Thread: Training for "The Street"

Hybrid View

The last place I trained didn't spend any time on weapons fighting or multiple attackers but previous schools I attended did touch on these.

I've done knife and gun drills with rubber knives and guns, stick (versus empty hand) drills with real sticks. Some good, some questionable. I've been to a handful of schools and every one had some questionable material.

I've done multiple attacker drills where you stand in the center of a circle and teacher calls on guys to attack you, sometimes sequentially from different directions and sometimes simultaneous.

One school we did a free for all where the guy that was 'it' was attacked by the rest of the class until exhaustion (or excessive injury).

I've also done classes where you wear your everyday street clothes (what you would most likely be wearing when attacked) to discover any differences in functionality with different clothing and get comfortable. Women are the big losers there.

A lot of that was done at my first Kenpo school. He was big on variety. I'm surprised he never got someone to jump us in the parking lot for real life practice.

He once gave another student (just out of the military where he boxed, clean cut and built, I was a skinny hippie with long hair and earring) permission to beat the crap out of me in class if he could.

Stupid me didn't know about the deal so when he paired us up to spar I was point sparring light contact while he was trying to take my head off. I was blocking everything he threw but when I realized he was going all out I dropped him with a roundhouse kick to the solar plexus. I found out about the setup after class.

Knifefighter will like the fact that my teacher went on to learn JiuJitsu (probably BJJ) some time after that (about mid 80s) and currently teaches what he calls Kenpo JiuJitsu. That guy was a trip. His name is Cliff Comparato if anyone's heard of him.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    The last place I trained didn't spend any time on weapons fighting or multiple attackers but previous schools I attended did touch on these.
    So, what are some of the things you learned related to the questions I posed above?

You can't train for the street. you can just train as you are shown an best know how based on teh experience of those who came before and adapting with situations as they arise.

situational awareness training and methods that help ingrain the habits associated with situational awareness are much more valuable "street ready" training than any martial tactical practice.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    You can't train for the street. you can just train as you are shown an best know how based on teh experience of those who came before and adapting with situations as they arise.

situational awareness training and methods that help ingrain the habits associated with situational awareness are much more valuable "street ready" training than any martial tactical practice.
    But what about all the kung fu guys who say that is what kung fu is for?

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    But what about all the kung fu guys who say that is what kung fu is for?
    uh, I'm a "kungfu guy".

chinese martial arts, like any martial arts can be used for attack or defense.

but training is just training.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

uh, I'm a "kungfu guy".

chinese martial arts, like any martial arts can be used for attack or defense.

but training is just training.
    OK, then... let's break it down into multiple/weapons vs. unarmed and one person.

Same topic as above, but we can replace street with "just training" if that makes you happier.

Same questions regarding insights apply.

lemme break it down a little.

a soldier enters the armed forces and gets his 13 weeks of boot camp.
    thios is hard training, mostly conditioning, heaps of cardio vascular stuff and strength building through gruelling routines.

once that's been gotten through, they get a station.

at the station, depending on their units level of participation in whatever, they continue some forms of training and where it lacks, there is provisions made for those soldiers that do wish to continue training conditioning stuff and often there ar clubs on base where soldiers can learn any number of various types of self defense and attack methods and tactics.

some soldiers can specialize and do rigorous martial training such as rangers, seals and other special ops type teams.

a guy can go through all of this for years before he steps out of a c130 and gets shot in the head before he gets his gear out of stow.

and that's my point about training.

Train because you want to train. You don't need any other reasons.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

a guy can go through all of this for years before he steps out of a c130 and gets shot in the head before he gets his gear out of stow.
    and that's my point about training.

lTrain because you want to train. You don't need any other reasons.
    I guess, according to your "point", the military doesn't need to train its personnel.. only those guys who want to train.

But that is another thread. This one is to discuss insights learned from training with multiple opponents and/or weapons in a realistic manner.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 01-11-2007 at 07:45 PM.

cjurakpt Guest
    to paraphrase Hobbes, real knife fights are "nasty, brutish and short" (actually, Abel would probably characterize Knifefighter in the same way, but I digress...), so I think the whole practice of showing "clean" techniques (e.g. - the vid on the "other" thread that will remain nameless) is a good example of how you can take a reality based context and stylize it - in other words, sequencing techniques based on a non-responding opponent is basically assuming that after your initial defense, he will just not attack again: I always believed that even if the guy is good for one attack only, there's a good chance that he might accidently slice you even without trying to...

