Page 11 of 79 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: recent purchases

Bourne Ultimatum- this movie is intense all the way through. Don't blink or you will have to rewind. If this is the end of the Bourne series then that is ok. It is a good ending
    there is one more bourne movie coming cause there is one more book out.

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    there is one more bourne movie coming cause there is one more book out.
    Doug have you heard if its been confirmed that there will be a 4th? I heard there was a possibility, but that as awhile ago. That would be so awesome if there is a 4th.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

well the sales on the fourht book were pretty big. so i'm just assuming that there will be a fourht once i hear of a fourth film in the works i'll let you know. right now the only thing coming out of hollywood is strike strike strike. every union wants to strike now.

Jethro:
    How good is Counterattack? Besides Bruce Li and John Ladalski, it also has Dan Inosanto featured in it. I'd assume it should be decent if Inosanto lent himself to the project.

I have heard that The Kid from Kwangtung is supposed to be released soon (or by now). I dunno about that; I'll believe it when I see it, but I've been waiting 25 years to own this one. Is it from Celestial, DD, or ???

I love the Bourne movies. Though I missed the second one. These are fast-paced, exciting, and as a bonus, the fights are very well-done; Matt Damon's fight scene with the hitman in Morocco was excellent.

You have to have a region 3 PAL player to see Kid From Kwangtung. I am hoping to see it soon. Go to the buy/sell/trade section on kungfufandom and someone will make a copy for you if you want to trade.

Counter Attack is decent. Horrible story, but good fights. It is the best performance I have ever seen from John Ladaski. Inosanto is wasted, but he has a good fight wth Bruce Li towards the end. he shows some amazing speed using double sticks. Final fight between Shaking Eagle and Bruce Li is a bit of a letdown, but still decent.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

6. stuff I got

Hi all,

I was at my usual store the other day, and got some more MA movies and related.

Picked up Bruce Lee's "Return of the Dragon". I've never seen this, nor any of the other ones I got with this.

Sammo Hung's "The Prodigal Son".

Sonny Chiba Action Pack, with "Virus", "Bullet Train", and "Gologo 13"(I think that's the title).

Hope it's all good. Comments welcome.

Chosen One

Quote Originally Posted by kungpowmaster View Post
    Hi all,

I was at my usual store the other day, and got some more MA movies and related.

Picked up Bruce Lee's "Return of the Dragon". I've never seen this, nor any of the other ones I got with this.

Sammo Hung's "The Prodigal Son".

Sonny Chiba Action Pack, with "Virus", "Bullet Train", and "Gologo 13"(I think that's the title).

Hope it's all good. Comments welcome.

Chosen One
    Sammo Hung's "The Prodigal Son". thats the best of the bunch definitely. amzing fights and good story.

I picked up Shaw Bros. 10pack. So far i've watched The White Lotus Trio,Raiders of buddhist kung fu, and Guns of the Master Killer. I thought they were all good.
    1 Sam. 16:7

just picked up goregeous. they idea of this film was pretty good it was just poorly executed.

Such a great christmas, just like it always is. I got-

Newsradio season 5
    The Office season 2
    Crank Yankers Season 2 Volume 1
    Where's Officer Tuba?
    Duel of Ultimate Weapons
    Sword Named Revenge/Dream Sword- Rarescope 2-pack

kungpowmaster:
    Return of the Dragon (aka, Way of the Dragon) is my favorite of Bruce Lee's films, simply because his moves seem a lot sharper than in his other films, and he has sharper opponents in Chuck Norris and Hwang In-Sik (who was the villain in Jackie Chan's The Young Master as well as Dragon Lord).

Prodigal Son is simply one of the best m.a. movies.

I haven't seen those particular Chiba movies, but I think some of those are not bad from what I hear.

Doug:
    All I liked about Gorgeous were the fights between Jackie and the little Australian(?) guy. Those were fun, but the rest was a bit depressing. Hong Kong seems almost like a ghost town in this film; there's hardly any characters at all, and it feels claustrophobic. But I think it's still better than what Jackie's been putting out recently (or what I've seen recently).

I've been waiting for more Shaw releases to come out...good ones, though. I kinda want to get the new release of 'Help!' but it's still full-price. I'm also planning to get the season 1 to 3 of Harvey Birdman: Attorney-At-Law", but those are a little pricey, too, but they're hilarious.

Those 2 fights in Gorgeous were good, but the wire worked really bugged me. And I hate how it turns into a stupid comedy at the end. If JAckie would have played it straight faced all the way through, the movie would have been a lot better.

