Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pope to the rest of you...

The problem isn't really "organized" religion, its Dogma, the problem is that too many people put faith in other people rather than the teachings of which ever prophet their faith is based on.
    People tell them to kill or that only THIS religion is the true one and instead of reading and judging for themselves, they believe what they are being told, even if it is in B&W against the very core of the faith the decided to follow.

does the bible not say that those who do not believe in God shall parish? Does it not say "put no other gods before Me"? Does it not say that if you choose not to know God in life, then He will not know you in death?

the bible definitely says that christianity is the one true way to salvation.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    does the bible not say that those who do not believe in God shall parish? Does it not say "put no other gods before Me"? Does it not say that if you choose not to know God in life, then He will not know you in death?

Ah, interpretation is a *****...
    Now you just have to "explain" what it means to "believe", to "put no other gods" and what "to know God" means...

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post
    Ratzinger reminds me of the Evil emperor from Starwars.
    At least Palpatine had cool powers. He threw senatorial pods like paper, shot lighting and could do lots of flips with a lightsabre. What's Ratzinger done? He put on some clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post

Ah, but Jesus, being a Jew mind you, said that in order to believe in G'd and follow the way, you had to be JEWISH and follow the torah, Moses' law.... Today, no one in the Catholic church is following the law of Moses, so they must all be going to Heck in a handbasket huh?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Ah, but Jesus, being a Jew mind you, said that in order to believe in G'd and follow the way, you had to be JEWISH and follow the torah, Moses' law.... Today, no one in the Catholic church is following the law of Moses, so they must all be going to Heck in a handbasket huh?
    he also said that ALL that believe in him shall be saved....

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    he also said that ALL that believe in him shall be saved....
    Did HE say that, or did people AFTER him say that? There is a huge community and discussion regarding what is original and what has been added and/or altered. See "miquoting Jesus" for example!

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Did HE say that, or did people AFTER him say that? There is a huge community and discussion regarding what is original and what has been added and/or altered. See "miquoting Jesus" for example!
    If you take ONE part as Gospel, all is, if you question one part, ALL must be questioned.

If you take ONE part as Gospel, all is, if you question one part, ALL must be questioned.
    Unlike Mohammed, Jesus did not establish his community, administer to it and create his church. What we have are accounts of his teachings. The earliest ones, Paul, are written by a man who by his own admission never knew Jesus in life and whom broke with the traditions that Jesus had established. We also know that Paul's teachings conflicted with those of James, Jesus' brother.

The four gospels were written generations after Jesus, and they contradict eachother. It would be irrational and foolish to take them as unquestionable and perfect

Furthermore, when we know that Jesus and the first generation were Jews, raised in that tradition, we know that you can not interpret sacred writings in that manner, as that is not how they are interpreted in Jewish tradition and that Jesus and his first generation followers would have never accepted them in that form

Unlike Mohammed, Jesus did not establish his community, administer to it and create his church. What we have are accounts of his teachings. The earliest ones, Paul, are written by a man who by his own admission never knew Jesus in life and whom broke with the traditions that Jesus had established. We also know that Paul's teachings conflicted with those of James, Jesus' brother.

The four gospels were written generations after Jesus, and they contradict eachother. It would be irrational and foolish to take them as unquestionable and perfect

Furthermore, when we know that Jesus and the first generation were Jews, raised in that tradition, we know that you can not interpret sacred writings in that manner, as that is not how they are interpreted in Jewish tradition and that Jesus and his first generation followers would have never accepted them in that form
    You mean that Paul's were the earliest DIRECT writings.
    Contridictions in the gospels are interpretative.
    Where is the info that James and Paul's teachings conflicted with one another?

The whole thing is a farce...

*puts on flamesuit*

we forget that jesus was a radical jew.
    there are scholars that claim jesus was a desicple of john the baptist before he broke off and formed his own sect. also the majority of jesus's first follower's came from john's sect.

organized christianity came much later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

The Pope is only considered infallible in matters of scripture.

I'm not sure sure that everything the pope is doing is 'evil' oooh, the Pope has brought back the old mass. While a lot of garbage has been done in the name of the church, so too has a great deal of good - and in our current age we seem to focus only on the bad parts (and often are badly misinformed and react strongly to things that weren't always so.).

The pope is following a strategy to bring back the hardcore believers back to the fold, and to reincorporate splinter groups - all they have to do is recognize the reforms of Vatican 2 and they can continue the old traditions. He is shoring up his base in a world where killing our own children is a 'choice.'

I look at the Catholic church as an ally in emphasizing morality in a society where anything goes to a point where human life is devalued and personal liberty is eroded. Nothing is perfect, especially human organizations - and frankly ALL big Christian churches feel they have the 'lock' on the truth.

for fun, look up the sedevacantists... whoo boy.

FYI... religous studies is an old hobby of mine. All religions, all cultures. It's better than MTV.
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

Acceptance, not alienation, brings people "back into the fold".
    Tolerance and love, brings people back into the fold.
    hardcore beleivers will believe what they want, how they want, period.

Morality is a tricky slope, hard to preach morals when you are corrupt.

Guiding people to faith is one thing, threating them to it is another.

You mean that Paul's were the earliest DIRECT writings.
    Contridictions in the gospels are interpretative.
    Where is the info that James and Paul's teachings conflicted with one another?
    There are MANY contradictions, I'll give you a reading list by respected scholars but start with "Misquoting Jesus" which is a current book on the subject

James considered himself and all of Jesus followers JEWS. They had to be circumcized (sp?) and they had to follow the law of Moses, ie they had to be Kosher, they had to make sacrifices at the temple, etc

Paul rejected this, he preached to the gentiles, while remarkably remaining true to Judaism himself, read "Rabbi Paul" for example
    Last edited by lkfmdc; 07-11-2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: made mistake with author