Thread: Kung Fu and Chinese Medicine

Kung Fu and Chinese Medicine

Just curious how many out there have systems that teach kung fu and have a healing component? When it comes to the healing does the knowledge consist of bruise medicine aspects, iron palm/body.
    I remember Doc Fai Wong has a prractice in San fran and he clearly teaches. The was or is a guy in C-town named Guang who had a practice and taught Lung Ying. My teacher had no interest in learning herbs from his father but he's great in teaching and doing martial arts.

Pilgrim Sun wu kung Steve

Alot of sifu's out of HK know some sort of Medicine. My teacher is proficient in the Dit Da in terms of First Aid. He just would give us the medicine/lotions and tell us what massages or restrictions that went along with them.

Mostly it was due to Language.

When I studied with a Hung Ga teacher who also ran a Dit Da clinic, he was able to explain more and did provide me with various formulas. Was lucky to have a chinese classmate who was able to translate indepth what he was telling us. Also found myself assisting with clients from time to time (mostly just holding the moxa stick in place or helping to realign a limb, etc.)

Alot of my classmates today have gone on to study TCM (herbs, massage, accupuncture, etc) from the pacific institute in NYC. and are able to make a decent living out of it all with their martial arts instruction as a backup.

Our Monkey style includes massage, herbs, acupuncture and moxibustion. I have gathered a few bruise, iron palm and iron body formulas over the years. Though I have tried others, I use my own iron palm formula for personal training.

Healig and kung fu

Monkeyking,it's nice to be able to do massage/tui na, herbs and acupuncture. Did you go to the Ohio school of massage? I heard a Chinese medicine school from New Mexico openned an affiliate school in Columbus. Where did you learn massage, acupuncture, and herbs?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimsunwukun View Post
    Monkeyking,it's nice to be able to do massage/tui na, herbs and acupuncture. Did you go to the Ohio school of massage? I heard a Chinese medicine school from New Mexico openned an affiliate school in Columbus. Where did you learn massage, acupuncture, and herbs?
    Steve
    Various teachers, I did not go to school for it. Nor am I licensed in the state of Ohio.
    Yes, I have heard about the school in Columbus.

all TCMA has medicine in their teachings. Many of todays and some yesterday's teachers did not spend the time to learn the herbology, tui na, etc etc but all complete systems have this.
    It is a shame that much has been lost over the years with many masters dying off before all the info is passed down form generation to generation. so if you style lacks this do some research and find out at what time it did have medicine and go from there. You can always learn to become an OMD from chinese doctors that are willling to teach...
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...iger%27s+mouth

Tooth from the Tiger's Mouth.......very cool book.
    Last edited by Shaolin Wookie; 02-24-2007 at 08:51 AM.

Not only did he write a cool book he is also a great Dit Da Doctor and a skilled martial Artist/Teacher

I believe he still teaches a class at the Chelsea Branch of Yee's Hung Ga in NYC.