Thread: recent purchases

Hybrid View

I'm back! I finally have a computer of my own again. I'll be sure to check in here a lot more often now.

The only thing I really disagree with you on Jimbo is Shanghai 13. For me it's a 10/10. I have an English dub version, but the story isn't too important in this movie. It's all about the fights, and the star power that's involved in the fights. Also it's a good chance to see rarely used actors like Sonny Yu and Peter Chang get good roles.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Greetings, Jethro.

I suppose what dropped it down to a 6/10 for me was, when the movie's slow, it's slooooooooowwwww. I agree with you on the fights, though. I really like Chi Kuan-Chun, Ti Lung, and Cheng Tien-Chi's performances. IMO, Cheng Tien-Chi is better at playing a villain than a hero.

Gallants

I absolutely loved this movie.

It stars many of the old-school Shaw Brothers-and-related kung fu actors: Bruce Leung (Leung Siu-Lung); Chen Kuan-Tai; Lo Meng; Chan Wai-Man; Teddy Robin Kwan; Susan Shaw (Shaw Yin-Yin, now virtually unrecognizable from her role as the mob girl who seduced Fu Sheng's character in Chinatown kid); and Ku Kuan-Chung, also nearly unrecognizable, in a walk-on part as a police officer. Also starring newcomers Wang You-Nam and J.J. Jia.

I won't go into details about the film, only that this is the most entertained I've felt watching a new HK movie (or Chinese film, period) in YEARS. I actually enjoyed it more than either of the Ip Man movies. Gallants lacks the ubiquitous nationalism so prevalent in Chinese films today, and offers a brief return to when HK movies were fun. It's so good to see these old-timers get a chance to act again, and I was especially impressed with Chen Kuan-Tai's acting. All of the main characters are likable. On the physical side, Bruce Leung, in particular, doesn't appear to have missed a beat. Gallants includes both funny and sad moments, and for old-school KF film fans, besides being an homage to the genre, it also feels like a quiet farewell. There is no younger generation who will take the place of these KF movie veterans.

The version I got was the 2011 release by Tokyo Shock.

10/10.

The 4 Assassins (a.k.a., Marco Polo). 1975.

This was another excellent film during the period in which director Chang Cheh was featuring Fu Sheng and Chi Kuan-Chun. The other two assassins are played by Kuo Chui and Tang Yen-Tsan. American actor Richard Harrison plays Marco Polo.
    The Mongolian villains are portrayed by Leung Kar-Yan, Wang Lung-Wei, and Gordon Liu. Also featuring Shih Szu, Carter Wong, Ting Hua-Chung, Chen Hui-Lou, and Sung Jung-Chi.

I've loved this movie for years, but unfortunately, the only release of it available is from Bonzai (a.k.a., Red Sun), a bootleg version. This release has only the English dub version, and there are a couple of times the screen freezes; once as Carter Wong's character is being killed, and again a couple times during the end fight between Chi Kuan-Chun and Gordon Liu. It unfreezes after a few seconds, but it's very annoying. However, like many of the other good Shaw films, the chances of a "legitimate" release of it by Dragon Dynasty, Media Blasters/Tokyo Shock, Well Go USA, etc., are probably slim to none. At least with the exception of the couple of glitches, this release has a clear picture quality and decent sound.

The movie itself: 9/10. The Bonzai release of it: 5/10.

The Legend is Born: Ip Man.

This movie turned out to be better than I had expected; not at the beginning, but as it went on. Probably starting with the parts featuring Ip Chun. From then on, it became interesting to me. I do appreciate that this film, as well as Donnie Yen's Ip Man films, does NOT focus on the overused contemporary wushu, as most Chinese MA films do.

Dennis To was good as the young Ip Man, but IMO, Fan Siu-Wong was far more interesting as his adopted brother. I always liked Fan and am still not sure why he never became a bigger star. He certainly has the physical talent and the acting ability as well. Although the character he plays is in his early twenties, Fan must be around 40 by now.

