Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: poor man's conditioning

poor man's conditioning

I have been studying kung fu now for 3 months. I do not have a lot of money, so I was interested in the opinions of others about conditioning my hands, fore arms and legs by a series of controlled and progressive system of strikes on bricks, brick walls and trees..since these items are all free to me. Also, what is an economical way to work on speed?

Thank you

I would be careful. Since you've only been in MA for three months I think your most important exercises are your conditioning ones, Push ups, set ups, leg lifts, etc.

Practice these along with your horse stance, kicks, strikes, etc.

I would not worry too much rightnow about iron bone training. However if you're hell bent on this I would get some training before I started frailing away on a tree!

Well i wont comment on the conditioning because from what i've read you have to be careful with that stuff. Need good jow (from what i understand)

But speed...i can talk about speed. Speed comes from proper technique and repetition. Here's some tips...perform the move SUPER SLOW....like, matrix slow. Over and over and over.....(this will ensure that your form is perfect, maximizing your power).....and train just like that, then go just regular-slow (not matrix slow)....then medium speed....fast, ect. Do this kinda stuff all the time...mix it up. I used to be so fast i literally couldn't see my own hands and neither could others.....but now looking back i didn't have the best form so now im working on getting "Ghost Hands" with good form too. =)

Oh...ps: Try to save money and get a bag or join a school. If your too young to work, get a paper route. Get a jar to save up all your change and use it exclusively for a bag...throwing punches in the air may get you fast, but you need to condition your wrists to handle the impact of the blows.....plus it will teach you how to generate power (if you've never trained on a bag seriously till you were exhausted, you'll see what i mean im sure)
    Last edited by Adventure427; 04-30-2007 at 10:21 PM.

If it's physical conditioning you want, start with light things that are used over an increasing period of time. It's like with lifting weights. You want both strength increase plus stamina.

You can do everything an MA needs in your local forest preserve if it's got a creek. Even the iron hand cn be done by sifting out the tiny creek rocks, and putting them in asmall canvas bag. You can make one by cutting the pant leg off an old pair of jeans and sewing the ends shut.

You can tie a fallen tree branch between 2 trees and make a pullup bar. You can do push ups, every imaginalbe type for sit up/crunch, you can do gymnastic style polymetric jumping exercises.

You can use falen tree limbs and old tree trunks to do all sortsof Old School strong man exercises.

Here are some great exercises forthose with little, to no budget. Most of it is conditioning for men's Bars in Gymnastics, but they also put thier own twist on things as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b641j...elated&search=

First be carefull,

Second, if you don't have the money right now to get a gym membership or some solo training equipment, work on your calisthenics and cardio. You can't get any more free than that.

Also, forest perserves are good, but go to a local park which has a playground, you can often find tons of iron bars there which can serve as dips and pullups without any hassle.

If you need a cheap striking bag, get a gym bag and fill it with sand or if you have a spare tree in the backyard, make a war post, wrap it in some foam, then some canvas bags filled with sand, tape the cr@p out of it and away you go.

Smile

Finger tip push ups will strengthen your hands.

well i would take the advise of the other & say work on your basics as they are the core to the system you are learning in addition to doing some simple exercises as others have suggested.

if you feel you need to condition further, i would suggest doing it slowly to reduce the risk of injury which will limit your ability to continue training.

there are things that you can do to condition you hands, forearms, shins & legs. here are a few options that i had used in the past.

1. you can do 3 star with a partner to condition your forearms & shins.
    2. if a partner is not available you can do 3 star on a tree (small - small/medium diameter) or wooden pole, wrap some soft cotton rope around the striking area. perform this with care & be sure to use jow afterwards. you can additionally, practice punches on the tree as well. use with caution & start off soft, otherwise you will hurt yourself as the tree is not forgiving.
    3. go to your local army surplus store & buy a duffle bag, they are pretty cheap. fill it with sand & hang it. use it to practice your punches or kicks. make sure you use either hand wraps or gloves at 1st as it will shread your hands.
    4. you can use the duffle bag technique for take downs to a certain degree as well as other leg building exercises.
    5. while you are watching tv, tape a piece of white paper onto part of the screen or the whole screen, once you see movement you punch, which would work on your reflexes, timing & speed. make sure you have enough distance from you & the tv so you do not strike it.

you may also want to check out if there is a local ymca in your area, the membership from my understanding is pretty cheap.

do a search on the forum as i have seen other techniques discussed in the past regard the same subject.

cheers,
    mk
    Last edited by monkeyking168; 05-01-2007 at 09:30 AM.
    Hung Sing Kung Fu Studio - Chinatown Branch
    724 Commercial Street
    San Francisco, Ca 94108
    email: hungsingclf@comcast.net

“Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.” - Buddha

re:

Quote Originally Posted by yinyangcross View Post
    I have been studying kung fu now for 3 months. I do not have a lot of money, so I was interested in the opinions of others about conditioning my hands, fore arms and legs by a series of controlled and progressive system of strikes on bricks, brick walls and trees..since these items are all free to me. Also, what is an economical way to work on speed?

Thank you
    I agree with alot of the stuff posted.
    Don't go round punching brick walls, though.

Use a log wrapped in rope ( hang it on something) for conditioning your forearms, side of the hand, backs of hand etc. don't do it too hard and make sure you use some good jow (plumdragon jow is good stuff).
    also Da Saam sing with a partner.
    Use soccer shin pads and kick trees to condition your shins. again use jow.
    Take it easy to start with.

I would recommend push, sit ups, squats etc.
    If you get board you can do mantis push ups.

practice stances too. much overlooked by alot of peeps but you need a strong root.

good luck

If your doing any kind of Iron body training you want to use an object that gives.

Hits something hard enough something is going to give. If it's you vs. the tree, guess who wins.

Make a hanging bag.

If you are going to do any Iron body conditioning you really need proper instruction. There are all kind of rules for this stuff to avoid looking like this, Pang Qing Fu. He started his Iron hand training as a kid without instruction. Now his **** is all deformed.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Hi Yingyangcross

My sifu used to tell me this

" An iron fist can only be useful if it connects" & "Attempts at Iron fist is useless after a certain age".
    Last edited by Beginner; 05-11-2007 at 06:53 AM.

Do you have a training partner? then you have the perfect conditioning tool. Flesh is really the best training tool. What about a punching bag? its only $100 at most.
    stick to the basics and put some blood and sweat into it.

www.rosstraining.com

www.rossboxing.com

check out the book Never Gymless

edit: the sites have lots of free info also!
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by Beginner View Post
    "Attempts at Iron fist is useless after a certain age".
    What age?

"If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    What age?

Normally by 25yrs old. However, one can still do some bone conditioning to toughen oneself. Just got to be careful of irreparable damage,

Hi as your name suggest, who do you practise iron fist from?
    Last edited by Beginner; 05-12-2007 at 02:53 AM.