Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ussd claim they teach shaolin

Sorry for my ignorance as my web fu is pretty rusty. What is USSD?

Since I have nothing really relevant to say on the topic, afterall I don't even know what USSD stands for, I'm just kinda throwing out things to a bunch of various topics in the thread.

Shaolin is based on Chan first and foremost. Shaolin based kung fu then in turn being a system of defense utilises that same religious/philosophical background. Chan being about self discipline and all that jazz, the horse stance training and conditioning and stuff that tattooedmonk said kinda follows right up in that line. Isn't kinda funny though that Shaolin has embraced the "fluff" of its own name in recent years. Isn't Chan about stripping away excess in route to personal development? I mean, I'm glad those guys finally got things like ummm, plumbing and all. But I thought all that other material stuff was kinda the whole problem that Tamo original scoffed at some 1500 years ago and started this whole Shaolin thing to begin with?

I do have to agree with the monk though; Gi's, belts and all that stuff doesn't make the art. If you really wanna get down to it, that whole orange shaolin suit thing that all the monks wore was just a uniform like any other. They all wore the same clothes, yeah I know they had that grey one too, at least they do for sell here And they all had the same haircut. But that just went along with the whole removing the individual self which aided in the transition of the material world to a state which could lead to personal mastery. You know how in the movies they have the guy at the altar getting his head shaved and they rename him and all that

Heck I usually just train in a ratty old shirt. And I hate wearing my sash. The only time I'm in "uniform" is on those occassions I meet my sifu at the kwoon. Usually when I'm with my friends though we are out in the yard wearing whatever. To quote that cheesy old movie Sidekicks, " No need Gi to break brick." I can see though why a lot of school use the Gi's now though, it does stand up much better when training throws and Chi' na type things.

The only thing that seperates kung fu as a martial art from other arts is the way in which it applies its use. All realistic MA are just different routes to the same end. Kung Fu, and TCMA as a whole are just one of them. And since TCMA are so broad even to define itself is impossible. The lines aren't so black and white. The only real noticable difference is that TCMA in general apply more circular force than the other Asian arts (though that's not all exclusive) and the one other thing is that it is also so linked with medical application. The old masters realised that in their times, just like in present day. One is much more likely do die of old age or illness than by a physical assault. So kung fu in general, places a lot more emphasis on physical development that the TJMA and Korean arts. Do those other guys PT too? Sure. But its not really placed within the curriculum so much.

You know one interesting thing. When I used to live in Okinawa and watch the old guys doing karate. There were a couple styles (Shohei Ryu is the only one I learned the name of) which really does still have a lot of kung fu flavor. The footwork is a bit more streamlined, a lot of emphasis on 3 stances (horse stance, forward stance and that weird karate not horse stance but not pok ma). But the hand technique was very much the same. They had the tiger and mantis and all that jazz going on. It was very interesting. I wish I could have spoken to the guy about the apps and stuff but well, my Japanese just wasn't that good and I didn't want to offend the guy, just walking up out of the blue and asking him about his MA.

Ummm...hmmm...the only other thing I can think of...Kung Fu masters were not killers as TT put it. Though they weren't all the scholars either. They were just people. They were farmers, doctors, soldiers, cops, religious leaders...a lot like everyone today. The only difference is that they took their training a lot more seriously. Cuz well that's how people fought back then. Kung fu might have been a lot different if guns were invented 300 years sooner or so... But to say that they were deadly perfected killers is just as much an exaggeration as to say they were all divine beings that could float on clouds and played flutes all day. They were human. Skinny, fat, tall, short...they got happy, mad, jelous, apathetic just like the rest of us. Not to debunk anyones faith in the art or anything. If anything I would hope it refocuses you. Those guys got so good but yet they were just human. There is no reason why with the same effort anyone here couldn't be just as good. If anything people now days have more time to train. No one I know is waking up at 4:00 am to milk a cow and plant rice. People have a lot of excuses not to train now days. But work, kids, bills...these aren't new things, people 400 years ago had the same problems. And hey you aren't going to be hanged for bouncing a check

Anyways, what were we talking about? Oh yeah, what's USSD?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Aside from all the other BS, what does the uniform or belt system have to do with determining whether or not you do kung fu or karate or Shaolin or not?? many socalled TCMA schools have adopted belt / sash ranking systems, how does this make them any less traditional or authentic??

By the way most Japanese Karate comes from China. The original ideogram for Karate meant "china hand".
    Well to be honest with you the uniform or belt doesn't determine what "style
    you study. I just think it's rather comical to read about the "2nd degree black belt in shaolin kung fu"....especially when emphasis is placed on something that is totally useless in itself...lets say like a belt. Yeah Karate has roots from China but if you dissect karate from kung fu the fighting styles are totally different. Just because something originated from China doesn't necessarily mean "shaolin" should be painted all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by tatooedmonk
    Most of the people on this board have a no idea what true CMA or Kung Fu is. They get these ideas and images in their head from movies, media, and their instructors . Most people base their opinion on non intrinsic values( i.e. outward appearences , terminology, etc.) Why does any of this really matter ??

I have been doing Shaolin / Wudang arts for over 15 years and I can tell you that for application purposes all that flowery, soft crap that most of you do will get your @$$es handed to you in a real fight.

Shaolin and kung fu on the whole has been turned into just a form of exercise and performance art and has no true practical application. I often go to these so called traditional kung fu schools and watch them spar and practice application, it is a joke.

I am not a fan of USSD ,nor am I defending them, but some of you need to get a clue and get of your high horse, because before too long someone will come along and knock you off!!

And most likely it is going to be a MMA guy or someone from USSD.

Kung Fu ( martial arts) is for the intended effect, for the enemy or the opponent to be dispatched in the quickest , most efficient manner possible without any wasted time and effort.
    Right again, most people do not know what CMA or kung fu is. Reading from your comment, I think somewhere along your studies you have been mis informed. Not doubting your experiences/studies but to say you study shaolin / wudang is sort of a contradiction in itself. The "flowery stuff" you are referring to is called wushu, chang quan, long fist....etc. and is not necessarily shaolin kung fu. There are differences but a bit of research from the internet can provide the details rather than turn this into another shaoln wushu debate. Oh yeah before I forget dont wander into a fight thinking shaolin is a form of exercise and performance art and has no true practical applications....you may end up having your rear end handed to you in a fight...most likely from a shaolin guy or a wushu guy.

Let me try and clarify what I was trying to say. Often when the question "how does this or that make a style or art any less traditional or authentic?" makes me think where did tradition go in the martial arts? So often you read post after post from people who feel the need to learn martial arts to "incapacitate someone", extreme self defense or say to prove who has the best fighting style. Yes, martial arts was originated for fighting/combat purposes but to me that is barely the surface of martial arts. Martial arts has deeper roots with deeper meaning. People learn martial arts for many reasons not just fighting. Some do for health (Qi gong) and some even do for sports performance. Whether it be uniforms, lion dance teams, terminology, etc. they are all part of tradtion and culture. When you neglect traditions and culture for the almighty dollar you begin altering a particular style's tradition. That is why in my opinion I do not agree with the mixing of styles. Yeah sure the "ground and pound" is brutal, sells tickets, fighters make money but is that really martial arts?

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    Shaolin and Kung fu are based on philosophy, basic stance trainig and practical application, and not whether you use english , japanese or chinese terminology or whether you have belts , gis , lion dances or specific forms, all this simple does not matter does not matter.

Get a clue people and start living in reality.

Personallly I think that people should stop refering to CMA as Kung Fu because even if you practice another martial art and have put time and effort or hard work you still essentially practice Kung Fu.
    In case you missed it.....

Often when the question "how does this or that make a style or art any less traditional or authentic?" makes me think where did tradition go in the martial arts? So often you read post after post from people who feel the need to learn martial arts to "incapacitate someone", extreme self defense or say to prove who has the best fighting style. Yes, martial arts was originated for fighting/combat purposes but to me that is barely the surface of martial arts. Martial arts has deeper roots with deeper meaning. People learn martial arts for many reasons not just fighting. Some do for health (Qi gong) and some even do for sports performance. Whether it be uniforms, lion dance teams, terminology, etc. they are all part of tradtion and culture. When you neglect traditions and culture for the almighty dollar you begin altering a particular style's tradition. That is why in my opinion I do not agree with the mixing of styles. Yeah sure the "ground and pound" is brutal, sells tickets, fighters make money but is that really martial arts?

