Thread: Scott's Judo log

Threaded View

Scott's Judo log

I have been keeping this log elsewhere, but I would like to start keeping it here. I am going to copy and paste the old posts from the place I used to keep it. From now on I will only post it here. I would like any feedback others have in regards to Judo/the log. I will try to find a site that illustrates the grappling techniques the same way www.judoinfo.com illustrates the judo techniques.

Background: Just switched from TMA to more sports based martial arts about a year and a half ago. Prior to December (graduation) I had no time to train at a martial arts school. Now that I belong to a martial arts school (and also train with the University of Pittsburgh Grappling Club) I want to record my progress and learning.

Places I train
    www.southhillsjudo.org
    http://www.pitt.edu/AFShome/s/o/sorc.../html/bjjclub/
    http://www.pitt.edu/AFShome/s/o/sorc...tml/grappling/
    The latter two I will generically label "Pitt Grappling Club"

At the South Hills Judo Club there are various teachers for Judo. There will be an instuctor profile page on their website soon. The BJJ instuctor is Bobby Palumbi
    He also teaches at Pitt sometimes. There are other teachers at Pitt also.

The style of this log is inspired by one of my teachers, Jimmy. He keeps the most detailed and informative accounts of everything he learns. I really feel it's useful for training the mind.

12/13
    Went to my first Judo class at www.southhillsjudo.org
    it was great! I also got a gi. So Class went:
    Warm Up

Randori

Technique
    worked on transitioning from failed techniques to other attacks.
    tomoe nage that failed into an ankle pick and drop opponent to the side.
    kata garuma failed to something that looked like a double leg takedown.

when opponent bends knees to avoid get thier left ankle with your right hand and thier right ankle with your left, spread their legs and drive backwards.
    We also did some weird choke that I didn't like very much.
    In randori I actually met an old friend of mine there who is a black belt. We were paired up, he took it pretty easy on me and showed me a few things.

In ippon seoi nage while stepping in pull the sleeve grip back like looking at watch, other arm goes under the arm, bend at knees and get hip under his, you dont need to grab with the hand that is under the arm you are pulling. He also told me (and I should already know) not to cross feet during randori as it becomes easy for opponent to trip you up then.

12/15
    went to Pitt's Panther Grappling Club
    Judo:
    uchi mata:

I had trouble coordinating everything. Step in with right (not too far) left foot behind right kuzushi by pulling opponent forward while lifting them, get hip below theirs while staying not too bent, not too streight, lift up with the hip look to the other direction.
    Then we did a technique i can't find or remember the japanese name, the english name is hand wheel. We did it as a counter to opponents uchi mata: opponent steps into uchi mata, grab leg material of gi scoop em up and drop them.
    what I remember continued:
    we also did rolling armbar from knees and standing.
    *Armbar from side controll, hard to get with good opponent
    *shrimp then bridge to create space to get your knee through
    * both of these armbars were executed with one leg in the front of the opponent and the other in the armpit. we went over other things but I can't quite recall.
    Free Rolling
    I rolled with one guy I never rolled with before, we rolled a while, I got some sweeps, one out of the scarf hold (which is a problem for me) but he ended up getting me in a kneebar.
    Last edited by bodhitree; 05-18-2007 at 05:04 AM.
    Bless you