Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Tim Allen tops Mamet's 'Redbelt'

Did MK and s_r kiss and make up or what?

The Mamet factor is huge for this film. I'm surprised no one here has commented on it. Perhaps if I move it to the media forum, we'll have more cinemaphiles who can speak to that.

My understanding now is that Redbelt will have a limited release on May 2 (LA & NY) and a national release on May 9.

Legendary Director Mamet Takes on Mixed Martial Arts in ‘Redbelt’
    Mixed martial arts a kick for Mamet
    By Michelle Foody

HOLLYWOOD, CA (Hollywood Today) 4/24/08 — David Mamet is back. For his upcoming film, the legendary writer/director will tackle a brand new subject, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, using clichéd cinematic genres as his training ground: the classic under-dog fight movie, the samurai film, and the spaghetti western. Sure sounds different, and boy, is it. “Redbelt”, opening on May 2nd, follows an honor-bound Jiu-jitsu master sucked into the nasty worlds of Hollywood and mixed martial arts (MMA) prize fighting, simultaneously.

Mamet didn’t pick these fighting techniques merely because MMA happens to be the fastest growing sport, having eclipsed boxing and spreading like wildfire among the young, male demographic. No, Mamet himself has been practicing the art of jiu-jitsu, a philosophy as well as a fight style, for over 5 years. But the writer/director (“Wag the Dog”, “Heist”, “Spartan”, etc.) stressed that “Redbelt” “is not a martial arts movie”. Instead, he insists: “The movie is about a guy who doesn’t train fighters to compete, but he trains fighters to prevail… He is forced to participate in a competition and therefore he puts aside that ‘vow of poverty’, or higher calling.”

Curious to hear about being directed by the Pulitzer Prize winner and Oscar-nominee, using Mamet’s own screenplay, Hollywood Today sat down with five members of the film’s eclectic cast: English actors Chiwetel Ejiofor and Emily Mortimer, Brazilians Alice Braga and Bruno Silva, and boxers-turned-actors Ray “Boom-Boom” Mancini and Randy Couture.

Despite their varied backgrounds, from indie films to light weight knockouts, these actors all expressed a shared reason for tackling “Redbelt”: the opportunity to take on a Mamet movie.

“As soon as I knew that David was about to send me the script, I was pretty excited about it. I’m a huge fan of his work. I couldn’t imagine anything he’d send me that I’d turn down,” insisted Ejiofor, taking on the lead role, and all its physical demands, with gusto. And this is quite high praise, considering Ejiofor is no stranger to name directors, having worked on “Amistad” (Spielberg), “Inside Man” (Spike Lee) and “American Gangster” (Ridley Scott), to name a few.

His take on Mamet?

“He was much gentler than I’d thought he’d be, as a person”, laughed Ejiofor, himself a very charming and soft-spoken man.

Co-star Emily Mortimer compared Mamet to Woody Allen, her director for “Match Point” and also had only words of praise to share with Hollywood Today.

“I’ve found that working with these great directors, they have a confidence, which they bring to the set. You think it’ll be extremely exacting but it was actually quite easy-going”, the actress insisted. “David really created a part that was attractive to play as a woman actor, a woman who is both strong and who is also on the edge of sanity, almost having a nervous breakdown. You don’t often get to portray both of those in one part, especially as a woman.”

“Redbelt” features two complicated female characters, probably the most multi-faceted players in a film fixated on physical strength and masculinity. Besides Mortimer, there is also the protagonist’s wildcard wife, Sondra, played by Alice Braga. It’s extra unusual, as Mamet is not known for writing for, or about, women.

“I like the idea of portraying someone who you don’t know if they’re good or bad,” Braga told Hollywood Today. “She’s just struggling to live life. And to get what she wants.”

Rounding out this cast of characters are two real-life fighters, now duking it out for roles in Hollywood: Boom-Boom Mancini and Randy Couture.

“Dave Mamet is my Shakespeare. He read from the rhythm of the street, I’m a kid from the street, so I understand that. He’s a wonderful guy, he’s an “in your face” type of guy,” Mancini explained, his speech as fast as his jab. “When he said he was writing this particular character for me, I was very honored. Every actor wants to read David Mamet’s words.”

For his part, Mamet doesn’t make casting selections lightly.

“Casting’s more than really key, it’s the whole movie”, said Mamet. “If they can’t act or they’re the wrong person, you ain’t got nothing. It all comes down to casting”.

Brazilian actor Bruno Silva was shocked to find Mamet actually in the room when he auditioned: “Usually you read with a casting director, but David was doing the auditions himself. So I thought, well, at least I’ll get to meet him”.

So now only one question remains, for a movie dealing with both prizefights and Hollywood: What’s harder, fighting or movie-making?

“I tell people, I think fighting is easier. I get in that ring, lose or win, it’s in my hands. This [film] business, very little is in your hands. And there is something honest about fighting; I’m pitting myself against another man. Though the camera don’t punch back, the worse thing that can happen? Take 2. That ain’t so bad,” Boom Boom Mancini explained. “But acting is like fighting, when its good its good, when it stinks, it stinks.”

When “Redbelt” opens on May 2nd, we will find out if Mamet has another knockout up his sleeve.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Did MK and s_r kiss and make up or what?
    Grappling is all about harmony
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Grappling is all about harmony

Harmony !
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    ROTFLMAO !!!1

I knew you MMA peeps were that way.

I guess they did more than kiss.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

the tradition continues,
    not that there's anything wrong with that,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzdT-kerHac
    Robert James
    5th Gen. Bak Hsing Kwoon
    bakhsingkwoon@gmail.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SatoriScience
    "Whip the pole like the dragon whips its tail. Punches are like a tiger sticking out its head!"

Just keep the eye contact to a minimum.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Redbelt - the limited release opens today

So we'd thought we'd get the jump on it all and post our exclusive e-zine review. Check out REDBELT – David Mamet's Passionate Fight Film Homage by Dr. Craig Reid. Redbelt opens nationally next week, but we just might have another exclusive for a different film in the queue for then.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Randy Couture, a world-class professional MMA fighter who has a sports commentator role in the film, was not originally sold on its underlying theme. "Mixed martial arts is a mixed sport," Couture says, "and no matter what sports background you come from or what martial art you practice, MMA showed us that there is no one style of martial arts that encompasses everything that could potentially happen in a fight. And it is about fighting.
    Worth the whole article.

After reading that article I am actually going to see this movie.
    It touches home to me on a few different levels.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    After reading that article I am actually going to see this movie.
    It touches home to me on a few different levels.
    I agree. I liked the Karate Kid...good moral lessons...good guy wins..yah know?

Going to check this one out.
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

Anyone seen the TV trailer for this? Looks average at best, but I saw Ropert and another guy review it on channel 3. They said it's quite good. Sounds like a real David Mamet movie. They don't even mention the action, but I will definitely check it out for myself.
    Last edited by jethro; 05-03-2008 at 10:53 PM.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

another review

It's going to have a tough go up against Speed Racer this week. Mamet fans seem to balk at the notion of a martial arts film. MMA fans don't seem to know who Mamet is. I've got a pretty tight schedule over the next few weeks, so I probably won't be able to check it out for some time.

Intense actor finds right script in Mamet martial arts film
    Chiwetel Ejiofor matches his disciplined acting to ju-jitsu movie "Redbelt"
    Sunday, May 04, 2008
    MIKE RUSSELL
    Special to The Oregonian

Since his Hollywood debut (in 1997's "Amistad"), the only common thread in Chiwetel Ejiofor's performances has been that they're electrifying -- whether he's playing a Nigerian refugee ("Dirty Pretty Things"), a drag queen ("Kinky Boots"), a space-faring samurai ("Serenity") or (as he did recently on the London stage) Othello.

In "Redbelt," the latest offering from writer/director David Mamet, Ejiofor keeps up his habit of never assuming the same role twice. The British actor plays Mike Terry, an American master of Brazilian ju-jitsu. Mike is a quiet, principled self-defense instructor who refuses to sell out his martial art, testing the patience of his breadwinner wife (Alice Braga) -- until a series of misfortunes force him to compete in the world of professional mixed martial arts.

That's right: David Mamet just made a martial-arts movie.

"Redbelt," which opens Friday in Portland, is a strange blend. It mixes Mamet's vivid, specific dialogue (and his love of elaborate con games and male honor codes) with authentic-looking bouts of ju-jitsu. It's performed by an equally strange cast -- one that includes such Mamet regulars as Ricky Jay and Joe Mantegna, Tim Allen as a drunk action-movie star, and real, weather-faced fighters Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini and Portland's own MMA legend Randy Couture.