It may not mean anything to you but it may for others. Lets fast forward to the future. When you get old (and you will) and reach an "elder status" in life will you be still looking for that "fighters edge" in martial arts or will you be one of those that hangs up the martial arts? Sometimes you have to think of the future not just the present. That is reality.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    let me also add, "The flowery" innefective stuff? Have you ever asked yourself, if you were putting together techniques to pass down to save a human life on the battlefield, or wherever, where life and death hang in the balance, would you include "flowery, innefective movements" or movement for movement sake? Highly doubtful. Granted, there are styles that have devolved over time to include acrobatic opera movements, but these are few and far between. Simply put, it means that most people do not understand the movements and applications. It has been my experience, that the movements that appear to be the most "flowery and inneffective" end up being the most brutal.
    Just for fun, perform the following movements in the air; an imagined defense against a right lead-
    step in at a 45 angle,deflect the incomming attack with your left,and strike with your right to the face/eyes with an open palm/claw,immediately following with a left knifedge strike to the throat,which rips up over the face,grabbing the back of the head while the right chop/grabs the throat. or jaw. Snap the head back and then twist counterclockwise and down towards the ground. On an opponent, this is a fairly brutal, yet common movement seen in many systems-when "performed" in the air,in one continuous movement, it is quite beautiful-dainty almost. it is one application of twin butterfly palms. Very basic, and not considered a "higher level skill" but simply an example.
    In SPM, the skill,"Flower hands" is a higher level skill, and has only been passed down to a select few. The little I have seen is far more subtle, and much more brutal.
    just mty .02

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    -you should've stayed with Ralph Castro-he trained directly with Chow, alongside Ed Parker. You would've had something real.
    Yep. Unfortunately I moved to SoCal. There weren't any Castro schools there. He was not big on expansion. I did find a Kajukenbo school taught by Master Forbach, but at the time I was oblivious to its lineage. All I was able to find was Villari, which later became USSD.

And Master Ralph Castro does call his system Shaolin Kenpo (Shaolin Chuan Fa). One thing that was a bit difficult was all of the defensive techniques had actual names like "tiger walk the river" as oppose to USSD/Villari's numbered "kenpos" I kinda liked the simplified numbered system.
    Last edited by xcakid; 05-17-2007 at 07:00 AM.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Hey xcakid,

Have you trained with any of the shaolin monks in texas?

Quote Originally Posted by sk girl View Post
    Hey xcakid,

Have you trained with any of the shaolin monks in texas?
    No. I live in N TX(Dallas Area) and the ones that I know of are in central and south TX. I will be attending a seminar at Taiji Legacy this year which will have Shi Yan Feng. If I am not mistaken he has a school in Houston.

Really not many good KF schools(in my opinion) around my area. A few. GM Lee who teaches MyJong Lawhorn. He does contracts and I tend to shy away from schools that do contracts. GM Jimmy Woo who is with the US ChinWoo Fed. He is about 20miles from where I live, but his class schedule given his location kinda conflicts with mine. A Long Fist school opened up last Oct 2mile from my house and is on the way to and from the train station I use to commute. The sifu is quite good and really knows his stuff. Good background too.

I can count all the good KF schools he DFW on one hand.

