Thread: Sicko

Sicko

This Documentary is going to get an Oscar i am almost sure of it. i Saw it on the 4th of July (fitting i think). I have to say i was extremely moved by it all,angered and saddened.
    I have always Liked Moore's Documentaries despite the rampant critisisms that he gets for doing them. Unlike the others he has done which seems to sway more to the liberal and independant side of the spectrum, it would seem that this new film tries to unify the political spectrums and get the message out there that BOTH sides of the political fence are being screwed royally by the private healthcare system in this country.(although it would seem that the repubs in the high up in government seem to help the insurance companies along,but hey even hillary clinton,who was once an enemy of the health insurance companies sold out to them, just goes to show you that even a democrat has his/her price to keep their mouth shut )
    I would think that as Martial artists and those of us who risk getting injured because of training and sparring and competing that it would be prudent for all of US to have a universal healthcare system so that we wouldnt have to pay out the a$$ to get medical attention should we need it. OR to get rejected by the healthcare providers because we sap more money out of their pockets because we engage in activities that are a physical health risk and therefore would cause
    these privatized insurance companies to spend more money.

Sure we would have to pay higher taxes so that we could have this system of healthcare as WELL AS other things like College education etc etc. i wouldnt see a problem with doing so. Okay so there are some hitches and flaws to the system that other countries seem to have adopted. well let me ask you, are we as a country so perfect and is our system of healthcare flawless? I think NOT. There are always flaws in any plan and the GOAL i would think is to work on those flws so that all can benefit. we are supposed to be the greatest country in the world with freedoms that supposedly other countries do not have, yet are we really free? or do we just think we are because we have a constitution that guarantees our right to speak freely? Seems as though our "Freedoms" are just as conditional as the freedoms that other countries have as well.
    I am troubled on many different levels at seeing this movie and looking at this issue finally, ive been so wrapped up in being anti-war and against the neo-conservative friendly fascist party that is running our country into the ground that i havent stopped to look at my OWN HEALTH and what would befall me if i were to really get sick. I pride myself in the health that i already have. I have done alot to maintain my health, good diet, excersise and training(running and such), Drinking green tea and getting and giving massages to keep the muscles stimulated and fresh. I wonder though, being a person who doesnt have health insurance who cant really afford a trip to the doctor, if i were to really get sick, and i mean really get sick, i would either be in so much debt that i would become homeless or i would be refused healthcare and have to deal with possibly dying of whatever ailment i have that could be easily treated.
    The Rich would pay higher taxes correct? well SO WHAT? If you are being taxed based on your means to pay it and you are rich and like most wealthy you overspend and luxurize your life, then i think you as a wealthy american who apparantly Loves your country and people that you could pay into a system that would help to provide YOURSELF and your fellow citizens decent health care. Its not like you would be giving away all your wealth to the poor, you are just paying into a system that you yourself could benefit from.
    You know maybe it is not so rosey and grand as i think it would be, but you know something people, it would be a HELL OF A LOT BETTER than what we have now.

i apologize for rambling like this, i needed to get this out of my head and express it. I felt that here in this community of people on this forum would be a good place for me to get it out of my system. I know there will be those who will have the other viewpoint and express it here,if they so wish, it is welcomed and awaited.
    I hope that many go see this film, If the Neo-cons and repubs who dont like Moore can put aside that hatred for a moment and see this movie from a purely Health and human perspective,then i think you guys too can be moved like i was putting aside my independant/liberal bias that most neo-cons think that we have.

Peace and GOOD HEALTH to all of you, TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2004/...i_death_01.htm

If you think SiCKO was bad...check this out. It's a large amount of peer reviewed studies by doctors showing that above cancer and heart disease, the US medical system is actually the leading cause of death. And no one can say "Oh but that's just cut to make it look that way." etc.

Blog Entries
    Just saw it. Regardless of how much anyone hates Michael Moore, this should be watched.
    It cuts across political lines. Even Fox News praised it!

Most people kind of already know that the American health care system is jacked up. But can it be fixed is the bigger question. I don't believe it can be fixed. I think America is too proud to have any sort of system even remotely resembling Socialized Medicine...even though safety (police and firefighters) and education (public schools) are socialized concepts here.

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Sicko was good at pulling emotional heart-strings. The facts of the film left something to be desired.

Let me start by saying that I have a couple of family members working in healthcare (haven't seen the movie yet, I couldn't find a theater playing it around here) and I for one was discouraged from pursuing the medical field. They told me doctors don't really practice medicine here to help people. General Practicioners have to be quick and perform to certain standards of efficency (meaning they don't really care about you or spend time to be thorough). That was from a family member that recommended that I should study in India if I wanted to help people as a doctor.

Pharmaceuticals and drug development, the test groups are so skewed by "business luncheons" and other junk that they skew results to make them appear to work better than they do. Drugs aren't even developed to cure, rather alleviate/fix is the better approach to make drugs for money. That was from an aunt that is a psychiatrist that had to arrange beneficial case studies for new anti-depressant drugs.

I don't know, even a nationalized healthcare system in a country of this size (speaking from a US perspective) would fail as developing effective programs of accountability would be hard. I don't know what to do about healthcare, I just hope I don't have to undergo major surgery anytime soon.
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"