Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is the cheesiest martial arts movie star?

for me it's gotta be the drunk guy that's in Magnificent Butcher and Drunken Master.

no hating on the great sam yuen

HE'S THE MAN. and beside without him we wouldn't have yuen woo ping. as for cheesy well i don't taimak yes deffently, that movies so bad its good. but what about the guy from gymkata. i never scene the movie but i saw a trailer and **** that was cheesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohankuen1 View Post
    for me it's gotta be the drunk guy that's in Magnificent Butcher and Drunken Master.
    Drunk guy in Magnificent Butcher s Fan Mei-Sheng. In drunken Master it is Simon Yuen. And yes, Simon Yuen is the sheeeit!
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Gymkata did blow. The star was a former Olympic gymnast (Kurt Thomas?) who was once a household name. I also think it was (another) typically bad post-Enter the Dragon Robert Clouse-directed movie.

Simon Yuen (Yuen Siu-Tin) was very cool. (He also plays Fu Sheng's Crane-style teacher in my fave MA movie, Shaolin Martial Arts).

I remember Ernie Reyes Jr. way back when he was an 8 year old with his dad's West Coast Demo Team. As far as Tae Kwon Do technique-wise, he's very good. But he can't seem to act, and the choices he (or his father) made for him in the movie/TV industry aren't good. Also, that old karate tournament demo style (overdone kiyai-ing, overdone faces and gestures, etc.) just does not translate well at all in the movies.
    And when he does get parts, at least as an adult now, he always has to talk as if his English is bad, or like a fortune cookie. Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohankuen1 View Post
    What do you mean? Those guys are awesome.

The one in Drunken Master doesn't even do his own kung fu, it's a stand in. I dunno man, but there's just something about the old drunk guy who seems to know everything. The charachter just doesn't work for me.

One thign you have to realize is he is OLD. The doubling is done very nicely, and is done even better in the sequel to Drunken Master, Dance of the drunken Mantis. In Sleeping Fist SImon Yuen does most of the stuff himself and looks great for his age. About 10 years before Drunken MAster was made Simon Yuen was still moving around very well.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

Nothing... absolutely nothing beats Kungfu vs Yoga....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrYlNNy929Y

It's not cringe inducing, it's just so **** cheesy it's actually funny.

I got one for ya's

How's this for cheesy? BLACK MANTIS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmLt9X38bwY

(And just so some of you don't go searching the Internet trying to get this movie -- it is part of the SXSW Grindhouse Trailer contest ...)
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

Late answer but...

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Actually, Kareem Abdul Jabbar's performance against Bruce Lee was not bad at all. He was the ONLY screen opponent who matched Bruce Lee in terms of athletism. I saw two superbly conditioned athletes putting on a good show. You should watch the Warrior's Journey for a better showcase of the choreography.
    It's not so much the action as it is the line delivery. It sounded really unnatural to me. Combine that with the fact that it was supposed to be deeply dramatic and you've got some serious cheese in my view.

You guys are such sinophiles. Cant you think outside teh box? I know this is a Kung fu forum, but what about the most successful cheezy martial arts actor of all time?

Sonny Chiba

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QJEDwa7iw

He is like a cross between a monkey, Bruce Lee, and some kind of meat grinder that rips off people's balls. AND, he is not afraid to hit a girl.

Go out and rent one of his movies TODAY!!

B Red

If there is any doubt, watch this:

(of course the video editing doesn't hurt)

Quote Originally Posted by bredmond812 View Post
    You guys are such sinophiles. Cant you think outside teh box? I know this is a Kung fu forum, but what about the most successful cheezy martial arts actor of all time?

Sonny Chiba

He is like a cross between a monkey, Bruce Lee, and some kind of meat grinder that rips off people's balls. AND, he is not afraid to hit a girl.

Go out and rent one of his movies TODAY!!

B Red

If there is any doubt, watch this:

(of course the video editing doesn't hurt)
    LOL! Beat me to it. I love baiting my Sifu about Sonny; he absolutly hates Sonny's work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Don Wilson, Cynthia Rothrock and anyone that knows them. Wilson was a great kickboxer, but couldn't act and had bad choreography. Rothrock also had bad choreography, but I just can't overlook her always yelling,"Ki-ai!!" In all her years in MA, nobody taught her that "Kiai" means the shout, and not the sound you make when you shout? Sheesh!
    John Saxon looked like crap in ETD-might just be the polyester slacks...
    Kareem Abdul Jabbar might be a great athlete, but not in MA. His kicks sucked. he had to lean way over to throw a waist high sloppy roundhouse.

I love how Bredmond says to think outside of the box and then lists king of exploitation Sonny Chiba.

For me it doesn't get any cheesier than Dragon Lee. That guy was God. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B81Njc1UR1A

Greetings,

TenTigers,

I would never say that Jabbar was an excellent martial artist. His conditioning was THERE to see. He did not have to struggle to keep up with Bruce. He was there, step by step.

The Xia,

You are right about the dialogue. It was cheesy. But that was Bruce's fault.

mickey