personally, I am most concerned with the INITAL contact: how do you establish control as soon as possible? for example, a principle based approach might suggest you try to control the knife user's elbow / upper forearm with both hands as opposed to at the wrist, because you limit degrees of freedom more, have better control over the center of mass, and have a better chance getting your hands on that area in general, versus grabbing a wrist / hand (comments on this?); this is what I'd practice the most - 'cause if you don't have that control, there's no point in really practicing follow up stuff anyway...

environmental training is critical - getting out into "the street" and learning how to improvise using cars, garbage cans, lamposts, other people as barriers (ok, well, maybe not lamposts); also learning not to run into oncoming traffic when fleeing from an assailant - little things like that; another thing that people rarely take into account: what would you do if you were with your family? holding your baby? obviously, you don't want to fight in those situatioons, but what if you had no choice? (oh, and how do you train KNOWING that you don't have any choice?)

finally, if you are in a situation where you are that concerned about being regularly atttacked by someone with a knife, you should either a) reassess your life; b) carry something equally or more lethal, and learn to draw it very quickly...
    Last edited by cjurakpt; 01-11-2007 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    personally, I am most concerned with the INITAL contact: how do you establish control as soon as possible? for example, a principle based approach might suggest you try to control the knife user's elbow / upper forearm with both hands as opposed to at the wrist, because you limit degrees of freedom more, have better control over the center of mass, and have a better chance getting your hands on that area in general, versus grabbing a wrist / hand (comments on this?); this is what I'd practice the most - 'cause if you don't have that control, there's no point in really practicing follow up stuff anyway...

environmental training is critical - getting out into "the street" and learning how to improvise using cars, garbage cans, lamposts, other people as barriers (ok, well, maybe not lamposts); also learning not to run into oncoming traffic when fleeing from an assailant - little things like that; another thing that people rarely take into account: what would you do if you were with your family? holding your baby? obviously, you don't want to fight in those situatioons, but what if you had no choice? (oh, and how do you train KNOWING that you don't have any choice?)
    Are these things you are training or is this just theory?
    If it is the former, would you like to comment on the specific insights you have gained?

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    personally, I am most concerned with the INITAL contact: how do you establish control as soon as possible?.
    I think getting control is almsot always the hardest part.

for example, a principle based approach might suggest you try to control the knife user's elbow / upper forearm with both hands as opposed to at the wrist, because you limit degrees of freedom more, have better control over the center of mass, and have a better chance getting your hands on that area in general, versus grabbing a wrist / hand
    I've found that the problem with higher arm control with the hands is the freedom it leaves the opponent to switch the blade into the other hand. I have been able to solve this to a degree by getting double overhooks and controlling with those. Any cutting that can occur is pretty limited and superficial from there. After that, I can often switch to a kimura, bring the opponent down to a guard position on the ground and get a disarm or finish from there. This seems to work best from a close infighting range and seems to best be used as soon as the opponent breaches the inside range.

Getting control at the wrist, although problematic and not the highest percentage, has usually been the best option from longer to mid range, although I often miss it and have to go to the overhooks from inside.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 01-11-2007 at 09:02 PM.

Everyone knows the best way to train for the street is in a nice kwoon, wearing a fancy uniform and initiating all attacks with a big karate shout.

These days I train mostly what would be called self defense so I'll give it a go.

How do you train that and from whom do you learn it?

Most people would agree that to get the most out of your training, you must spar. For those who train for "the street”,
    how often do you spar with and against weapons? Sometimes weekly, sometimes longer between sessions.

Multiple opponents? Sometimes weekly, sometimes longer between sessions. Weapons are treated as something that should be expected at all times.

Multiple opponents with weapons? Yes, weapons are a given.

What kinds of weapons do you spar with and against? Dirt, lamps, plastic bags, handguns, non-rubber knives, whatever is at hand or on your person is fair game.

What kinds of mixes do you use with mutliples? 2 on1, 3 on 1. It's a small group.

What kinds of weapons do you throw into the mix? Dirt, lamps, unloaded handguns or airsoft, knives, whatever is at hand or on your person.

For those that do spar, how do you keep the injuries down? How do you make it realistic?
    Some times you have to be careful, sometimes we use the less damaging versions of a move in order to go full speed, other times we'll use equipment. Still injuries happen but so far nothing that kept anyone from training.

How does the environment affect your ability to fight multiple and/or weapons wielding opponents?
    A busy environment helps me, a clean one works against me. Good thing the world doesn't look like a martial arts school.

Do your specific techniques change when facing multiple opponents and/or weapons?
    Not much. Those are life and death situations and I will try whatever I have to in order to survive.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    These days I train mostly what would be called self defense so I'll give it a go.
    What are some of the insights technically or tactically that you have gained from this?