Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: shuai jiao, Portland, OR

shuai jiao, Portland, OR

i am having a tough time finding an organized group for any shuai jiao training.

i would very much like to check some shuai jiao out, if anyone has any information that may lead to this happening in my area, i would kindly appreciate the help.

thanks in advance for anyone who can do this for me.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

I know of no one in the Pacific NW. Your closest bet would be either down in North Cali with Dr. Weng, or in Vancouver with Liang SHou Yu, or my teacher Hu Xi Lin (though he does not teach pure sport Shuai Chiao, unless you train privately and ask that of him).
    I incorporate Shuai techniques into all of my fighting, but again I do not teach pure sport SC.
    Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Why don't you try a Judo school
    there is a list of schools here
    Bless you

Last edited by bodhitree; 12-15-2006 at 09:33 AM.
    Bless you

only difference is short or long sleeves
    Bless you

Judo is great. I' m in Beijing studying S/J for 6 1/2 months and got my yellow belt in judo right before I came here. The differences are small. Judo is a great art. Here are the main differences.

Different Jackets makes for difference us of grips. S/J seems to use a bit more strength and judo alittle more finesse. Judo has ground work. S/J has solo exercises for each throw so you can do a complete work without a partner.

wiz cool c got it! If you want to improve your throws, Judo is great for it! It can only help your shuai jiao. Wiz, do you do a lot of Randori where you train in beijing? You should keep a shuai jiao training log somewhere on this site.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    wiz cool c got it! If you want to improve your throws, Judo is great for it! It can only help your shuai jiao. Wiz, do you do a lot of Randori where you train in beijing? You should keep a shuai jiao training log somewhere on this site.
    Hi bodhitree yes we do Randori every class. I'm learning sport style. Last class we did about 6 5 minute rounds. I love judo and they have it where I train but I'm in Beijing so I need to take advantage of learning Chinese style now. The S/J Randori is more based on strenght then the Judo in my opinion. I try to stay relaxed but the teachers stress strenght and speed. It's funny you mention a training log because I have been writing a S/J dairy since Ive been here. But I'm a little lazy so I'll post the interesting stuff like when I got my ass kick in class the other day.

Shuai Jiao

Hi everyone .

Been looking around and Reading the Forum. Thought it is about time for me to comment on certain Subjects. This is one of them I have to , cause of my back ground in this area . It sure is good to see the interest in learning Shuai Jiao .

Shuai Jiao Should never be Trained as a sport . It’s the Father of Judo. Shuai jiao is very good . Its traits are in many martial arts. Unless there is a Teacher in Shuai Jiao their in your location then it would be in your best interest to find a teacher else where . Go on a few week – end trips and learn from a good Teacher , rather then learning Bad Habits.

I Strongly would Say Not to go to Dr. Weng. He is Good. But , You want to learn it from a better Teacher. Someone that teaches it as a Martial Art. Like Grand Master Chang would Say, In His days. If you wish to contact me I’ll be more then Willing to point you into the right Direction. Three Harmonies has the Right attitude and has a Very Good Teacher. You should Take some pointers from him as well .

Happy Holidays Every one …..

Mukei

I disagree, I think sport leads to more realistic training. Interesting articles pertaining to the subject:
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
    I disagree, I think sport leads to more realistic training. Interesting articles pertaining to the subject:
    Those are really good articles and deserve a little bit more highlight:

A Flawed Premise: Proper Technique?-

http://www.judoinfo.com/waza.htm

Fighting or Playing? The Martial Art vs Sport Debate-

http://www.judoinfo.com/sport.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Mukei View Post

Shuai Jiao Should never be Trained as a sport .
    Grandmaster Chan Dong Sheng disagreed with you, but what did he really know?