Kungpowmaster let me know what you think of Virus. I have never seen it. I thought Bullet Train and Golgo 13 were decent enough, but Golgo could have been so much better. And just so you know, Bullet Train is not a fighting movie and Chiba only has a cameo. still pretty good though.

I got the Videoasia Grindhouse volume 2 20-pack today and there are tons of good movies. Three Avengers is one of the 2 kung fu movies included, and the other is Master Killers. I just watched MK and the 12 minute final fight with Phillip Ko vs Cassanova Wong and Blacky Ko is awesome. Definitely one of the best fights I have ever seen.

I also got-

Ma Su Chen- Wang Yu
    Gods of Wutang aka Duel of the Masters
    Mr Show season 1 and 2
    The Adventures of Super Mario Bros 3 (guilty pleasure)

Jethro:
    Is the picture quality in the Grindhouse 2 pack of decent quality? The Three Avengers (aka, The Lama Avenger) is one of Bruce Li's best movies, also has a good role for Chien Yueh-Sheng and Lee Hoi-San. And I've been wanting to buy a DVD of Master Killers for a long time. Did you find this at Best Buy? I'm a little leery of buying a multi-pack of Videoasias, but dang, they do get their hands on some really good ones (haven't yet got the Videoasia release of Rebellious Reign due to these ongoing concerns).

You should get Rebellious Reign ASAP. They have that 5 pack that has rebellious Reign, Crazy Guy with Super Kung Fu (Lee I Min, Sun Jung Chi, Peng Kong), Shaolin MAster and the Kid (one of Yueh Hua's best), Five Fingers of Steel (Kwan Young Moon, Yen Shi Kwan, Hwang...) and Ninja Terminator (super fun Godfrey Ho ninja flick with Hwang). Picture quality on all those are good except for Crazy Guy with super Kung Fu. Rebellious Reign is going to be remastered soon by Joy Sales and a good version will FINALLY be out, but the videoasia version is more than watchable. It is full screen, but I would let you know if it cut out a lot of action, like the very badly full screened Duel of the 7 Tigers.

I previewed 3 Avengers that is part of the 20 pack and it looks fine to me. Dare I say good? Master Killers is from the Ocean Shores print and the picture quality is fine. Sound goes bad for about 20 minutes and is hard to hear, but nothign to worry about. I got the 20 pack at Best Buy and I found it in the horror section. Make sure to get grindhouse volume 2 and not volume 1. Only 2 kung fu flicks, but a few of the other movies look good. Car chase movies, Bond spoofs, shark movies. I just watched The Shark Hunter and it was pretty cool.

Also check otu the Woo Ping 6-pack. It has a movie called Kung Fu MAssacre aka Big showdown that is an AWESOME basher. Charles Heung is great in it and there is some other guy who is a great kicker. It also has a really good version of dance of the drunken Mantis. Here is a review I did for it. http://www.amazon.com/Martial-Arts-E...8735800&sr=8-1

And stay far away from the Jackie chan 4 pack. The only reason I got it was for the movie Kung Fu Cook. Cheung Lik and Bolo have a fight at the start of the movie. Lik looks pretty awesome, but the fight is way too short. You have to wait until the end of the movie to see the other good fight. It is a pole fight between Bolo and an old master and it gets really weird. Strobe lights come on and the old guy is doing flips and stuff. He gets beat, and then Bruce TOng does some drunken style. And Bruce Tong does a really weird dance that even Carlton of Fresh Prince of Bel Air would call weird. Crazy stuff. I don't know who the old guy is in this fight, but he has some really good acrobatics and is a good fighter. This movie is horrible, but I enjoyed some of it. I give it a rating of 1.5/5.
    Last edited by jethro; 12-26-2007 at 11:23 PM.

Jethro:
    Thanks for the info.
    I think next time I'm out at Best Buy I'll look for the pack with Rebellious Reign and the Grindhouse 2 pack. I really want to see Master Killers, and if it's from the Ocean Shores print, it should be pretty decent quality. Anyways, I don't think these packs are very expensive, anyway.

This isn't a m.a. movie, but one of my gifts for Christmas was the original soundtrack CD of La Resa Dei Conti (a.k.a., The Big Gundown; a.k.a., Colorado). As you already know, this soundtrack or parts of it are heard in the Secret Rivals 1 & 2, Fighting Ace, The Dragon the Hero, Bandits Prostitutes & Silver, etc., etc. As far as I can tell, they don't sell it anywhere; my sister-in-law had to special-order it from Europe. I like collecting good, old soundtracks, especially spaghetti western soundtracks and other types that were used in a lot of the old-school kf movies. Besides, I'm a fan of the great composer Ennio Morricone anyway.