It's nice to see Yuen Biao in a sizeable role in a new film again.

Is this an accurate account of Ip Man's early life? I may not be a WC practitioner, but I can confidently say, 'not a chance.' It's entertainment, not as exaggerated as, but in ways similar to, the Jet Li Wong Fei-Hong series in the '90s. Creating legends around a famous historical kung fu figure. The end fight is very entertaining; I won't give it away, and I'm sure there are more in-depth reviews on this film's story elsewhere. I would have liked to have seen more varying rhythm in the fight...pauses, different speeds, etc., enhances the dramatic impact of a fight scene. The fights in this film tend towards one speed; constant, full-speed, with virtually no pauses.

Hopefully, other Chinese MA styles and characters will now be featured in good, high-quality, prominent films. I'll be looking forward to seeing Donnie Yen in Ip Man 3, but beyond that, cinematic WC is becoming played out, IMO. If they run it into the ground, they risk creating another kung fu movie bust.

A good watch, but nothing really outstanding. 7/10.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-19-2012 at 12:35 AM.

That's pretty much the same thoughts I have on Legend is Born. Good but nothing special. I liked the lead actor a lot.

Picked up Videoasia's latest offering, One Armed Blade 4 film collection.

One Armed Swordsman 94- good flick. Damian Lau gives an incredible dramatic performance. And David Chiang shows once again that his sword skills improved greatly as he got older.

Point the Finger of Death- Wang Yu and Lau Kar Wing star as one armed guys. Very good movie with lots of good fighting. And Leung Kar Yan as a villain is always a joy to watch. Lung Fei also stars, and the final fight was a little disappointing compared to their fights in One Armed Boxer
    and Return of Chinese Boxer.

BUT THE MAIN PROBLEM WITH THIS MOVIE IS THAT IT IS CUT VERY BADLY!! Prepare to be extremely angry when watching the unimaginable cuts they made.

One Armed Swordsman vs Nine Killers- ok flick. Nothing really stood out to me.

One Armed Swordsmen- not watched.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Fight the Fight (a.k.a., Choy Lee Fut)

I really wanted to like this movie, esp. since I'm a CLF practitioner. Unfortunately, this is one of those films that could have been SO much better. The main stars are Sammy Hung (Sammo's son), Kane Kosugi (Sho's son, although oddly enough, I don't think his name was in the main credits), Yuen Wah (as the master of the CLF school), and Sammo Hung (in a bit role), and Lau Kar-Wing in a very brief role as a Hung Gar master.

There are some decent parts, esp. Kane's end fight, and one flashback fight between a CLF man and a karate black belt. But the CGI used in the flashback scenes (esp. the staff fight between Sammo Hung and Yuen Wah) look really cheap.

The worst parts of the film involve the 'romantic' scenes between Sammy and his new girlfriend, and the CLF school's senior and his wife. They were probably an attempt to bring balance to the film, but these scenes really suck. There is nothing appealing or sexy about grown women who behave like 8 to 10 year-old girls. And these scenes add nothing to the film, and only serve to drag the pace of the whole movie down.

This purpose of this movie seemed aimed at inspiring more young people to learn kung fu, esp. CLF. Unfortunately, this wouldn't be the movie to do that. Besides, the worldwide craze now is with MMA, BJJ, etc.

4.5/10.

The Flying Guillotine

Starring Chen Kuan-Tai, Ku Feng, Frankie Wei, Wong Yue.

This is a good Shaw Bros film that really features the flying guillotine, even better than The Master of the Flying Guillotine did. It follows the weapon from its fictitious invention, even showing how it appears to work, etc. The fights are average, but the real star is the guillotine itself. Only one issue is, why do the victims stand still as the weapon is flying from a distance to go over their heads? Suspension of disbelief is a must, but once the thing is on their heads, the effect is fairly convincing.

6.5/10.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 06-08-2012 at 10:35 AM.