Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Shou Shu - real or another made-up melange?

Not that it is inconceivable that a Chinese master would pass their art onto a white guy (I know of at least one), but they would at least expect the inheritor to know the language and customs and ask them to respect that.
    Exactly :-)

sorry, i have limited history of Shou Shu, email the Shou Shu instructors if you want detail, if you all would have been more polite to Shun Shifu Weaver, he might have answered all of your ?s.
    Ok, some questions for you.
    1.Do you care whether or not your school's history is a lie?
    2.Did you bother to look into your school's background or the teacher's background?
    3.Does it bother you that Shou Shu declares itself superior to all other martial arts, yet has to teach jujitsu and kickboxing in addition to Shou Shu?
    4.Have you bothered to look into what any of these titles they use actually mean and whether they make any sense to Chinese people?

The silence is deafening.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

And yet it says so much...

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

That he has gone to sleep because it is the middle of the night in the US?
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

Or he's gone to train?

Bwaahahahaahaaaa!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Off to practice mongoose?

Originally posted by joedoe
    Off to practice mongoose?
    sounds kinky--no wait, lol

Originally posted by turbo76
    heres the Fresno/Clovis CA Shou Shu website

http://neweramartialarts.com/moores_karate/
    well, that says "shou shu karate." but still maintains that it's a chinese art passed down through the mandarin ruling class. that doesn't make much sense.

stuart b.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

of course, like eight other people have already made that observation. and i'm just slow. slow like a kevin costner film.

i'll be weeping quietly in my office if anyone needs me.

Originally posted by turbo76
    it just proves that Shou Shu is there and its real for those who seek it.
    that's just it, turbo. it doesn't prove that. i have pictures of me with dan inosanto too. that doesn't make me a JKD teacher.

besides, most of the criticism being leveled right now pertains to the style's history. it doesn't make any sense. it sounds manufactured. it's very easy for a person to create a 'highly secretive' art that's been 'passed down for generations.' and then, voila, they're the grandmaster of this system. the 'teacher of teachers.'

see how much better that is for marketing than simply being another kenpo teacher. or whatever is really the case?

does the possibility that this history is bogus bother you at all?

you can say (as several other shou shu students and teachers already have) that you don't care about the history as long as it works. phil even said that if he found out from dashifu that it was a falsified history, he not only wouldn't care, but he'd find dashifu's accomplishments that much more amazing.

but if it doesn't matter, why the false history in the first place? if it only matters whether the system works, why would a teacher create a backstory rather than sticking with the truth?

and the fact that phil said he'd admire dashifu all the more if he found out that the history was fake suggest to me that he's known as much for quite some time. and now he's telling his students how they should feel about it. covering tracks.

if the style works for you, then good. do your thing. but however indelicate our criticisms of the school might be, something's up. if you don't care, that's fine. but something is up.

stuart b.

Last edited by turbo76; 06-02-2004 at 11:57 AM.

Al Moore could speak Chinese like i speak English.
    I thought one of the websites said that he spoke no chinese. The history is obviously false. If the art is what it says it is(the greatest martial art in the world, capable of defeating any other), there would be no need for the falsified history.
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

Last edited by turbo76; 06-02-2004 at 11:58 AM.

I just hope

that some of this crappy kwoon's students read this thread and do a little thinking for themselves and some "comparison shopping" with other martial arts, and learn something that is what it says it is. Unbelievable.