Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Throws for MMA

Throws for MMA

What throws do you all think are the most efficiective for mma?

I like Seio Naga most all of the throws that Karo Parisyan does.
    "Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."-Psalms 144:1

"I Am The Punishment Of God, If You Had Not Committed Great Sins, God Would Not Have Sent A Punishment Like Me Upon You"-Genghis Khan

"The light of the eyes is a comet, And ones' activity is as lightning, The sword that kills the man; is the sword that saves the man"

Whatever works against who you are fighting. I am a fan of the wizzer. It works and its name make me chuckle.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

without a gi, any type of body or headlock throws, pick ups, and trips.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    bearhug lift and dumps

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Karo Parisyian has some wicked throws. I can't remember the Judo name for it, but in Combat Shuai Chiao it's called Pulling. It's his bread and butter and always impresses.

Too bad he's fallen off the horse....

Damian Maia has an impressive throw or two. His last fight against Chael Sonnen had an impressive throw into a Kimura. That guy is going places....
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Karo stopped training with Gokor and Judo Gene from what i understand. That could be the reason he's not doing as well lately?!?!?!?!?
    "Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."-Psalms 144:1

"I Am The Punishment Of God, If You Had Not Committed Great Sins, God Would Not Have Sent A Punishment Like Me Upon You"-Genghis Khan

"The light of the eyes is a comet, And ones' activity is as lightning, The sword that kills the man; is the sword that saves the man"

In MMA, head-and-arm/headlocks have the danger when you hit the ground of them taking your back. IE they can be used, but are lower on the list of prefered methods

IMO: sags, outer reaping, whizzers, singles, doubles, snap downs - not necessarily in that order
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Here's what I've had happen to me:

Double/Single: End in guard.
    Seoi-Nage/Head and arm/tai-otoshi: have back taken if you fail and can't return to a good position (more BJJ with a Gi but still...)
    Fireman: crucifix!

The most important thing is to land in a good position and execute the throw 100% committed. I like doubles into side control and seoi nage into side control or knee on belly (for BJJ with a gi more so).
    A unique snowflake

------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Quote Originally Posted by WinterPalm View Post
    Here's what I've had happen to me:

Double/Single: End in guard.

the answers to this are (in no particular order); turning the corner, leg control, driving, shoulder pressure adn staying on the balls of your feet
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    the answers to this are (in no particular order); turning the corner, leg control, driving, shoulder pressure adn staying on the balls of your feet
    Thanks!

The straight forward double leg does lead to being in guard a lot...
    I actually prefer the outside single which ends up putting me in half guard if at all.
    A unique snowflake

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I have had moderate success with the Judo style double leg ...IE ... football tackle. If you do it from a smart distance (pummel range), and watch out for the guillotine.. it works allot. I think I just surprise people more than anything else. If I do get stuck in someone's guard at that point I'm passing fast.. I hug the knees so its hard to lock a good guard.

I personally think that throws without the gi require a large amount of skill. leg sweeps on the other hand, I believe are amazingly simple to mix with boxing/striking. If you lookup the few Judokas that fought in the WEC you will see what I'm talking about.

Throws work VERY well when countering thai plum style clinch.. but so do sweeps.

Thanks!

The straight forward double leg does lead to being in guard a lot...
    I actually prefer the outside single which ends up putting me in half guard if at all.
    I have been doing singles allot lately.. but they take so much effort.. How do you end up in half guard??

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    I have been doing singles allot lately.. but they take so much effort.. How do you end up in half guard??
    I usually do an outside single leg and when we hit down a couple guys will get into half guard.
    Yesterday during MMA sparring I got triangled immediately after the takedown. Truth be told I'm not used to continuing fighting from standup...San Shou habits I suppose which is why I like to mix the striking/takedown element with the ground fighting.
    A unique snowflake

I usually do an outside single leg and when we hit down a couple guys will get into half guard.
    Yesterday during MMA sparring I got triangled immediately after the takedown. Truth be told I'm not used to continuing fighting from standup...San Shou habits I suppose which is why I like to mix the striking/takedown element with the ground fighting.
    I guess my question wasn't that specific. How are you doing the single and how are you finishing it. Just guessing but are you just driving forward into their halfguard?? Is looking more like a football tackle with one leg?? Have you tried pushing the leg to the side as you fall while driving your shoulder into him? I do my single legs a specific way, (when I can pull them off). but Most of the time I just go with it, and I rarely fail once I have your leg. If your hugging ,driving, keeping a good base ect.. I don't see how you can fall into his halfguard.
    I always try to go to the outside of his leg.

are you doing more of a wrestlers single? running the pipe or something?