Page 12 of 79 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: recent purchases

That is good to hear. If I had that CD I would be blasting it really loud from my car stereo. And the Grindhouse Experience Volume 2 is $29.99, but I think its worth it. I had a lot of fun watching Three Avengers.

BTW- I thought Master Killers was a pretty bad movie. It is boring, the story and comedy is bad, and only Phillip Ko's fights have good fast choreography. Most of the other fights are slow. But the final fight is soooo good. Phillip Ko works extra hard in this movie and he is drenched with sweat in all of his fights. Plus Bolo looks pretty good. He gets to kick a lot more than he normally does. It is one of those movies where you may want to fast forward to the fights.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Yeah, I like it, but there are some parts that are pretty funny, including a square-dance fiddle version of the main tune, and of course, is starts and ends with the version with vocals. The words sung in English are really unintentionally hilarious. Those parts you may not want to blast from your car stereo.

I totally believe it that Master Killers would be good for the fights only. It would seem like that type. I really want to see Casanova Wong and the late Blackie Ko team. They were both great kickers, and would bring out a good fight with Phillip Ko. This was one of those few that I never got a chance to see.

I saw some clips of Five Fingers of Steel. It seems to star Kwan Young-Moon, perhaps filmed in HK? If it does have Hwang Jang-Lee, maybe it was filmed back-to-back with Young Hero(?). In the clip, it looked like Kwan was fighting the guy who played the lead from Young Hero.

Yeah it may have been filmed back to back. I haven't seen Young Hero but I do know it has Yuen Mo who is also a main actor in Five Fingers. Unfortunately Hwang only fights in the finale, but I enjoyed the movie because Yen Shi Kwan does a lot of fighting. Five Fingers is an aka for Blood Child. Best line of the movie- "Monster! How come the baby's a monster!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

I went to Best Buy yesterday and they didn't have the Rebellious Reign multi-pack, but I did get the Grindhouse 2 collection. And watched Master Killers. The story and comedy ARE bad. I can't tell you how tiring it is to see another old seedy master playing keep-away with a prospective student. And I thought Casanova Wong came off surprisingly weak compared to usual. He didn't seem as technically sharp or sure of himself in this film. Neither he nor Blackie Ko seemed to know or care that Casanova's "wife" was dead and the kid missing...instead, Blackie gets caught up in said juvenile "hide the bowl" game.

The final 15 or so minutes, though, is awesome. And Phillip Ko simply dominates in his fights. This COULD have been a great film, had they tried a little harder with the story. Also, the dubbing was the "C" crew (how I refer to the dubbers who mostly seemed to dub Godfrey Ho's films into English). Half the time they are unintelligible.

Phillip Ko shows why he was one of the best old-school villains of all time. He also possessed excellent all-around abilities. Although not a super-kicker himself, he made a superb opponent for super-kicking heroes. Oddly enough, in this film he not only dominates the fights, but the kicking as well.

That is definitely Phillip Ko at his best. Nobody can move like him. And I thought Cassanova looked pretty good. He has a moment where he starts doing his incredibly fast spinning kicks, and then he has that one part where he jumps off of Blackie Ko and jumps over Phillip Ko and kicks him in the back. On repeated viewings that fight just gets better and better.

Yeah, there are some kf movie final fights that you can watch over and over again, and they're always fun, even get better and better. Master Killers is one of those. Others include the finale of The Kid from Kwangtung, The Master Strikes, Warriors Two, Two Fists Against the Law, The Himalayan, Five Superfighters, 3 Evil Masters, etc., etc.

I am hoping that DD will eventually release The Himalayan, IMO perhaps Tan Tao-Liang's best overall performance. Also one of Angela Mao's best. And their finale against Chen Sing is a classic. That is, if DD ever gets around to releasing any old-school films again. (I wanted to gripe about this on kungfucinema, but since they changed/upgraded, I can no longer login and post there. But my account is still there, according to Mark Pollard. But I will probably need a whole new, upgraded computer to log in there again).

That sucks. I hope to see you back there soon. You are probably my favorite person I like to talk kung with.

BTW, I am going to get the remastered versions of What Price Honesty. Killer Constable, and Kid From Kwangtung soon. I will be sure to tell you my thoughts.

Jethro:
    All three of those are good films. What Price Honesty is a very dark film, so I think you will like it. Killer Constable has some of the best and most brutal sword fights in it, as you already know!! And though there is some lame comedy in Kid From Kwangtung (do I remember disco zombies?), Hwang Jang Lee and Ren Shi-Guan are awesome (what little you see of Ren). Wang Yu is okay. His training scenes are very nice. One of his better fight movies, but it's carried by Hwang all the way. Yang Pan-Pan and her "mother" in the film are awesome. Little Unicorn even had a small role as a Ming patriot. The end finale is, IMO, Hwang at his very best. Enjoy!!

Fire Bulls directed by Lee Chia

I bought Heroes Two and Instructors of Death today. A couple weeks ago I bought the Jet Li Ultimate Collection(Evil Cult, Shaolin Temple 1 & 2, Claws of Steel) and the Gordon Liu Ultimate Collection(4 Assassins, Master of Disaster AKA Treasure Hunters, Shaolin & Wu Tang, Shaolin Martial Arts). Unfortunately most of those are dubbed and are horrible transfers.

Kung fu movies are a crapshoot.

Secret of the Water Technique
    Green jade Statuette- I have been waiting to see this forever!

I also got War and I liked it a lot. Not a great movie, but its stylish and has a nice twist in the story at the end. And even though corey Yuen is restricted to what he can choreograph I still liked the fights. There is a lot of editing but it flows together very smoothly. I liked all the action scenes, except that samurai sword fight. But the sledgehammer against shovel fight makes up for that.

I just got done watching the first 6 episodes of volume 4 of Batman the Animated Series. I don't know why I bought the first 3 volumes and held off on buying this for so long. This show is so fvcking dark!! In episode 6 Batman tries to kill a guy and Robin (the new Robin) has to stop him. This show was not meant for kids, but I loved it when I was a kid! Dare I say it, volume 4 is probably the best out of the 4 volumes. I will have to watch the other 18 episodes before making a final judgement on that. Such an awesome show!

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    I just got done watching the first 6 episodes of volume 4 of Batman the Animated Series. I don't know why I bought the first 3 volumes and held off on buying this for so long. This show is so fvcking dark!! In episode 6 Batman tries to kill a guy and Robin (the new Robin) has to stop him. This show was not meant for kids, but I loved it when I was a kid! Dare I say it, volume 4 is probably the best out of the 4 volumes. I will have to watch the other 18 episodes before making a final judgement on that. Such an awesome show!
    man this show was forkids thats why it came on kids WB(just kidding i know exactly what you mean). but anyway it was the best you will never see cartoons like this not anymore. they touch dark subjects but they tread softly batman plunged into it like the dark night jumping off a building rooftop into the moonlight. beautful. i loved this show and still do. another one which was pretty dark was the x men show. that came on fox. expiecially the wolverine eps.

it seems like volume 4 is darker than 1-3. You are right they touch on a lot of dark subjects. This show is way better than I remember it, probably because I can fully understand everything now that I am older.

man i use to watch batman everyday when i got home. i was obsessed with batman as a kid. i even watched the old adam west show. but this by far was the best. yeah it gets darker in four.