I Strongly would Say Not to go to Dr. Weng. He is Good. But , You want to learn it from a better Teacher. Someone that teaches it as a Martial Art. Like Grand Master Chang
    Daniel Weng is, like others, a direct student of Grandmaster Chang and was one of his assistants. If he knew enough to assist Grandmaster Chang, he probably has some skill and knowledge

The HOliday Season is upon us, let's not speak ill of others and grind our axes. Best wishes to you
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Shuai Jiao Should never be Trained as a sport .
    Traing for sport is one of the best ways to bring a martial art to its highest levels. Training for only self-defense and "the street", while not including competitive, sporting aspects, is one of the surest ways to lessen its effectiveness. This was one of the main lessons of Kano's judo vs. jujutsu challenge, as well as the original UFC's.

I Strongly would Say Not to go to Dr. Weng. He is Good. But , You want to learn it from a better Teacher. Someone that teaches it as a Martial Art.
    The chances of learning the most effective techniques will come when one learns them from someone who teaches the sport, competitive aspects.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 12-18-2006 at 12:57 PM.

In My Opinion

I see I Hit a Nerve …….. Let me see. Mmmmm For thos of you Who Don’t Know the Insight .

Dr Daniel Weng: Was a Student and was helping his Teacher Promote Shuai Jiao Back in the day. Grand Master Tung Sheng Chang ( proper spelling ) Was Promoting it and he made many people know how good it was , (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chang_Tung_Sheng

Dr Daniel Weng: past history was judo . Then he began to learn Shuai Chiao.
    For Beginners I believe you need to learn the Art Before you Play and Go to
    Tournaments. As a beginner you learn bad hobbits and miss the Object to what it’s used for. In Shuai Chiao you learn how to Break, rip tear, Dis-locate. The arms and other Joints, and hurt your opponent as he is falling. Advance Students do other training. Dr Daniel Weng is a nice guy, I have nothing against him in any way. He is Knowledgeable
    and is good in what he does. I’m not bad mouthing him inn any way .

All I’m Saying, "]In My Opinion", Learning it as a martial art along with other
    Styles helps you understand how powerful it can be. As a Beginner its not the right thing to be thinking your ready getting in Tournaments. It was never mentioned to me
    it was a sport. I was their in the room with many others in the room, and it was said that
    the Bao Ding Shuai Chiao , was not intended for being a sport but used for Fighting
    By Grand Master Chang Him Self . Yes …. I got to met him and participate in the Seminars Learning Shuai Jiao basics and Advance applications when I was Younger . Dr Daniel Weng was the interpreter, Assistant , and the person being thrown all over the place, let alone other Volunteers in the room. It was a privilege I’ll never forget.

All I’m Trying to say is learn it from a teacher who Teaches it as a Martial art not
    To win trophies . I’m entitled to my opinion. By no Means trying to get into the politics.
    I’m not trying to Slander anyone .
    A couple of Good Sites that are good to get some useful information are :

http://www.chung-hua.com/combatshuaichiao.html (Combative Bao Ding Shuai Chiao) http://www.changshuaichiao.com/chang_shuai_chiao.htm( This is GM Changs Grandsons site . )

Mukei

I see I Hit a Nerve ……..
    NO, just my BS meter started clicking, now it's humming

Let me see. Mmmmm For thos of you Who Don’t Know the Insight .

Grand Master Tung Sheng Chang ( proper spelling )
    yawn, please, ninja, please....
    Proper transliteration of his name would be dependent upon who you believe is the keeper of the proper method (pin yin, wade giles, yale, etc)... but a good point of reference, the FAMILY name is "Chang" and most Chinese adhere to family name first... also, it is a "D" sound, Dung... even in Wade Giles you'd have to put the ' to make is correct, T'ung

All I’m Saying, "In My Opinion", Learning it as a martial art along with other
    Styles helps you understand how powerful it can be. As a Beginner its not the right thing to be thinking your ready getting in Tournaments. It was never mentioned to me
    it was a sport.
    Chang engaged in it as a "sport". Daniel Weng, David Lin, Jeng Hsin Ping, etc all did the "sport". Who are you really to say these things?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....