate to their kids. to me calling this karate kid when its all wushu is like calling a Muslim person a Jew in the middle east
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

I'd like to think "karate kid" is tongue-in-cheek with this one and that Jackie will be constantly berating the kid for calling his kung fu "karate." I want it to be a joke, a joke that comes with a built in audience.

it probably is going to be changed...anytime you see a trailer before a poster chances are they are working on the name. they obviously cant call it the karate kid..without making themselves seem like idiots...

Controversy is good for viral marketing

I'm already a fan of the Facebook's Jackie Chan's "The Karate Kid" Movie should be called "The Kung Fu Kid" page. It's got like 63 members as of today.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    I just heard about a new perspective on the whole Karate Kid title. Apparently, Jaden's character knew some karate before coming to China. The other Chinese kids who would bully him and kick his ass around (using kung-fu) nick named him "Karate Kid" as an insult.

To me, that justifies it. It's a term of ridicule.

So there you have it.
    The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

I just saw the trailer for this. On first glance I wasn't that impressed.

I'm sure there is an explanation but I thought it a bit odd for a single mother and her son to move to China.

Also I didn't see anything here that hasn't been done a hundred times in Hollywood. Kid moves to new neighborhood and gets picked on by the locals...old and tired.

Finally I had trouble with the casting. The kid is a little shrimp. He looks like he weighs all of about 80 pounds. When I first saw him I thought it was a girl.

I didn't really see anything wrong with the Jackie Chan role.

Kung Fu vs. Karate

There's a short interview vid - follow the link.
    Jackie Chan Unsure of 'Karate Kid' Remake Title, Reveals Fate Of 'Wax On, Wax Off,' The Crane Kick
    Posted 19 hrs ago by Larry Carroll in News

Ever since the project was announced, movie fans have been clamoring for information about Will and Jada Pinkett Smith’s remake of an Eighties classic. Now, we’ve seen the first trailer and only five months remain until release, but even the film’s new Mr. Miyagi isn’t quite sure what to call it.

“We just finished the movie, ‘Karate Kid,’” Jackie Chan told me Wednesday at the People’s Choice Awards. “Um, the ‘Kung Fu Kid.’”

Say what? Over the course of the film’s shooting, rumors had leaked that since the film is set in China, the title would reference Kung Fu (a Chinese discipline) instead of karate (a Japanese form of martial arts). But the recent first trailer for the movie ended with a title card that read “The Karate Kid.” Which seems odd, since technically Jaden Smith won't be doing any karate in the movie.

“I don’t know [what it’s going to be called],” Chan admitted of the film, which is due to hit theaters in June. “Probably ‘Kung Fu Kid’ in China and ‘Karate Kid’ in America. Maybe a different title? I don’t know. But mostly we’ve called it ‘The Kung Fu Kid.’”

To some, the difference may seem minor. But to those who treat 1984's “Karate Kid” as a classic –- including star Ralph Macchio himself -– a name like “Kung Fu Kid” might signal a welcomed desire by the film to stand on its own merits.

“It’s a totally different story; a totally different story,” Chan insisted, arguing that the movie is not a strict remake. “I was in China, Jaden [Smith] was all the way from America. [The family moves] to China, then they see me, then it’s [about] how I teach him martial arts.”

Of course, one of the many reasons why the movie is interesting is because it’s produced by Hollywood super-couple Will and Jada Pinkett Smith, and it stars their 11-year-old son Jaden (“The Pursuit of Happyness”) in the Macchio role. But according to Chan, he felt no pressure stepping into the mentor role that earned late actor Pat Morita an Oscar nomination for his portrayal of Mr. Miyagi.

“No [I felt no pressure], not at all,” Chan insisted. “Really, we put a tribute [to Pat Morita] in the movie; I just do whatever I can.”

As for the key hallmarks of the original movie, Chan revealed two to us. “It’s different. We do have ‘wax on/wax off,’ but in a funny way. We’re not teaching him these kind of things,” he insisted.

And, when we asked him about the presence of Macchio’s signature crane kick move, Chan said that whatever the movie is called, the final battle scene will not involve it. “No, we don’t have those [scenes]. We show you… I don’t want to give it away. See you in June!”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Karate Kid The Movie-Like the training I think

Went to a talkie. Saw "Karate Kid The Movie" pieces. I had a Kung-Fu orgasm. Take the jacket off. Put it on. Take it off Put it on...(without words, here, Like this--protect yourself or, see, you get hit...)

There seem to be critics of character development and Hhigh-brow Critique stuff. O.K. The title...I am at the training sequences.

Kids being protective against the new guy, We all know how and you can't beat us...There's sceens ofd China modern and culture bits. It's colorful. And oh yeah, the training sequences. I saw one splice of training sequence and it was familiar to how I think of things. Learning or teaching with them at first not knowing they were being taught.

The title is on the screen briefly. the interaction. I liked the traing of the youngster. I liked the swift deft moves of Mr. Jackie Chan. I liked that there were a lot of attitudes that could stand to be adjusted or people to be educated. It seemed energetic.

I findit to be representative of learn what you are taught with at least some great training sceens and Fiercly awesome Jackie Chan in Action and acting.
    Blah Blah Blah

No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com