View Poll Results: Do you practice Chinese martial arts?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I solely practice martial arts of Chinese origin.

28 50.91%
  • Yes, I practice Chinese martial arts in addition to one or more others.

20 36.36%
  • No, i practice martial arts from other countries such as Korea, Japan, Brazil etc.

6 10.91%
  • I do not practice a martial art.

1 1.82%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you practice Chinese Martial Arts?

So what are the no listers doing here? It seems just to debunk KF. It seems thats the only thing certain members are here to do.

I know what the response will be, " Don't you want an alternate point of view?" sure and i'll go elswhere to find it. But this board is about CMA and those that want to learn from it. All others are here just to be pests.

You may think you are doing CMA a favor but,
    Thanks, we gave at the office. Theres no need for your "charitable" donations.

ROLFLAMO!!! I gotta remember that one the next time Trollfighter trys to start a flame war!

My princaple style is Kung Fu, with a little bit of this and that. I also like to roll when I can find a sparring partner, though my technique in that area is becomming or of a fairly effective mess than any given style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

yang taijiquan since 1997, with the tiniest bit of choy li fut thrown into the mix since about 2000 or so.
    Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po
    You then walk backwards, forcing him off his feet and then drag him by the eye socket and lips. You can pull so hard that the lips tear away. You will never hear such screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    Nevermind the fact that the "master of one" is still a jack of all trades...
    Interesting way of looking at the words. This is true if someone becomes a "master of one" complete style.

Funny, no outraged clamor over my post. There must be a shortage.

It seems like you're the one who's trolling...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    Nevermind the fact that the "master of one" is still a jack of all trades...
    I don't agree.. The question is, is there one MA system in the world today that is totally complete (i.e. highly functional in all aspects of the Martial Arts, kicking/punching/trapping/clinchin/grappling). If not, then only the rare few with great talent and dedication can be said to a "master of all the trades". Of course there are those rare individuals in todays world, but they are one in 10 million IMO.

James
    Last edited by sihing; 10-18-2006 at 05:05 PM.

I'm practicing san shou most actively right now, along with BSL. Trying to get back into WT and may join an MMA gym in Sacramento soon... we'll see.

I practice what I enjoy. I enjoy sparring and consider it essential and the most intense sparring happens to be found (usually) in the sport fighting schools. So there you have it.

CMA is still the most interesting to me and has the most enjoyable forms.

In specialization, tere is no such thing as "complete". Complete is only in context to the specialty. Now you can have a batch of specialties, but do those comprise "complete".

There is no such thing as a complete fighting art except in context to that art in and of itself.

with the exception of pressing the button that completes a martial action completely.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenshaw View Post
    I'm practicing san shou most actively right now, along with BSL. Trying to get back into WT and may join an MMA gym in Sacramento soon... we'll see.

I practice what I enjoy. I enjoy sparring and consider it essential and the most intense sparring happens to be found (usually) in the sport fighting schools. So there you have it.

CMA is still the most interesting to me and has the most enjoyable forms.
    I think something important has been stated here. Ravenshaw "Enjoys" what he is practicing. Most of us practice the arts we enjoy, and do activities associated with that art that we enjoy (sparring, forms, weapons, etc..). That is a large factor that influences what we do and why we do it.

For me, maybe due to the media and such, I've always liked the chinese arts. I like the history, the stories, the movies and the practical concepts behind the art. I also appreciate other arts forms that are non chinese, mostly because they are practical or allow us to gain skills to make us more effective fighters.

James

yeah good one

great phase
    i practice mma/valetudo and wushu i did hung gar for 2 years so i have a base in that
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

I only practice Northern Shaolin but I will try non chinese MA in the future, I'm interested in BJJ.
    Trying to train hard...