Thread: Jackie Chan's Disciples

Hybrid View

Agreed...

Since it's tv for the masses, I would think it'd be hard to sell serious MMA, but since it's growing somewhat exponentially in popularity, hopefully it won't be too long...

Thank god for UFC, K1 and Pride. (and Spike for promoting it so)

Any thoughts on IFL I haven't noticed yet? A fiance of a friend of mine is training with them, and is extremely avid about it. Looks like plain ol' brawlin' IMO.
    Last edited by tug; 04-13-2007 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Editing.
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

Faking Gene's Birth Certificate

Gene could pass for 28. He could. A badly worn and tired 28, but 28! We'll dip him in some rioixin or skin tightener or whatever it's called. And the we'll get him entered on the Disciple! Start photoshopping that birth certificate today.

Oh wait, good moral values and habits. That might be a problem . . .
    Last edited by grlyncher99; 04-13-2007 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Mispelling
    ~The table saw is my weapon of
    choice

I'll throw in for it...
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

You know, I was carded just last year...

...but 2006 was a rough one and I've aged a lot since then.

Sorry Lueb, Jackie is only making this show open to people of Asian descent. No German wrasslers allowed.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Sorry Lueb, Jackie is only making this show open to people of Asian descent. No German wrasslers allowed.

thats ****ing ghey and racist. oh well, looks like i will have to make it in hong kong on my own then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

****ing ghey and racist

I was wondering when someone would comment on that. It's tricky and raises a lot of questions. Since it's a specific audition for a show, when you do auditions, there is always a specific demographic. Is that racist? Can you cast white guys for Asian roles and vice versa? Remember what happened with Joel Grey in Remo Williams. Were there any Asian or Black competitors for Grease: You're the one that I want and if so, how did they do? I didn't watch that show at all so I have no idea.

I'm not seeking to defend this. I'm just curious since it's somewhat uncharted territory and I think it's worth some exploration here. At least Jackie didn't call anyone nappy-headed hos.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

At least Jackie didn't call anyone nappy-headed hos.
    I kinda wish he would've. Maybe then the show'd make it to basic cable just for the fuss ratings.
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.

I was wondering when someone would comment on that. It's tricky and raises a lot of questions. Since it's a specific audition for a show, when you do auditions, there is always a specific demographic. Is that racist? Can you cast white guys for Asian roles and vice versa? Remember what happened with Joel Grey in Remo Williams. Were there any Asian or Black competitors for Grease: You're the one that I want and if so, how did they do? I didn't watch that show at all so I have no idea.

I'm not seeking to defend this. I'm just curious since it's somewhat uncharted territory and I think it's worth some exploration here. At least Jackie didn't call anyone nappy-headed hos.
    It seems like the racist thing is kindof wrong, in a way. It doesn't seem like you can really completely ignore what people look like and where they come from, especially when you're trying to market to a particular demographic.

Saying that people are somehow inherently worse because they come from some place or are some race would be racism, but trying to find an Asian star for a largely Asian demographic doesn't seem like racism.

So the 'nappy' thing definitely would be sexist or racist because he used a derogatory term (not nappy), but looking for an Asian star doesn't seem to be the same thing.

Does that make sense?

Of course, there's probably a lot of martial arts people who will think this is unfair. Given the Western fetish, if you will, of a large portion of young Asians, it seems like it actually might be a bit of a mistake to discount a non-Asian star.

Oh and I invite you all to come see my families school where I was grown up and raised... southcoastmartialarts.com

Website

I just did a quick scan and didn't see this already posted. If it's redundant, then my bad. At least you can see the Disciple finalists here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jack Tu: Jackie Chan’s Disciple in 2015: Part 1: Eye on the Gate

Here's an exclusive extra from our JULY+AUGUST 2015 Cover Story. Read Jack Tu: Jackie Chan’s Disciple in 2015: Part 1: Eye on the Gate by Gene Ching.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Part 2

Here's an exclusive extra from our JULY+AUGUST 2015 Cover Story. Read Jack Tu: Jackie Chan’s Disciple in 2015: Part 2: Chollywood by Gene Ching.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips