Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Style, concept, or art

Style, concept, or art

In my own opinion from what I am being taught and what I have read, Jeet Kune Do, is an art. If anyone has their opinion on what JKD is please share it as I would love to hear it.

I'll just paste what I wrote in your other thread. This is pretty much my view on JKD.

I myself follow the CONCEPT of Jeet Kune Do. I stress the word concept because that's what it is, it is not a style. Jeet Kune Do is a pholosophy for life in gneral and one that can be applied to martial arts. It is to be open, to flow like water, have no restrictions, never trap yourself. To develop your Jeet Kune Do in martial arts one must first have training in some sort of style in order to learn what it means to punch, block, kick, etc. The ideal style to be trained in is the one developed by Bruce Lee himself, Jun Fan Gung Fu, but it is not absolutely neccessary. Once you have reached a proficient level in your chosen style you may begin to strip away what does not fit your personality and incorporate differente things into your training, from other styles, from anything in life really. Be fluid, be open, have no restrictions, this is the true essence of Jeet Kune Do. The person with the best style is the one who has risen above styles. As Bruce Lee himself said, "Have no limitation as limitation, Use no way as way." and "Be water my friend."
    "Jeet Kune Do is the art not founded on technique or doctrine. It is just as you are." -Bruce Lee

I fully understand what you are getting at, and why you believe its a concept. I have seen some Dan Insanto Concept videos but those are the concets of JKD. they don't teach the stance Bruce created nor some of the methods or principles.

Its not only a concept, but a style and an art.

I believe the style is Jun Fan Gung Fu, which served as the base for learning Jeet Kune Do but any style really can serve as a base. It is important to know what it means to punch, kick, block, etc. only then can you learn to strip away what is useless to you and incorporate what is useful to you. Be it from any part of life. This video explains it really well: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-gnfAYRoo...elated&search=

He says there are two parts, the Jun Fan Gung Fu and the Jeet Kune Do. I believe that your "base style" does not have to neccessarily have to be Jun Fan Gung Fu, as Bruce Lee's "base style" was not Jun Fan Gung Fu but Wing Chun lol. Yes, it is the ideal "base style" but just like everything else in Jeet Kune Do, it's not absolutely necessary.
    "Jeet Kune Do is the art not founded on technique or doctrine. It is just as you are." -Bruce Lee

Thats Dan Inosanto, he teaches the concept, not the style. If you want to watch good videos of JKD or learn more about JKD find Tommy carruthers, he is almost like Bruce Lee. Thats where I go to research or watch videos to further learn about JKD or learn JKD.

I don't know so much, but I know quite about about JKD. I have a friend who is teaching me, he knows more about JKD then me. So he might be able to explain to you that it is a style or art.

Quote Originally Posted by JKDISBEST View Post
    Thats Dan Inosanto, he teaches the concept, not the style. If you want to watch good videos of JKD or learn more about JKD find Tommy carruthers, he is almost like Bruce Lee. Thats where I go to research or watch videos to further learn about JKD or learn JKD.

I don't know so much, but I know quite about about JKD. I have a friend who is teaching me, he knows more about JKD then me. So he might be able to explain to you that it is a style or art.
    its an honour to have you on our forum. your know is best.

Quote Originally Posted by street_fighter View Post
    its an honour to have you on our forum. your know is best.
    hahaha come on let's not get sarchastic lol

Listen my friend, I think we have to agree to disagree here. Bruce Lee himself said JKD is not a style, Dan Inosanto was his chief student so I value his view quite a lot. I believe the style you keep referring to is not Jeet Kune Do but Jun Fan Gung Fu. Good luck in your training.

I personally prefer his thread about the video games......

oh, and the answer is crane style, do right, no can defend
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

That video games was dumb, and zippo I will agree to disagree, but I know I am right, and you are also right with some things that you have said.

Art? More like F A R T!

JKD,

Just read what has been published and what is being taught. THe Jun Fan concept vs nucleus vs I am Bruce Lee's illegitimate son is all political in fighting.

Dan was the man as far as JKD was concerned until something went wrong. He basically controlled the defining route of everything that was JKD. Now this JUN Fan gung fu nonsense and what Dan does as not being authentic is a bunch of nonsense.

The Jun Fan gung fu stuff is bunch of Wing chun and other things mashed together surround by Lee's theories and concepts he followed. HE was alway adding to it and as the quote goes "Be like water my friend"

In other words use what works. If a jab works use the jab. I doubt he would have wanted generation to take everything he worked on and forced it to fit into a box.

but back to what I think you are doing.... take your is concepts vs nucleus bs to a thread that says "Which is legitimate JKD concepts or what ever Linda Lee is holding up as authentic"
    What, me worry?

JKD is MMA. "Use what works, discard the rest." All this style stuff is nonsense. Bruce wanted to get away from forms and ceremony. He was fast enough and quick enough to use some techniques other people would have trouble with. His quick recovery allowed him to use what might be considered "unrealistic techniques."

Look at his writings. He has positive and negative things to say about all styles he learned things from.

Is MMA a style? Of course not. Neither is JKD.

Anyone who thinks it's a style is probably a TMA who idolized Bruce Lee b/c that's what he wants to look like when he's fighting (****y and cool), and so tries to assimilate his philosophy into his current martial knowledge, calling it a style. Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken.

Jeet Kune Do is the philosohpy of "open-ness"

Create your own Jeet Kune Do from your knowledge

I don't personally believe JKD is MMA because I associate MMA with fighting without a purpose, just stupid competition and that isn't what martial arts is about. Violence should never be glorified.

JKD is a philosophy of being open, fluid, never rigid.

Zippo: The "purpose" of MMA fighting is to win the fight. That is what martial arts are all about. Many arts have had a philosophical framework either influence or grow around the art (Bruce borrowed heavily from Krishnamurti, Lao Tzu, and many others), but the purpose is coming out on top in a violent encounter.

I think the whole "martial arts aren't about fighting" thing is a decadent product of practicing empty hand and cold arms based arts in an era when guns have largely made a lot of our stuff obsolete. Bruce was obsessed with martial efficacy. As to glorifying violence, the founder of the "whatever" of JKD made a living in kung fu cinema.

In the immortal words of Chopper Reid: Harden the f$@k up, Zippo88! I don't think Bruce wanted his ideas turned into hippiefied pseudo-martial arts.

Brian
    "I will annihilate you using a combination of martial taiji, bagua, and krav maga. Now grab my arm with one hand on my wrist and the other one on my elbow... it has to be right on the elbow or it won't work." -Dale Gribble

I agree with Zippo on his MMA comments. MMA is a bunch of guys throwing horrible punches and kicks and hugging each other, thats not JKD.

JKD is about ending an altercation without wasting time or energy. Its about being direct,effcient, and with simpliciety. Also JKD focuses of using any tools that fit you and being able to adapt to the situation, unlike in MMA they have to follow a set of rules and boundrys, which doesn't allow them to adapt to their fight fully.