Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Death of TMA

A thread like this makes me wonder how relevant martial arts (hand to hand combat) is in our society at all.

I mean, how often (after grade school) do you really exchange fisti-cuffs with someone in your everyday life? Hardly ever. And if it does happen, you most likely put yourself in that situation.

If any ancient fighting art was truly evolving it would become a sport entirely. There would be no arguments. You compete, you either win or loose.....end of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    What makes someone a talented TCMA?
    he has to be making a lot of money from teaching BS to many many ppl
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    A thread like this makes me wonder how relevant martial arts (hand to hand combat) is in our society at all.

I mean, how often (after grade school) do you really exchange fisti-cuffs with someone in your everyday life? Hardly ever. And if it does happen, you most likely put yourself in that situation.

If any ancient fighting art was truly evolving it would become a sport entirely. There would be no arguments. You compete, you either win or loose.....end of discussion.
    What part of My Little Pony Land do you live in? Sport is great, but it's not the final outcome of any evolutionary process.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Practicing martial arts makes you healthy, brings you together with new friends, gives you enjoyment, reconnects you with your body and the physical world (very important for office workers, academics, etc., which make up much of our workforce), and helps you participate in our cultural heritage.

That's about as relevant as you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    he has to be making a lot of money from teaching BS to many many ppl
    If thats your idea of success, then i suppose your training in wushu makes sense

While any sort of combative skill is obviously only an emergency measure for the average person, id say that of those skills hand to hand combat still does retain a very important place. A gun or knife should only be drawn when the situation clearly demands the use of absolute force, leaving a massive grey area to be covered by unarmed combat. It may be a nessicary step towards aquiring or drawing a weapon. It also arguable requires much longer to gain true proficiency in, and so needs extra attention.

Sometimes you don't put yourself into anything but you just happen to live in a socio-economic segment of society that has a different texture to that of which you apparently have become accustomed too.

I didn't live in any sort of a sedate loving and happy community until I was almost 30 yeasr old. The rest was tied up in middle impoverishment and a lot of people around me were let's say "entrepreneurial" in their approach to living. There was lots of conflict and plenty of physical violence.

Nowadays, I enjoy a more sedentary life in a relatively quiet setting where the people are better off financially and educationally.

But After reading this, I'm afraid I would agree with rogue on his assessment of your world view. You gotta get out in the world more.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Just as there are people of the mindset "I don't ARGH! want to learn a buncha RAWR! goofy forms and UGH! philosophical crap. I just wanna take someone's GROWL!!! face and bash it into floor! Awoooooooo!" (This isn't the majority of MMA school attitudes, but there are way more than there should be.)

There will also be people whose outlook is more like "Sweet, I wanna do moves like in that movie I saw. WATAAAH! Those pajamas are cool!" This is the majority of TMA schools.

At the same time, there are people of the mindset "I don't want someone telling me I can stop a grappler with eye gouging, but at the same time, it's called Martial ARTS; I don't mind doing something besides learning how to hurt people. Besides, I left all the chest pounding and ego-stroking behind when I got out of Junior High." This is the extreme minority of TMA schools. They won't teach you to beat someone who fights professionally day in and day out, every day, but they will help you handle yourself when some insecure twit takes a swing at you for "lookin at his woman." And every once in a while you can actually do something besides learning creative ways to punch an opponent you just took down in the face as they're begging for mercy
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Most TCMA feature inside trips, but now with people doing BJJ this is a very bad idea
    because I have zero ground fighting knowledge, would you elaborate a bit on why the inside trips get one kill against a bjj guy?
    dazed and confused

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingMonk View Post
    because I have zero ground fighting knowledge, would you elaborate a bit on why the inside trips get one kill against a bjj guy?
    Inside trips, as a rule, land you directly in the BJJer's guard. If you have zero ground fighting knowledge, not a good place to be.
    "My only 'aesthetic' is to be the guy who's NOT lying down on the ground broken." - WaterDragon

Even worse are the step behind takedowns favored by Hung Ga... straight into a knee bar.

appreciate the wisdom
    dazed and confused

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Even worse are the step behind takedowns favored by Hung Ga... straight into a knee bar.
    You know, I used to give you just a bit of credit when you said drivle like this... Then I took your advise and found a good, proper grappling teacher. Now I know it's baised drivel.

A "step behind take down" is called a sweep. And I have been taught 4 different ways to do them from a wrestler's point of veiw. And all 4 have a mirror in TCMA. This tells me that a TCMA guy getting knee bared with that move is like a grappler getting knee bared: It's a lack of experiance, not a style thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Knifefighter - I'm not that familiar with Hung Ga, care to elaborate? Thanks.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

I assure you that Knifefighter is even less familiar with Hung Ga than you are.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Becca View Post
    You know, I used to give you just a bit of credit when you said drivle like this... Then I took your advise and found a good, proper grappling teacher. Now I know it's baised drivel.

A "step behind take down" is called a sweep. And I have been taught 4 different ways to do them from a wrestler's point of veiw. And all 4 have a mirror in TCMA. This tells me that a TCMA guy getting knee bared with that move is like a grappler getting knee bared: It's a lack of experiance, not a style thing.
    LOL... In MMA, wrestling and BJJ we call it a takedown.

And good luck the first time you step between a sub-grapplers legs from behind.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 08-06-2007 at 09:29 AM.