View Poll Results: What contact level is displayed in the clip?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Light

2 5.00%
  • Light-Medium

2 5.00%
  • Medium

4 10.00%
  • Medium-Hard

13 32.50%
  • Hard

14 35.00%
  • Full

5 12.50%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: waht contact level would you call this?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

waht contact level would you call this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IkC35VbWGvw

it's the clip from the taikiwhatever vs. kyokoshinkai. I don't really care about the supposed fight from a style sense but am curious as to what others think the contact level would compare as.

I voted already
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Good poll idea Oso. In my book, if you are getting hard enough to fall to the ground, then its hard contact. Maybe not in others though?
    -Golden Arms-

There is that. That's also the fact one of them ended up with a bloody nose, but that could have been caused by something else after they landed and not during the take down or before. I'd say medium to hard, but it looked like those guys were going for quantity of hits and kicks and not quality, even if you say this was frinedly sparring. With friendly sparring, you shouldn't be throwing your fists and feet out like they were. It looked sloppy.

Did they switch off after that one guy got a bloody nose early on? I'm not sure. Also near the end, what was that style that one guy was doing with his hands ahead of himself, but the palms were facing down? I'm not that familiar with the animal styles of waijia. My first thought was mantis, but then, I thought it could have been something like lion or maybe a tiger, but I don't know.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I voted medium-hard, going by the first fight. I saw medium hard kicks and punches to the body, and possibly controlled to the head. Really hard to say. Nothing was clean and it was pretty dark. I also have to say, as the vid went on, it looked worse and worse. Try to find a better example.

Smile

Danger level: 9 (minimal protective gear and no mat)

Contact level: 7 (since there is no small joint manipulation groinshots, eye gouging, etc)

Intensity level: 6 (since limited clinching allowed and no ground range)

competitive level * : 10 (both sides/style really wanted to do the other side in)

Reality level: 4 (too stylisted not quite resembling actually street condition)

-------------------------

* A.K.A animosity level.

Challenge scale averages: 7.2

Challenge scale with value from 0-10

0=nothing at all
    1=very easy
    2=easy
    3=moderate
    4=somewhat hard
    5=hard
    6=very hard
    7=intense (bloody)
    8=uncomfortably intense (miming)
    9=extremely intense (potentially long term injury)
    10=dangerously intense (potentially fatal)

Mantis108
    Last edited by mantis108; 06-15-2007 at 05:28 PM.
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mantis108 View Post
    Danger level: 9 (minimal protective gear and no mat)

Contact level: 7 (since there is no small joint manipulation groinshots, eye gouging, etc)

Intensity level: 6 (since limited clinching allowed and no ground range)

competitive level * : 10 (both sides/style really wanted to do the other side in)

Reality level: 4 (too stylisted not quite resembling actually street condition)

-------------------------

* A.K.A animosity level.

Challenge scale averages: 7.2

Challenge scale with value from 0-10

0=nothing at all
    1=very easy
    2=easy
    3=moderate
    4=somewhat hard
    5=hard
    6=very hard
    7=intense (bloody)
    8=uncomfortably intense (miming)
    9=extremely intense (potentially long term injury)
    10=dangerously intense (potentially fatal)

Mantis108
    Excellent assessment!

Not that it takes away from your post, but "contact" as you defined it is different then the way I normally see the word used.

mantis108: good breakdown but more analytical than I tend to get.

I voted medium-hard but only because of intent. I think they were trying to hit each other hard but the generally poor skill/technique level inhibited their power.

I don't think it was a great example (though not a terrible one) of fighting but I do think it is a good enough example to make a contact level comparison with what each of us does in our schools.

FTR, in my school as compared to this, we have two levels. One that is lighter than this with an attempt to resemble the 'style' we are doing and one that is harder where affect is more important.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

without gear, my vote is for dumb contact.

medium contact
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

That was full contact. Hard to tell, but it might have been open hand shots to the head & face.

As far as intent, it was definitely there... especially in the first fight and in the other clip (T vs. K #3). In the #3 clip, the Kyokushin fighter got rocked with about four shots to the face.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 06-15-2007 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    That was full contact. Hard to tell, but it might have been open hand shots to the head & face.

As far as intent, it was definitely there... especially in the first fight and in the other clip (T vs. K #3). In the #3 clip, the Kyokushin fighter got rocked with about four shots to the face.
    ya, in the 3rd vid, at :19 its definately open hand to the face
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

What are the distinctions on this thread regarding the 'Hard' and 'Full' contact?
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

MK, agreed but that's not part of the point.

PQ, there aren't any intended.

I didn't see any BJJ OR Muay Tai Round Kicks, so this must have been light contact point sparring.