Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: choy lee fut wu shu

Blog Entries

choy lee fut wu shu

i've been noticing that the choy lee fut coming out of chan fam side of things is slowly taking on an image of wushu instead of traditional gung fu.

is this a new trend? will others follow suit? if more clf schools began teaching it wu shu style will other schools do the same to keep up?

i kinda like the idea, at least clf has broken into that realm. but myself, i like the old school way.

check this out, see what i mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H2GEBlmzJc

looks good, just not traditional anymore.
    Last edited by hskwarrior; 05-12-2007 at 01:16 PM.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Frank:

I don't think that is Chan Yong Fa's school at all, so you might want to take back what you said. I am not 100% sure but it looks similar to the CLF played by Sifu Hilbert Yiu's school in Vancouver. He was a student of Wong Ha as well as a wushu practioner and all of his students have a wushu flair to their CLF. There are also some schools in China that have appeared to mix to two as well.

From all the stuff I have seen from Sifu Chan's schools their style and CLF is nothing like that at all.

Peace.

Blog Entries
    i didn't say anything offenseful. from the chan side of things, i've noticed that there is a lot of wushu clf being performed.

what was wrong with what i asked? i don't see this coming from any hung sing school.

now, i know cyf is promoting clf to the olympics, and wu shu clf may be it. i don't know.

so, nah, i don't have to take it back. i didn't insult them. i'm just asking if this is a new trend. also, if its not hung sing or buk sing, then what other clf is being taught? chan family clf. right? so again, i just wanted to know if this was a new trend?

where can you fault me for asking?

No but you said the CLF coming from Chan Yong Fa's schools. That is not one of his schools. That was my point. If it is who I think it is they mix their CLF with wushu and if they like it that way whatever. I don't think it is a trend at all just the way some choose to do it.

You can look at the CLF just in the US and it is played different. I have seen some even have a bit of a karate type look when it comes to certain aspects. Remember to this is just a performance and you don't know how the teach techniques or fighting. Not saying it is good or bad it's just you can't tell much from just a clip. Personally I think the kid has fluid movement and is fast with good stances but I too don't prefer CLF to be played that way.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 05-12-2007 at 12:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    ok where i was wrong in asking is this........i should have said the chan family side of things instead of pointing out chan yong fa himself.

oops

I don't think you were wrong for asking it but by watching one clip of a form that has a wushu flair to it and asking if the Chan Family is going away from traditional CLF is a bit of a stretch. There are so many clips out there now of chan family, hung sing and buk sing and some are good and others not so good. By watching one bad clip of any branch would it be ok to ask "why does this branches kung fu look like ...(fill in blank)?"

My point is just seeing a clip on Youtube does not give anyone any insight into a school or a particular branch as they are just mere performance clips. You have to go into schools and watch them a number of times before you can come to any conclusions.

Blog Entries
    no, but its only the chan fam side of things that are demo'ng a lot of wu shu.

just wanted to know if thats the new thing.

I have seen non-Chan Family sometimes add a wushu flair as well. If you look out there you can find it.

Like I said everything varies. It wouldn't suprise me for stuff coming out of China to mix it becuase wushu is so popular there and I know Sifu Yiu's school in Vancouver has a wushu flair to it, but again it is just showing forms and not much else.

clfnole, I am a student of Sifu Hilbert Yiu in Vancouver and we play our CLF strictly traditional. We do not mix wushu into our style so I have no idea what you are talking about.

Blog Entries
    Clf, Sorry Clfnole Stepped On Your Toes. Usually Not Like Him Unless Its Me.:d

But, My Question Still Stands, Will Current Generation Clf'rs Going To Start Going Wu Shu.

I Wouldn't Be Surprised To See Clf Wushu In Usa. Hell, It's Fresh Territory. Who Will Be The First To Become Clf Wushu In Usa?

If I Found A Good Wu Shu Coach, I Might Go That Route Just For Wu Shu Purposes. Wu Shu Is Popular These Days.

What makes it Wushu?

Blog Entries
    Look......

chan family

When the term Chan Family Choy Lee Fut is used, I think of it only as the kung fu coming out of Chan Yong Fa's circle.

I've seen some of the guys from australia perform, and the san diego group.

They dont have any wu-shu flavor to them, and they train really hard.

Even my school (all though I've very irregular in training the last two years) wouldnt say were "Chan Family" style, family style, but Chan Family is Strictly Chan Yong Fa, passed down from father to son.

Peace
    Bryan Davis

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChoyLeeFat View Post
    clfnole, I am a student of Sifu Hilbert Yiu in Vancouver and we play our CLF strictly traditional. We do not mix wushu into our style so I have no idea what you are talking about.
    I gotta call B.S. on that. I once competed against one of your students that did a kip up in the middle of his saap ji kau dah. You call that traditional? Plus I saw students competing in traditional and wushu events back to back.

If you watch the VCD/DVD in the Chen Yong Fa set with the big gala demonstration, lots of the Chinese performers have a very Wushu flavour. I suppose if you've got wushu being taught in high school and college it's gonna happen. It's an even bigger issue in northern styles these days. Personally I think it's hideous
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk