Page 34 of 52 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: TUF Season 4 question

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel View Post
    We have sevenstar here who basically confirms that he thinks all kung fu in its many variations can't be used in competition so therefore none of it works. Both assumptions being wrong. You can make it work in competition.
    And he's a moderator of a CMA forum? That makes NO sense.

actually, I've never said that. However, I HAVE said that I would like to see bjj mixed with san shou and shuai chiao in mma. I have also said that CMA as it is trained in several places is incorrect for an mma venue. Where is the error in that? there isn't one. you can make it work in competition if you train appropriately.

Sure I'm a mod. I'm also a reader of the mag. I don't have to be a cma fan boy to mod a cma forum. I'm not against cma at all, just the bs that tends to be associated with it.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Green Cloud View Post
    I agree with you Sifu able, As I have said before I think Seven star is Knife Fighter or at least his side kick.

The only reason I spend time debating with these guys is because I know there are a lot of impressional kids that buy all this MMA UFC crap.

It's bad enough That Kung Fu represents a half percent of the MA that is out there,,,, Traditional MA is just about to reach extinction because of guys like them.

They can't understand that CMA is an art that offers empowerment, and culture. It teaches people to function on a higher plain. Instead these bozos tear CMA into peices.

None of there statements are ever backed up with any true factual info, and now Mr. seven has gone as far as to state that Brake dancing is a better physical activity.
    This is hilarious. you got me. I am knifefighter. And actually, part of the reason I debate is the same reason you do - There is ALOT of misconseption here about mma, cma and what each should be in terms of competition. deadly techniques, anti grappling... ugh.

there you go with break dancing again. I suggest you go back to this ghetto you claim you came from and talk to your friends again. Ask them about the takedowns, the knees, the elbows and the headbutts, then come back and tell me how it ought to be wu shu. However, regardless of how you feel about it, the fact is that training it gets them in great shape and prepares them for their venue - the roda. would they be successful in mma without changing some of the training methods and adding some ground work? No. just as I say about much cma. Unlike you, I'm not biased and wearing kung fu blinders.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    So, I trust the opposite extreme is also rejected?

No - that would make too much sense.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

A lot of people here could use a basic lesson in logic

Mary is a school teacher, Mary is a woman, Mary is from Michigan, All school teachers must have a degree, which of the following must be true?

1. All school teachers are women
    2. All school teachers are from Michigan
    3. Mary must have a degree

Now, here's a slightly harder one.... SIfu Abel can fight, he has trained forms, he has done sparring and focus mitts, which of the following must be true?

1. Forms are responsible for his fighting
    2. Sparring and focus mitts are responsible for his fighting, while forms have no relationship to his fighting

Discuss
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Is um, Mary single?

Forms have their use.

They organize the curriculum, condition, etc. However, it is important to practice them correctly with intent and understand applications. Forms are one part of the entire TCMA package. Fighting ability comes from conditioning, practicing techniques, sparring, etc. Forms organize all the techniques of a given style in a coherent manner. They serve their purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    They organize the curriculum, condition, etc. However, it is important to practice them correctly with intent and understand applications. Forms are one part of the entire TCMA package. Fighting ability comes from conditioning, practicing techniques, sparring, etc. Forms organize all the techniques of a given style in a coherent manner. They serve their purpose.
    Except that a little over 100 years ago, forms were NOT a major part of CMA. There are certainly better ways to "organize all the techniques of a given style in a coherent manner" isn't there?

In other fields of performance and movement, older ideas have been cast aside when proven to be incorrect, only TMA holds onto something for the sake that it was done a lot

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

lkfmdc

What better ways are there to organize all the techniques of a given style in a coherent manner?

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    What better ways are there to organize all the techniques of a given style in a coherent manner?
    boxing, thai boxing, savate, judo, jiu jitsu and wrestling all have tons of technique but yet no forms... are you suggesting they aren't organized or offered in a coherent manner?

I am not suggesting anything. I was just asking a question.

How do forms organize a system? LIke "well, you'll learn that technique when you learn the next form"? Not only a lazy way to teach, hardly a good way either. How about the instructor teaches you when you're ready to learn something new, after you've drilled it and gotten it down... how about the instructor keep an eye on the big picture rather than fall back on throwing a form at you and expecting you to "get it" from the form?

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    How do forms organize a system? LIke "well, you'll learn that technique when you learn the next form"? Not only a lazy way to teach, hardly a good way either. How about the instructor teaches you when you're ready to learn something new, after you've drilled it and gotten it down... how about the instructor keep an eye on the big picture rather than fall back on throwing a form at you and expecting you to "get it" from the form?
    The students ability and attitude is just as if not more important than the teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    The students ability and attitude is just as if not more important than the teacher.
    Very true. I understand that it is common for traditional sifus to give the whole package to those that are truly interested while tossing out only bits and pieces to those that aren’t.

thats probably not ethical if the agreement is money in exchange for instruction.

"better to reside in hell knowing the truth than to be blissfully ignorant in heaven."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."- Doug Adams

I dare you to make less sense!

"Freeze?! You know if i drop the tooth fairy i'm only gettin' started mother****er!"

"It's called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    This is hilarious. you got me. I am knifefighter. And actually, part of the reason I debate is the same reason you do - There is ALOT of misconseption here about mma, cma and what each should be in terms of competition. deadly techniques, anti grappling... ugh.

there you go with break dancing again. I suggest you go back to this ghetto you claim you came from and talk to your friends again. Ask them about the takedowns, the knees, the elbows and the headbutts, then come back and tell me how it ought to be wu shu. However, regardless of how you feel about it, the fact is that training it gets them in great shape and prepares them for their venue - the roda. would they be successful in mma without changing some of the training methods and adding some ground work? No. just as I say about much cma. Unlike you, I'm not biased and wearing kung fu blinders.
    You sooo don't nknow anything about me, what just because you just recently discovered elbows, knees and head buts you think that I don't use that as part of my arsenal.

That just shows how little you realy know.