Ejiofor anchors it all with a quiet performance punctuated with moments of perfectly understated, graceful violence -- moments that look just brutal to learn and choreograph.

The Oregonian talked with Ejiofor about Mamet, martial arts and the chances that we'll see his glowingly reviewed Othello on these shores any time soon. An edited transcript follows.

When I heard Randy Couture was going to be in a David Mamet film, the world seemed like a very strange place.

I was thrilled he was part of the movie. When I was first looking at ju-jitsu and the fighting world for the film, his documentary ("Fighter -- A Documentary," from 2006) was one of the first things I looked at. It's a fascinating insight into the world of a fighter. He's a great ambassador for the sport.

But it is a strange mix. But I suppose, in a sense, as soon as one accepts that David's doing a movie about the ju-jitsu world, it sort of settles the mind to know that Randy's going to be in it, somehow.

I've heard that Mamet runs a really low-key set, but that he also has specific ideas on the cadence of lines and how they're said. Are both true? Neither?

I think they're both true -- the former more than the latter. The cast and crew are regular people he's worked with for a long time, so there's a real family there. That was a massive part of me being comfortable to explore the work as well as I could. And David was very supportive of that -- there wasn't any sense of being finger-wagged or being instructed to say lines in a certain way. I was glad of that.

He was a terrific director -- and a director who seemed completely unaware of the leanings and desires of the writer. He was alive to nuances and what would happen on the day.

How did you mix with the usual David Mamet ensemble?

Joe Mantegna, Ricky Jay, David Paymer -- when I'm watching them in movies, I can't take my eyes off them. They've worked the craft of screen acting to this extraordinary degree. I was able to sort of talk to them about performances of theirs without trying to embarrass them.

Mamet is fascinated by the art of the con. How does it relate to the art of acting?

I don't know if it does. Acting is, in some ways, an attempt to not be duplicitous at all. It's an attempt to tell the truth, through oneself and the character you're playing.

Obviously, there's an element of pretending. But it's not pretending in the sense that you're trying to fool somebody. You're trying to present something as well as you can in order to get someone to believe the narrative and the story.

You've worked with writer/directors with really specific writing voices, including Mamet and Joss Whedon. Are they in any way similar?

They're similar in the sense that they're able to tap into choices for an actor that aren't obvious. That is something that Joss does incredibly well, and David also: They produce moments that surprise the performer.

"Redbelt" seems fascinated by the price of purity. You've described your ju-jitsu training as "a world where every piece of food and every bit of exercise, every moment of the day, was designed to get the optimum performance out of my body." Have you retained any of that? Or are you just glad it's over?

Well, I'm not glad it's over -- but I'd be lying to say that I'm still in the middle of that particular war. It would have been nice to have taken away everything, but there are just traces left behind.

"Redbelt's" fight scenes feel authentic. There's not that pumped-up framing and choreography you might expect in a mixed-martial-arts film.

I only trained for a few months -- which in martial arts is a very, very short space of time. But I had the great fortune to train with some of the great practitioners in the world, in one-on-one contact every day. So I was able to learn quite a lot in a short period of time.

The first month, you were really learning the basics and getting the ground rules down as much as possible. The next month would be finding ways of formulating the language into the specific fights we were going to have in the movie. The third month -- which crossed into the beginning of filming -- was really finessing them, so they felt like ju-jitsu fights.

What does a Brazilian ju-jitsu master teach you besides how to fight?

It's a lifestyle thing, I suppose. It's like learning a language -- once you've learned the basic moves of ju-jitsu, then it's all about interpretation and creativity. It's like becoming a great orator -- there's alchemy involved. And there's a sense that if you apply your life to it, then it rewards you both inside and outside the ring. People who live the life find that they are able to speak the language both physically and emotionally. "Redbelt" opens May 9 in Portland.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

In limited release, David Mamet's martial-arts drama "Redbelt" opened solidly with $68,646 in six theatres. Released by Sony Pictures Classics, "Redbelt" stars Chiwetel Ejiofor as an honourable instructor caught up in corruption in the world of mixed martial-arts competitions.

From Canoe.ca.

at the SF International Film Fest

I read in the paper today that Mamet will be at tonight's showing at SFIFF. Too bad I'm busy tonight.

