Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: REVISED Shaolin Encyclopedia!

Well, we westerners are some unscrupulous *******s, when we start ripping off monks.....

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    The Shaolin Encyclopedia is from Shi Deqian, who is a former monk of Shaolin. The profits from the Encyclopedias don't go to Shaolin Temple. They go to Deqian. Deqian now runs his own private school on the western edge of Dengfeng City.

I just did an article on him, The Shaolin Scribe: Shi Deqian and the Shaolin Encyclopedia, in our 2007 Shaolin Special. If you check out that article, Deqian discusses his issues with English translations of his work. He was ripped off a long time ago by an English translator and it has left him bitter and wary.
    Boy, I'd love to translate it into english!
    And I wouldn't rip off the guy! I revere him!

Go to Shaolin

Talk to Deqian. He's very approachable. He asked us if we wanted to do it, but it's too big of a project for us in terms of financial investment and return.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

That's very interesting. I'll have to pick up a copy. Thanks for the heads up, Sal.
    The photo versions of the forms are so great, it is well worth it for that alone.
    Also, many of the forms that I know have missing moves now added that really seem to help the flow of the forms.
    I was pretty surprised to see them.

I'd say the first 2/3 of the previous edition had the drawings replaced with photos.
    The rest have been colored while drawings still the same, some with corrections.

Talk to Deqian. He's very approachable. He asked us if we wanted to do it, but it's too big of a project for us in terms of financial investment and return.
    Does he read/speak english?

I'm impressed how I got the books in less than a week, when I was told it was going to take 4 week at least.

ha, ha, maybe he likes my articles?

He does not speak English at all

It's strictly Dengfenghua with Deqian. I'm curious as to that supplier. Santa Cruz PO Box? My old martial brother Ted Mancuso's Plum Publishing is based in Santa Cruz, but this seems unconnected.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

supplier

i cannot remember the guy's name, as i had bought the encyclopedia's about 2 years ago. he was an older and friendly gentleman that called me back after i emailed him at the address listed on this website. so you can contact him for more details about how you supplies it.

it would be nice to see the updated version, but now that i'm in choy lay fut i think i can save my cash and hold off on the shaolin research for now

Lightbulb Shaolin Encyclopedia

I am auctioning on ebay the 4 volume shaolin encyclopedia. Like new, with no missing pages.

anyone interested please visit, search Shaolin or member ID yinggong. 9 days left in auction.

Thanks

kingboxer
    Last edited by kingboxer; 11-24-2007 at 09:41 PM. Reason: left out information

Talking

Is it all in chinese?

you can read it for free online.

Yes,

Illustrated forms covering dozens of barehand and weapons forms, excellent translation material.

Kingboxer

Where is it posted online?

Kingboxer

why would you buy the shaolin encyclopedia for pictures of forms? its useless unless you can read chinese, the written stuff are fantastic

Excellent translation and reference material

Cost new from china, $300 to $360, my current bid $75. nice savings