Page 38 of 52 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: TUF Season 4 question

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    that said, I am guessing that no matter what, you will find some fault with how I spar, and attribute it to my opinions about form practice...but that's ok, I think I will somehow get over it

I just want to see that you have the skills you say you have. You've mastered all the skills given to you to. It should show.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    There are also tons of people who don't do forms and only do mma and suck at fighting. as it become a more popular pastime and falls into the realm of hobbyist, there will be even more mma-ers who absolutely suck at fighting.
    You are basing your "suckage" rating based on them fighting against other MMA fighters.

Watch them fight an average KF guy and you will see where the real suckage is at..

being a fighter has nothing to do with training methods
    Being a fighter has everything to do with training methods, as anyone who has watched a rank newbie mature into a hardened fighter will know.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud View Post
    Dave you talk so much crap for somebody that climed into the ring and got thrown out.

I got an Idea, I wont fly to Elsagondo to fight Knife since he won't meet me half way but your close enough.

Instead of posting chalenges to fight a nice guy like Negron who is a graphic artist that doesn't have much MA ability how about you and me close the doors and go at it for a while. Oh and I'm willing to tape the fight.

Even though you are a fat pud the odds are even since I am recovring from hip surgery. BTW it will be taped those are my only terms and we can wear MMA gloves if you like.

Do you forget how many times I man handeld you on the floor when we sparred or is that what you still harboring inside of you.
    Tick tock tick tock I'm waiting for your response

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    Dude, you don't think the athleticism, strength, accuracy, flexability, speed, agility, and stability to do form work at that level has ANY baring on my abilities as a fighter? Dream on.
    Ballerinas have those attributes also.
    Doen't mean that ballet makes them fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    You are basing your "suckage" rating based on them fighting against other MMA fighters.

Watch them fight an average KF guy and you will see where the real suckage is at..
    No, im not basing it on that, but I know you really...really want to assume that. It's cool Knife, I know what time it is with you and the subject.

Being a fighter has everything to do with training methods, as anyone who has watched a rank newbie mature into a hardened fighter will know.
    Being a fighter is either in you or not and twenty years of training in "x" will not be the factor in what makes you pull that rabbit out of a hat. Mostly it's about crisis response and if you you are a flighter, you will almost always be a flighter and if you are a fighter, then methods will indeed improve you ability to be that.

But if you do not have the will in you, then Im not sure how sparring and rolling and cardio intensive exercise will put that there.

That part is a mental game. What do you got for that? methods for the mind in your regimen? can you explain them? are they derived from tma? or are the "vectored thinking patterns enhanced by elucidating the outflow of dopamines from the cerebral cortext" or some other equally mystifying terminology.

seriously, Im dying here.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

And as far as this self proclamed King of San Da that you have invented in your head. Back in the day you trained in my school we weren't partners. And as for any schools that you claim to be a part of you were just a Gopher fo Steve Ventura who put up with you because you were willing to work for free.

you talk like you have been in the buissnes your hole life, infact you just finaly got the balls to open your FIRST MA school.

Don't balme me if your Kung Fu sucked because you were to busy being a historian. You and I know you can't fight your way out of a wet paper bag.

Tick tock tick tock I'm waiting for your response
    Every time you make a challenge, you back out.

I think I will start a KF online betting pool on how long it takes you to back out of this one.

No, im not basing it on that, but I know you really...really want to assume that. It's cool Knife, I know what time it is with you and the subject.
    OK, then what are you basing it on, if not that?

That part is a mental game. What do you got for that? methods for the mind in your regimen? can you explain them? are they derived from tma?
    Simple.... competitions.

Every time you make a challenge, you back out.

I think I will start a KF online betting pool on how long it takes you to back out of this one.
    Knife there is only one difference me and Dave live in the sams state, don't forget that when I chalenged you I was willing to meet you in San diego since I have a student there that could put me up. If you were a no show I could still visit with my friends.

Think about who was doing the back pedeling, all you had to do was get in a car and drive a few hours. Look Im not trying to rehash something that won't ever happen since distance time and money a re an issue.

this is between me and Ross who seems to think it's wise to turn against me when I have always had full support for him, and always had his back.

So tick tock I'm waiting for a responce!!!!!!!

So tick tock I'm waiting for a responce!!!!!!!
    You will back down... I guarantee it.
    You will find some kind of lame-a$$ excuse.
    Your kind always does.

HTML Code:
    originally posted cjurakpt
    it's funny, because CTS's MO was to do with forms exactly what I talked about above - those sukers could go on forever, and a lot of it was the same old sequences separating a handful of "unique" moves; at the same time, his apps were very direct, and he didn't show a lot of flowery contrived stuff; unfortunately I never sat down and had a conversation with him about the purpose of forms in relation to fighting (lack of Chinese / maturity) - I really wonder what he'd have said about this discussion, I think it would have been interesting...Dave, any insights here?
    cjurakpt

Thank you for your comments! It would have been interesting to know what CTS' thoughts on forms were. From your description, my inference is that he clearly thought they were of some value (that some of the sequences were repeated ad nauseum would suggest they were considered important?), but the fact that the techniques he showed were all direct and to the point would suggest that there was much in the "arsenal" putatively contained in forms were deemed impractical.

OK, then what are you basing it on, if not that?
    well i'm not basing it on a one sided perception, I'm basing it on my life experience and all the stuff that comes and goes as we trip around the sun.

certainly not on bullshido clips. lol

Simple.... competitions.
    you figure that's the way? so what happens when the career terminates? Is everyone who doesn't fight competitively uselss in your eyes at that point? Cause Muhammad Ali sure is resting on his laurels then in your terms then isn't he? Honestly that's it? competitions? ok then.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Cleopatra, queen of denial

Dude, its so apparent you are desperate to believe that the forms you did and DO somehow aren't just a huge waste of time. Understandable on one level, but sort of sad

There are TONS of fighters who don't do forms at all.

There are TONS of forms champions who can't fight at all.... those who do both forms and some fighting NEVER stack up to those who just fight...

But believe whatever you want, it is still a free country

I can assure that that forms practice is not a waste of time. This is of course if the forms were tought properly.

If you watch cage matches, 90% can't really punch and kick well. yes, they are big, strong and fast, but they can't stand-up fight. It is a lot of garbage street boxing and half-ass kick boxing.

you figure that's the way? so what happens when the career terminates? Is everyone who doesn't fight competitively uselss in your eyes at that point? Cause Muhammad Ali sure is resting on his laurels then in your terms then isn't he? Honestly that's it? competitions?
    Competitions teach and give one the experience of continuing on even when you feel like quiting and when the other guy is beating the crap out of you... those are things that don't terminate with the end of the career.

Being a fighter is either in you or not and twenty years of training in "x" will not be the factor in what makes you pull that rabbit out of a hat
    Actually, I've been giving this more thought.

Maybe you are right. Maybe fighting cannot really be taught. Maybe fighters are born. That would explain why some people seek out hard core training and feel a compulsion to compete and test themselves against others in full-contact venues.

That would also explain all the guys who never seek out competition, but pretend they are fighters with their forms and pretend fighting always staying in the safety of their dojo.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 10-23-2006 at 08:07 PM.