We do have about 6 USSD schools though I went to one about a yr ago to check it out. Tried out a class and showed them my USSD black belt cert. The dude started pitching me on opening up a school and even called me a few times to follow up about it.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

um, no. They were killers, with mind and body honed to deadly perfection. But not a sage, not Kwai Chang Caine. Wake up Dorothy. Do some real research. Look up who the real CMAists were. Not the ones from the Chinese folk dramas.
    look dude, i asked a question. it was one that was requiring an answer...not a chastising.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    sorry Sensei,
    not chastising you ,personally. Just the idea that Shaolin Monks were the upright Buddhist sutra reciting icons we bought into from all the movies, books, and TV shows. Warrior Monks were warriors. Many did not take buddhist vows at all. Many lived on the grounds and shaved their heads, wore robes, but were actually in hiding from the Ching Govt.
    Certainly Not David Carradine,
    more like Chuck Zito, but with a shaved head.

wasnt there some deal also that you could escape prison time if you joined a temple/monestary?
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan View Post
    wasnt there some deal also that you could escape prison time if you joined a temple/monestary?
    I believe you can seek asylum.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    No. I live in N TX(Dallas Area) and the ones that I know of are in central and south TX. I will be attending a seminar at Taiji Legacy this year which will have Shi Yan Feng. If I am not mistaken he has a school in Houston.

Really not many good KF schools(in my opinion) around my area. A few. GM Lee who teaches MyJong Lawhorn. He does contracts and I tend to shy away from schools that do contracts. GM Jimmy Woo who is with the US ChinWoo Fed. He is about 20miles from where I live, but his class schedule given his location kinda conflicts with mine. A Long Fist school opened up last Oct 2mile from my house and is on the way to and from the train station I use to commute. The sifu is quite good and really knows his stuff. Good background too.

I can count all the good KF schools he DFW on one hand.

We do have about 6 USSD schools though I went to one about a yr ago to check it out. Tried out a class and showed them my USSD black belt cert. The dude started pitching me on opening up a school and even called me a few times to follow up about it.

Hey xcakid,
    I knew what you mean about ussd pitching you to open a school. Those ussd instructors are fat master Blacks students so they are totally brainwashed into ussd crappy thinking. They dont even know that there learning Villari kempo with no shaolin in it.
    USSD is the best join us and make no money. That sorta crappy thinking will get you no where.

There is a former villari instructor who went back to Cerio in dallas and he doesn't call his art shaolin kempo.
    www.dallaskenpo.com/instructors.html

Dr. Nick Chamberlain
    8th Degree Black Belt, Gasan Ryu Kenpo
    5th Degree Black Belt, Nick Cerio's Kenpo
    5th Degree Black Karazenpo Goshinjitsu
    3rd Degree Black Belt, Heike Ryu Jiu-Jitsu

It might be worth checking out.

If Jimmy Woo was in my area I'd check his class out.

Quote Originally Posted by sk girl View Post
    Hey xcakid,

There is a former villari instructor who went back to Cerio in dallas and he doesn't call his art shaolin kempo.
    www.dallaskenpo.com/instructors.html

Dr. Nick Chamberlain
    8th Degree Black Belt, Gasan Ryu Kenpo
    5th Degree Black Belt, Nick Cerio's Kenpo
    5th Degree Black Karazenpo Goshinjitsu
    3rd Degree Black Belt, Heike Ryu Jiu-Jitsu

It might be worth checking out.

If Jimmy Woo was in my area I'd check his class out.
    I have actually been to Dallas Kenpo. I checked that school out when I first got to Dallas. I really wanted to go back to a CMA. I was looking for an Eagle Claw school but there are none in DFW area. I really liked the concept of Ying Jow Pai.

Have a good school now and I am taking a liking to Shaolin Long Fist. Its like CMA with Tae Kwon Do kicks mixed in.

sorry Sensei,
    not chastising you ,personally. Just the idea that Shaolin Monks were the upright Buddhist sutra reciting icons we bought into from all the movies, books, and TV shows. Warrior Monks were warriors. Many did not take buddhist vows at all. Many lived on the grounds and shaved their heads, wore robes, but were actually in hiding from the Ching Govt.
    Hey...that's pretty cool. I didn't know that! I like the Chuck Zito image...lol.

sorry Sensei,
    Yea that's just the problem....a lot of us bought into the "monks out of the movie image". The reality of it is the "warrior monks" are not fully ordained religious monks that everyone seems to think thats what a monk should be. Most of em are lay disciples. So like any other MA style they fall under the same scrutiny as people put with organizations like the USSD and what not.