Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: empiricism vrs rationalism in the martial arts

empiricism vrs rationalism in the martial arts

How do you look at your specific martial art or lets say style of training?

This post is not about mma vrs traditional or anything of that nature but on how one views the ends to the means when it comes to self protection. This can be looked at from a micro or macro perspective if one chooses.

Rationalists generally develop their view in two ways. First, they argue that there are cases where the content of our concepts or knowledge outstrips the information that sense experience can provide. That there are significant ways in which our concepts and knowledge are gained independently of sense experience

What does this mean?

Does it state that certain arts because they were developed for a supposed defensive purpose a long time ago in our history or even by one's teachers teacher make them still effective because of there concepts even though they may not have any current empircal knoweldge on their use in a field tested situation.

In that regard what to you defines a field tested or pressure tested situation in that context then?

Some would say MMA or other combative sports for sure, others would argue the techiques and principles used in the current real world by bouncers, cops, guards, military operatives, street hoods and so forth.

On the other hand, Empiricists claim that sense experience is the ultimate source of all our concepts and knowledge. To them if experience cannot provide the concepts or knowledge the rationalists cite, then they really may not be worth a darn.

Maybe instead of a combative sports testing lab, the empircial knowledge is self obtained by the respective traditional art or by ones teacher using it in a working enviorment. Rationalism and Empiricism don't have to be totally serparate either but for the post lets say they are in some big respects.

Arts that one may consider on the macro to be Empirical-

Judo
    Wrestling
    Boxing
    San Shou
    Muay Thai
    Savate
    BJJ
    and so forth

Arts that one may consider on the macro to be based on Rationalism-

Longfist
    Japenese Jujitsu
    Silat
    JKD Concepts
    Karate
    Tai Chi Ch'uan
    Pakua
    a vast number of gung fu systems
    and so forth

The dispute between rationalism and empiricism concerns the extent to which we are dependent upon sense experience in our effort to gain knowledge so on that note what do you think?
    Last edited by Black Jack II; 01-24-2007 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    That there are significant ways in which our concepts and knowledge are gained independently of sense experience

Oh great, another idiot claiming it was all "dreamt up". Watch out dude, too much masterbation is bad for your health. If your logic were any more flawed and bloated, it would implode under its own grotesque girth. Your "Mixed bag" seems to be a high colonic.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 01-24-2007 at 06:23 PM.

Hume vs Descartes

Hume by rnc in the first round.

This thread reminds me of:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrShK-NVMIU
    Last edited by jon; 01-24-2007 at 06:35 PM.
    Up and down, forward and backward, left and right, its all the same. All of this is done with the mind, not externaly.
    ------------------------------------
    Shaped dragon and looking monkey, sitting tiger and turning eagle.

"I wonder how they would do against jon's no-tension fu. I bet they'd do REALLY WELL."
    - Huang Kai Vun

LOL,

Hey Almighty,

That is not my viewpoint you douche. Thats taken from standard philosophy based descriptions of Rationalism. Your taking personal attacks on something which is standard textbook.

Did you even read the post at all??

I presented two different viewpoints using empiricism and rationalism. Thinking it may be a good way to look at training methods. Just because you don't have a clue what they mean is not my fault.
    Last edited by Black Jack II; 01-24-2007 at 07:24 PM.

Let's say I'm a Empirical Karateka.

Is this the one and only Black Jack?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Sup Rogue,

Yes it be me chief. How you been.

I gave you a shout out before, thought I was on the out for a little bit there!

I think people are seeing this post topic way-way to harsh. Its not how it was intended at all. If people TAKE THE TIME to read what it states it has NOTHING to do with style bashing but more with different ways to view one's system.

can not quite agree with your first post.

Judo has rules to be a game/sports, there are things you may not do. it is rationalized big time.

1. Long fist or Tai Tzu long fist is a summary of all the good styles/methods used in the Song army. They used them to fight in the battle field. It is purely empirical or evidence or combat proof 100%

2. Tai Chi used by Yang Lu Chan and imperial guards and royalties. It is also 100% empirical.

3. Ba Gua was used by imperial guards.

heck

reverse your list.

LOL,

Hey Almighty,

That is not my viewpoint you douche. Thats taken from standard philosophy based descriptions of Rationalism. Your taking personal attacks on something which is standard textbook.

Did you even read the post at all??

I presented two different viewpoints using empiricism and rationalism. Thinking it may be a good way to look at training methods. Just because you don't have a clue what they mean is not my fault.
    Oh STFU!, you anally bored out aging whorebag. You meant EXACTLY that. You are stating that the styles on the "rational" list were "dreamt up" without the imputus of NEED. Which is what you cowboy john wayne wannabe/neverwas, paramilitary, gun stock stroking, camo at a wedding wearing, beer swilling, red necked, micro dicked, sister raping, mutha fookers like to masterbate to.

Sup Rogue,

Yes it be me chief. How you been.

I gave you a shout out before, thought I was on the out for a little bit there!

I think people are seeing this post topic way-way to harsh. Its not how it was intended at all. If people TAKE THE TIME to read what it states it has NOTHING to do with style bashing but more with different ways to view one's system.
    Sorry I missed the shout out bro, my bad. We should catch up on the combatives subject soon.

I agree about the topic.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    Oh STFU!, you anally bored out aging whorebag. You meant EXACTLY that. You are stating that the styles on the "rational" list were "dreamt up" without the imputus of NEED. Which is what you cowboy john wayne wannabe/neverwas, paramilitary, gun stock stroking, camo at a wedding wearing, beer swilling, red necked, micro dicked, sister raping, mutha fookers like to masterbate to.
    Able, Did Knifefighter hide your meds again?

DM

Able, Did Knifefighter hide your meds again-

LMAO

Aging? Dude I think I am younger than you if I remeber?

Take a chill pill you queen....f@ck, I wish I had that picture of you in that horse stance with your harem of glossy funboys squating on your legs in heavenly admiration.

btw....that is not what the post was about at all. This post is not about mma vrs traditional or anything of that nature but on how one views the ends to the means when it comes to self protection. This can be looked at from a micro or macro perspective if one chooses.

Never said both views can not be combined, people in science use both all the time, and I also used that as a very raw list without taking in any specific persons training format.

off topic;

I had a pet mouse named Ben. It was eaten by my cat.

I started to sing like MJ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvaxMjJudhM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRqrHEkbiOc

is it a dream.

no. it is as real as you can be.

fighting methods do evolve.

however, if it is no good, it will be out of window before long.

that is as empiric as it can be.

what are we talking about?

Last edited by SPJ; 01-24-2007 at 09:48 PM.

cjurakpt Guest
    I thik that at a given point in a given art's development, it's practitioners may swing from one extreme to the other: since it's not the content but the context about which you are speaking (e.g. - techniques from tai chi and wrestling can look very similar, but the manner in which they are practiced and applied can vary greatly); it's similar to the notion of dialetic syncretism, where you have periodic fluctuation of a "new" art being formed from a synthesis of other styles based on a practitioners experience and perceived need (empricial) and that art being "standardized" after a few generations and carried on for its own sake as a system (rationalism), until someone no longer is willing to stake their rep on what worked for someone 100 years ago

you can also have this occur within an art as well: I can practice tai chi which I learn from someone who has never used the art to fight, but who assures me that the techniques work in such and such a way despite them not being able to apply them well, and I can "reverse engeneer" it back to it's martial roots by taking the techniques, training them differently and trying to apply them in live venues; interestingly though, the reverse probably is less plauseable: although in the case of wrestling, development of the WWF "style" could be construed, oddly enough, as a form of rationalism, since it is in effect not based on empirical data of what works, but rather on a set of principles independent of the direct experience of the practitioner...

personally though, I prefer skepticism (if I punch you in the face and your head snaps backwards into another person's head, just because their head moves it doesn't necessarilly mean that it was caused by your head hitting theirs... ) and deconstruction (your so-called "traditional" style is nothing more than a construct propogated by dead white Christian males, and a textual reading of your forms reveals the inevitability of it's own dialectic... )
    Last edited by cjurakpt; 01-24-2007 at 09:58 PM.

Hi Abel,

I think you are overreacting here! It seems to me that Black Jack's intent is to open an interesting philosophical discussion and not degrade any particular art. There is a difference between the usual mindless argument and a serious intellectual discussion.

All discussions occur according to a context. Black Jack set up some ground rules (context) for the discussion to focus around. This is reasonable for any philosophical discussion. If you disagree with his premises it would be more productive to formulate a reasoned argument that refutes his premises, however all discussion occur according to a predetermined set of premises. Just because you do not like Black Jack's premises is not reason to attack him personally with such vitriol. A reasonable response would be more appropriate here. This would carry on the discussion and help to prevent it from devolving into just another pi$$ing contest.

Your comments have began the pi$$ing contest because of the preconceived notions you have about Black Jack's intent. This does you no justice. I know you to be capable of reasoned discussion. If you are not willing to participate in the manner that Black Jack has repeatedly stated he intended the discussion to proceed then perhaps this is not the discussion thread for you.

I hope to participate in this discussion later if I have the time. In the mean time please take my comments as a friendly admonition and not intended to increase the pi$$ing in the pool here.

Or perhaps you have a personal history with Black Jack that some of us are not aware of?

cjurakpt Guest
    hey Scott - so I guess this is the type of thread title that gets you to leave the relative civility of the tai chi threads and come up to hazzard the slings and arrows of the main forum?

Abel seems to have had a particularly spikey burr up his butt of late, I also was surprised by his seemingly unwarranted response; I think you contextualized it well, and hopefully this won't turn into a philosophical flame war ("No Rene, it is a solipsistic perspective!" "Screw you Martin, you fu(king Nazi!")
    Last edited by cjurakpt; 01-24-2007 at 10:34 PM.