Mamet's new film, Redbelt, showing at the SF International Film Fest
    By J. Hoberman
    Published: April 30, 2008

Details:
    Rated R. Tue., May 6, at the Sundance Kabuki, as part of the S.F. International Film Festival; from Fri., May 9, at the Embarcadero.
    Subject(s): J. Hoberman on Redbelt

David Mamet's Redbelt is a tricky bar brawl — call it Roundhouse of Games. The writer-director has scarcely abandoned his sense of the movies as an innately duplicitous medium, one best suited to stories that play out as conspiratorial chess matches. But with his 10th feature — an entertaining tale of high-stakes martial arts — Mamet has infused the sleight of hand with a measure of two-fisted action.

Understatement is not part of the mix. The rhythm of the rain mixes with the rhythm of the drill as honorable instructor Mike Terry (Chiwetel Ejiofor), an exponent of Brazilian jujitsu, teaches his prize pupil, a cop named Joe (Max Martini), how to fight with one hand bound: "There is no situation from which you cannot escape." This assertive credo makes Mike a promising Mamet-movie protagonist; that the instructor's pedagogical style is a nonstop torrent of hectoring advice mixed with color commentary suggests the filmmaker's own faith in the power of language. (One of the most truculent literary figures to strut the American stage, Mamet may lack Norman Mailer's intellectual brawn, but he suffers no deficiency of bluster.)

Still, as played by Ejiofor, Mike is open, straightforward, and almost sweet — a natural victim. His business is going broke, but he's the calmest guy in the room, if not the most honest person on the entire planet. His modest storefront academy, which also houses a fabric business belonging to wife Sondra (Alice Braga), is an outpost of Zen clarity illuminating a bleak stretch of asphalt somewhere in West Los Angeles. Reality intrudes when an apparent junkie, Laura (Emily Mortimer) — driving through a monsoon menace looking for a drugstore to fill her dubious prescription — dents Mike's parked car. Hysterically bursting into his dojo to apologize, she further freaks upon seeing the cop and, through some arcane form of movie magic, manages to fire his gun through the academy's plate-glass window.

As illogically as this incident plays, it encapsulates the bizarre laws of cause and effect or action and reaction that govern the movie's universe — everyone is at seeming cross-purposes until the final score-settling. Another bait-and-switch caper occurs when Mike visits his brother-in-law's bar to get a bouncer pal some owed back pay and finds himself intervening in a fight to protect a big-time movie star (Tim Allen) out for a night of carousing ... perhaps.

Mike and Sondra are subsequently invited to dine at the star's mansion. You need only a rudimentary familiarity with Mametian paranoia to sense that these suspiciously grateful swells are fitting them for some sort of noose. The Hollywood conspiracy is clinched the next day when Mike visits the set of the star's new movie, nothing less than a re-creation of Operation Desert Storm produced by the sinister Jerry Weiss (Mamet axiom Joe Mantegna). Somehow, they're thinking of bringing on Mike as an executive producer. But is it all a plot to force the honest samurai — who has hitherto been too pure to fight competitively — into the ring?

Cinema is a technology of deceit: No good deed goes unpunished; no bright idea remains unripped-off; no one can be trusted. The movie, however, wears its honesty on its sleeve. As a director, Mamet favors unambiguous close-ups and uncluttered interiors; baddies frequent sleek offices, and chaos comes from rainy nights. Neither oppressive nor subtle in its symmetries, Redbelt is a cleanly constructed piece of work. The climactic fight scenes are notable less for their competent orchestration and stolidly ritualized weirdness than for their principled opposition to the Hong Kong high-jinks of the past two decades.

In press notes so long, detailed, and repetitive they could only have been supervised by Mamet himself, the filmmaker is identified as a longtime student of, and purple belt in, jujitsu. Thus, Redbelt is a personal statement, as well as a sort of naturalized kung fu Western and revisionist Popular Front boxing drama. There's a hint of Golden Boy (the fighter's innate sensitivity), a few allusions to The Set-Up (his desperation, the tawdriness of his final bout), and a line ("Everybody dies") ostentatiously swiped from the quintessential John Garfield flick, Body and Soul — if here contemptuously given to the evil producer.

Like the left-wing, largely Jewish writers of the 1930s and '40s, Mamet identifies with the situation of a solitary fighter trapped by a corrupt system. In his case, however, the system isn't capitalism so much as show business. Therein lies a paradox — Mamet attacks showbiz while surrendering to it. The tenets of Brazilian jujitsu may argue that there's no trap that cannot be escaped, but the rules of American entertainment insist on it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips